The Student Room Group

Cambridge Math STEP 2

For those who took the STEP 2 paper today, how did you think it went and how would you compare its difficulty to those of previous years? Curious about everyone's opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought it was pretty similar to previous years. Maybe a couple questions were more straightforward this year but most years usually have a couple easier questions.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I thought it was pretty similar to previous years. Maybe a couple questions were more straightforward this year but most years usually have a couple easier questions.

Agree that the difficult was similar. Question 1 was pretty straightforward. The questions this year had a lot of parts, so for most of the questions it is possible to make decent progress on them, save for the last one or two parts. There were one or two questions which I just downright could not start on though.
I really liked question 3 and question 6. question 1 was a nice starter. q2 was ok until the very last part in my opinion and i could only make it half way through q4 and q7. overall id say not too bad
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by _jameswatson_
I really liked question 3 and question 6. question 1 was a nice starter. q2 was ok until the very last part in my opinion and i could only make it half way through q4 and q7. overall id say not too bad

Ah, 3 and 6 were decent. For me, 6 was manageable all the way until the very last two parts. 3 was fine; if I recall correctly I only struggled with the final integration part. 7 I kind of made it to the last part, but didn't manage to solve it. I barely did the first two parts of 2 and 4 though...
Ah, 3 and 6 were decent. For me, 6 was manageable all the way until the very last two parts. 3 was fine; if I recall correctly I only struggled with the final integration part. 7 I kind of made it to the last part, but didn't manage to solve it. I barely did the first two parts of 2 and 4 though...

i was stuck at part v) on q7 for ages i had no idea how to carry on xd. q4 looked doable at first (probably because it only took up a paragraph instead of a page) but i was wrong. for q2 i hope i was able to count correctly because it got quite tedious.
Reply 6
i was stuck at part v) on q7 for ages i had no idea how to carry on xd. q4 looked doable at first (probably because it only took up a paragraph instead of a page) but i was wrong. for q2 i hope i was able to count correctly because it got quite tedious.

Yeh hahaha for the last part I was struggling to solve some simultaneous equations because the numbers were huge, so I just gave my answers as fractions lol. I share the same sentiments about q4 - I just wasn't in the mood to expand the surds. q2 I kind of had some mental block, so I did not go beyond the first part.
Yeh hahaha for the last part I was struggling to solve some simultaneous equations because the numbers were huge, so I just gave my answers as fractions lol. I share the same sentiments about q4 - I just wasn't in the mood to expand the surds. q2 I kind of had some mental block, so I did not go beyond the first part.

yeah some annoying questions but some nicer ones as well. i shouldve probably done some mechanics prep tho because i reckon they wouldve been a better choice than q4 for me :/
Reply 8
yeah some annoying questions but some nicer ones as well. i shouldve probably done some mechanics prep tho because i reckon they wouldve been a better choice than q4 for me :/

Mm, personally I don't like stats but I might consider tackling the stats question for the next paper. Did you attempt Question 5 on the sequences, by the way?
Mm, personally I don't like stats but I might consider tackling the stats question for the next paper. Did you attempt Question 5 on the sequences, by the way?

no, i didnt do that one. was it good because it looked long xd
What questions did everyone do?
Reply 11
no, i didnt do that one. was it good because it looked long xd

Fair enough, respect that. All the best for STEP 3!
Fair enough, respect that. All the best for STEP 3!

you too!
Reply 13
Just wondering does anyone have a solution sketch for Q2? From what I can remember,

(i) required solving tan(θ) = tan(8θ) --> find = k(pi) + θ, k is integer and theta is between -(pi)/2 and (pi)/2, remove overcount in cyclic combinations
(ii) required solving tan(θ) = tan(27θ) --> find 27θ = k(pi) + θ, k is integer and theta is between -(pi)/2 and (pi)/2, also remove overcount of cases
(iii)(a) required solving cos(θ) = cos(8θ) --> find = 2k(pi) + θ and = 2k(pi) - θ, k is integer, and theta is between 0 and (pi), remove overcount.
(iii)(b) needed to be proved by contradiction.

Not sure if i missed something, or if this was entirely wrong to begin with :P
Did anyone get anything different?
Original post by hello193
Just wondering does anyone have a solution sketch for Q2? From what I can remember,

(i) required solving tan(θ) = tan(8θ) --> find = k(pi) + θ, k is integer and theta is between -(pi)/2 and (pi)/2, remove overcount in cyclic combinations
(ii) required solving tan(θ) = tan(27θ) --> find 27θ = k(pi) + θ, k is integer and theta is between -(pi)/2 and (pi)/2, also remove overcount of cases
(iii)(a) required solving cos(θ) = cos(8θ) --> find = 2k(pi) + θ and = 2k(pi) - θ, k is integer, and theta is between 0 and (pi), remove overcount.
(iii)(b) needed to be proved by contradiction.

Not sure if i missed something, or if this was entirely wrong to begin with :P
Did anyone get anything different?

sounds good to me except i didnt do the last part other than find the degree 8 polynomial
Reply 15
sounds good to me except i didnt do the last part other than find the degree 8 polynomial

Ahh I see. From what I can remember I think the last part involved showing that: if |x|>1, then eventually you'd get y>x, and by symmetry this could be extended to x>z>y>x which is impossible --> contradiction complete.

Got super confused on how to remove the overcounting though, and eventually I just gave up on it and ignored it altogether. To clarify the "overcounting" i was refering to, say in (i), just as an example I somehow got

= k(pi) + θ --> θ = (pi)/7 is a solution. This means that x = tan((pi)/7) y = tan(2(pi)/7), z = tan(-3(pi)/7) is a valid solution.

Contining, along, we get θ = 2(pi)/7 also being a solution, which means that x = tan(2(pi)/7), y = tan(-3(pi)/7), z = tan((pi)/7) is a valid solution, but it seemed to me that this was exactly the same as the θ = (pi)/7 case, meaning that there is an "overcount".

This seemed to also be true in (ii) and (iii), but I began spending way too much time on this problem so I just wrote the most obvious number of cases and didn't account for any sort of "overcounting".
Original post by hello193
Ahh I see. From what I can remember I think the last part involved showing that: if |x|>1, then eventually you'd get y>x, and by symmetry this could be extended to x>z>y>x which is impossible --> contradiction complete.

Got super confused on how to remove the overcounting though, and eventually I just gave up on it and ignored it altogether. To clarify the "overcounting" i was refering to, say in (i), just as an example I somehow got

= k(pi) + θ --> θ = (pi)/7 is a solution. This means that x = tan((pi)/7) y = tan(2(pi)/7), z = tan(-3(pi)/7) is a valid solution.

Contining, along, we get θ = 2(pi)/7 also being a solution, which means that x = tan(2(pi)/7), y = tan(-3(pi)/7), z = tan((pi)/7) is a valid solution, but it seemed to me that this was exactly the same as the θ = (pi)/7 case, meaning that there is an "overcount".

This seemed to also be true in (ii) and (iii), but I began spending way too much time on this problem so I just wrote the most obvious number of cases and didn't account for any sort of "overcounting".

thats clever contradiction there. My way of counting the solutions was that you would in the end cover all kpi/26 from k=-12 to +12. I would look through the triples and each of those would count for 6 because of the negative variant and its permutations (being 3). then i would cross off when i saw 1 (being +1 or -1), 2, 3 and so on until i had seen them all and then times by 6. also had to add 1 because k=0 but i think i forgot that looking back on it rip :/
does anyone how many parts question 5 was divided into?

for anyone who actually did question 5, in the second to last part (iirc), there was an inequality that was required to be shown. would contradiction be a valid method here? also, does anyone know if STEP marks nicely if you know what to do, but don't have time to do it? pretty sure the last part of q5 was a proof by induction, but i only finished the base case and assumption step before having to put my pen down. maybe i'll get a mark or two for that? Lmao
Reply 18
Original post by based TTMo1
does anyone how many parts question 5 was divided into?

for anyone who actually did question 5, in the second to last part (iirc), there was an inequality that was required to be shown. would contradiction be a valid method here? also, does anyone know if STEP marks nicely if you know what to do, but don't have time to do it? pretty sure the last part of q5 was a proof by induction, but i only finished the base case and assumption step before having to put my pen down. maybe i'll get a mark or two for that? Lmao

For induction, sometimes one mark is awarded to the base case and conclusion respectively, while other times both the base case and conclusion needs to be written just to obtain a single mark.
For those who took the STEP 2 paper today, how did you think it went and how would you compare its difficulty to those of previous years? Curious about everyone's opinions.

i would like to add on this to ask what you would predict as the boundaries (last years: S=81, 1 = 61,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending