The Student Room Group

"Sexy Plus Size Model Stuns on Catwalk" How is this acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cristinaprados
Ok i joined like 5 minutes ago so I don't really know what I'm doing but anyway:

saying that people of a bigger size should be banned from the fashion industry is absolutely disgusting and so disrespectful and rude.

saying that it is wrong of the media to promote such an 'un-healthy size' is really stupid?? women and girls that are bigger or do not meet society's expectations of perfect or whatever are never praised or told their bodies are beautiful so having 'plus-size' models on catwalks and in the media and fashion industry is probably a real confidence booster for some people. And did you know that thin people / people that look like healthy can actually be rotting from the inside, for example a slim person could eat loads of junk food everyday but have a fast metabolism. meanwhile their teeth are decaying and their arteries becoming clogged (I'm not good at science so I don't know if it's the arteries that get clogged with fat or something but whatever).

saying that girls aspire to be 'normal' is really hurtful and your post is making me really angry. girls aspire to be whatever they want??? yes, girls probably don't force themselves to put on weight to look like a 'plus size model' but saying that any other body type apart from slim or whatever society deems as 'normal' is just???? its just stupid and rude and it was really ignorant of you to post this. girls can aspire to be whatever they want so do NOT tell us what we do and don't aspire to be. is it okay then for the girls who throw up their dinner and starve themselves to aspire to be the stick thin models the media is constantly shoving down our throats?

obesity is just another modern day addiction. Smoking is massively frowned upon these days because it causes people to die prematurely. Why should fat people have a free ride with society and even have it promoted like it is here when it causes heart attacks, strokes, arthiritis. Causes people to die and NHS an absolute bomb.

People should be able to do what they want I agree (fat people can be fat if they wish). Promoting something is completely different.

It's funny because they are trying to change men's attitude in terms of what they find attractive in a woman. News Flash: Its impossible to change. Its like how Putin has banned gay propaganda to stop younger people becoming gay. Of course it makes no difference what propaganda you see - it wont change your sexuality nor your sexual preferences, like we have here.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Incorrect.

YOU are reducing this to feelings. I'm direct, you attribute that to feeling, I attribute that to the absence of feelings.

Fact: obesity makes an individual more susceptible to a number of life-shortening health conditions. Many in this thread want to condone obesity to spare people's hurt feelings, I've disagreed with that stance - I believe they want to condone obesity because they want to condone their own slovenly existence and feel better about themselves by defining it as the 'new normal.'

Obesity is not an acceptable lifestyle choice and no amount of 'feeling' is going to alter that fact. Promoting it as an acceptable lifestyle choice, appeasing it, is fundamentally irresponsible and self-serving.

Now, here's an idea: if you want to talk to me about something, how about you just address my points rather than addressing me as a person? In doing the latter, you are making the debate personal.

n.b. don't invoke research without citing it. Otherwise, it's fiction.

True. I shouldn't have made it a psychological evaluation, so I shall stick to the facts. I would appreciate it if you could similarly not accuse me of having "feelings" brought into this. I don't believe that "feelings" are a bad thing - much of how healthcare works is built around the patient, what they want and how society perceives decisions, e.g. Transplants - and I think it could be beneficial to consider thisin this case too. However if you do not wish to look at this as a holistical issue, then that is okay.

The main thing I had a problem with was your generalisation of obesity. There is a danger that closing ourselves off now could restrict any great scientific findings. (See below - I believe it is easier to understand than the research findings but should you want I can suggest the link)

http://greatist.com/grow/what-is-metabolically-healthy-obesity

That's not to say obesity or being underweightdue to an unhealthy lifestyle is right. I AGREE that we shouldn't give up on persuading others to live healthier. I only disagree with your language and stereotypical generalisations raised. You can help people without hurting their feelings

I am interested though - would you also shame severely underweight people? Given that your above points would be the same?

I really think though, to your original point, that the other point remains. Fashion does not represent society's views as a whole.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
I don't agree with celebrating morbidly obese bodies as if they're wonderful and healthy.... but... I actually don't think she's that big. Any bigger and I'd say she might be unhealthy but tbh, to my eyes, she's the top end of curvy. I think she looks great. Just my opinion.

Oh and the fashion industry is a piece of **** that will exploit any size of a woman's body so long as it will make them money, be that a 0 or a 32.
Original post by EllainKahlo
I never said it was but demonising people for their weight isn't helpful either.

People shouldn't have to spend their entire lives feeling as though, if I'm not between "x and y" I'm not acceptable and I shouldn't be allowed to leave the house or that would be 'promoting my lifestyle/weight." to others.

The issue is not that simple and yes, people's feelings do matter even when an epidemic is going on.

Of course no one should feel like an outcast if theyre not between x and y, like you said. No one should feel like an outcast if they smoke either. But as society we discourage behaviours that are detrimental to our population but at they end of the day people can still do them if they so wish. Take smoking, you can smoke if you wish so but advertising it is banned, in shops they are covered up so kids can't see them, and its banned in public places. Obesity is detrimental to our population too - extremely. Heart disease is the number one killer in the UK. Obesity causes massive strain on the heart. Therefore it should be discouraged publically to become obese. Therefore we shouldnt have obese models on show encouraging that detrimental obese lifestyle.
Original post by sqwertylol
Of course no one should feel like an outcast if theyre not between x and y, like you said. No one should feel like an outcast if they smoke either. But as society we discourage behaviours that are detrimental to our population but at they end of the day people can still do them if they so wish. Take smoking, you can smoke if you wish so but advertising it is banned, in shops they are covered up so kids can't see them, and its banned in public places. Obesity is detrimental to our population too - extremely. Heart disease is the number one killer in the UK. Obesity causes massive strain on the heart. Therefore it should be discouraged publically to become obese. Therefore we shouldnt have obese models on show encouraging that detrimental obese lifestyle.

Agreed.
Original post by TheStudent21
That's a very interesting point, Particularly the evolutionary reasons. But there was a quote in a newspaper which said that

"But with the online revolution and everyone having access to a public platform, there are increasing examples of popular things being attacked purely because they are popular, or some flimsy rationale like how the popular things actually has a negative effect on those who experience it (usually based on wild leaps of logic and little or no evidence) or that the popular thing is actually an attempt to push a specific ideology which differs from the criticisers own (again typically based on wild logic and unfounded speculation as to the motivations of the popular thing’s creators)."

No I agree that some people do lose it healthily. But do you have figures to show how many do? Medically speaking, not many patients carry on losing weight healthily in advice from their doctor (speaking from discussions with doctors, work experience etc). Would you agree that "fat-shaming" is partly to blame?

Public health is an interest of mine so it's fascinating to hear views on the extremes which posts like this generally attract.

I believe fat-shaming is partially to blame. However, another reason is often that we as humans want to go from 0-100mph instantly as if thats how it happens. Everything takes time but people expect or want overnight changes again another sadly common mindset of some in society today leading to extreme diets etc.. I do believe fat-shaming can have a psychologically negative response on some people but it's better than no response in my opinion. Evolutionarily we have evolved to be insecure so I would say its a complex issue indeed however with patience and time anything is possible.
She is a stunning woman but yeah, the media latch onto anything and make a big deal/money off anything these days, sigh. :frown:
1 and 2 are contradictory. How does making obese people ashamed help anyone, huh? What, so you want them to stay indoors for the rest of their life? Not have the courage to go to the gym or park to lose weight? Feel like people are judging them if they ask for help? And just marginalise them? Wouldn't that make the problem worse? Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

its the stick part of the carrot and stick approach. If people feel ashamed about something they don't want be like that anymore. It deters people from being fat and encourages already fat people to lose weight.

Its not contradictory - they are in fact heavily linked. If obesity is unacceptable then people who are fat will feel ashamed. You can't have a society where you have both its unacceptable but not shameful.

Take smoking. If your son began smoking at 21 you can't stop him smoking because hes old enough to make the choice but you would frown upon it and give him a talking to. Thats because smoking is unacceptable. The frowning and the talking to makes the son feel ashamed. Not a bad thing though is it, you're doing him a favour.

Too many fat people dont like feeling ashamed from being talked to about losing weight because they are insecure about their body image. Of course the first port of call for those people is to try being told to lose weight 'outlawed' and unacceptable. Thats because they dont like the feeling of being ashamed. But what alternative is there?? Just let them feel content until they personally decide to lose weight? Most people who are fat never lose it. And they die young. Tragic
Original post by Ladymusiclover
What are you talking about?. She looks of a healthy body weight. I was expecting to see an obese woman. She looks toned and curvaceous. Stunning.

how is she toned???? if thats toned then I'd hate to know what your definition of fat is.
Original post by Twinpeaks
BMI is a poor indicator of obesity too. Ideally it would be based on body fat percentage, but that's impractical.

people always say BMI is poor but it is a good indicator for a large proportion of the population.
It doesn't take into account muscle but not many people have enough muscle to make the bmi redundant
Original post by Twinpeaks
What eating disorder would lead to obesity?

the big mac disorder
Well, there's the answer. Your generation are different to our generation - we are moving towards NOT shaming others and are more open to new ideas and beliefs, as a generation, spurred by a digital era. You might not care about their feelings but I am waiting for a valid, practical solution from you to an obesity problem. Lowering others' self esteem does not help anyone, let alone yourself. People tried to shame other races, LGBTs, women etc. Has it ever worked in the long term?

But I do think it is an interesting point that others make - fashion doesn't choose to promote good health, only an idea of beauty.

its not a generational thing. its a feminism thing. body beautiful, girls can be sluts, marriage means nothing because of no-fault divorce, the list goes on.

Also you can't compare races to obesity. Obesity is choice. If people feel ashamed of being obese they won't want to be obese. Called deterrence.
If people are shamed because of race they can't just become a different one.
its the stick part of the carrot and stick approach. If people feel ashamed about something they don't want be like that anymore. It deters people from being fat and encourages already fat people to lose weight.

Its not contradictory - they are in fact heavily linked. If obesity is unacceptable then people who are fat will feel ashamed. You can't have a society where you have both its unacceptable but not shameful.

Take smoking. If your son began smoking at 21 you can't stop him smoking because hes old enough to make the choice but you would frown upon it and give him a talking to. Thats because smoking is unacceptable. The frowning and the talking to makes the son feel ashamed. Not a bad thing though is it, you're doing him a favour.

Too many fat people dont like feeling ashamed from being talked to about losing weight because they are insecure about their body image. Of course the first port of call for those people is to try being told to lose weight 'outlawed' and unacceptable. Thats because they dont like the feeling of being ashamed. But what alternative is there?? Just let them feel content until they personally decide to lose weight? Most people who are fat never lose it. And they die young. Tragic

To clarify my point, I don't think it is similar to the "carrot and stick approach". Simply because you are shaming people, hence they are less likely to seek help and lose weight in a healthy way. They won't go to the gym or park etc. Obese people trying to lose weight are sometimes hassled by strangers for being in public running etc, thus get discouraged and stop a regime, sometimes agreed on with a healthcare professional. Turning to illegal dieting pills/extreme diets would mean they do not become healthy. And they would die young or at least hurt themselves seriously if they turn to these "fad diets" or pills Wouldn't you say that shaming others would simply make the problem worse in this case?

I am simply stating that shaming people of other races, LGBTs, women etc has never helped. Shaming underweight people has never helped, though arguable you would say that they are in the same class of people as obese people. Shaming smokers did not help. It was only through displaying facts and educating them that the public as a whole understood the problems and smokers realised the dangers. Could this approach not work better, as opposed to simply "fat-shaming" which itself discourages people from trying to follow a healthy lifestyle?
Ŷ
its not a generational thing. its a feminism thing. body beautiful, girls can be sluts, marriage means nothing because of no-fault divorce, the list goes on.

Also you can't compare races to obesity. Obesity is choice. If people feel ashamed of being obese they won't want to be obese. Called deterrence.
If people are shamed because of race they can't just become a different one.

I disagree. I think it is a generational thing. I would like to know why you think it is a feminism thing.

I can, and do compare them. Bleaching skin is a common, and sometimes dangerous practice in some countries. They try to change their skin. Likewise excessive tanning is an issue too.

Leading me to the point that shaming others helps nobody, makes the situation worse, and does nothing for the accuser's own self esteem. Interested to hear your views on my previous post above.
R u really telling me you wouldn't mate???
To clarify my point, I don't think it is similar to the "carrot and stick approach". Simply because you are shaming people, hence they are less likely to seek help and lose weight in a healthy way. They won't go to the gym or park etc. Obese people trying to lose weight are sometimes hassled by strangers for being in public running etc, thus get discouraged and stop a regime, sometimes agreed on with a healthcare professional. Turning to illegal dieting pills/extreme diets would mean they do not become healthy. And they would die young or at least hurt themselves seriously if they turn to these "fad diets" or pills Wouldn't you say that shaming others would simply make the problem worse in this case?

I am simply stating that shaming people of other races, LGBTs, women etc has never helped. Shaming underweight people has never helped, though arguable you would say that they are in the same class of people as obese people. Shaming smokers did not help. It was only through displaying facts and educating them that the public as a whole understood the problems and smokers realised the dangers. Could this approach not work better, as opposed to simply "fat-shaming" which itself discourages people from trying to follow a healthy lifestyle?

obese people trying to lose weight are massively encouraged. I often see pictures on facebook of fat people working out and they got 1000s of likes.
If I take your argument where people dont feel ashamed and by implication being fat is acceptable in society - no one would encourage you to lose weight because its acceptable. Why would you want a society like that?
People who take diet pills are stupid because of how bad they are for you and also lazy people. They want to lose weight but they can't be bothered. They want the easy way out. There is no easy way out.
So few people take diet pills anyway. 74,000 people die of chonary heart disease per year in uk. diet pills deaths would be around 10 tops. No comparison.

People stopped smoking because it became unacceptable. It became unacceptable because of the health implications.
Being fat and eating too much is unacceptable because of the health implications also. We shouldnt say its acceptable now because it hurts people's feelings. The point is that if something is unacceptable it is frowned upon if people do it - like smoking - if your children began smoking you would seriously frown upon that. If people frown upon it then you will get people being ashamed of doing it because of how other people feel about it. It is impossible to get people to feel that obesity is unacceptable but at the same time not frown upon obese people. One causes the other.
Ŷ

I disagree. I think it is a generational thing. I would like to know why you think it is a feminism thing.

I can, and do compare them. Bleaching skin is a common, and sometimes dangerous practice in some countries. They try to change their skin. Likewise excessive tanning is an issue too.

Leading me to the point that shaming others helps nobody, makes the situation worse, and does nothing for the accuser's own self esteem. Interested to hear your views on my previous post above.

they bleach their skin because they think less black is a richer thing. Its not a race thing. More a status thing. Vybz Kartel, the biggest music star in jamaica, has heavily bleached his skin but not because people in jamaica are racist. Its a status thing.
Excessive tanning is beside the point. We were talking about how people are influenced to change. No one would be influenced to become black if they're white. They're just trying to look more attractive - not that I agree with it though, its a cancerous activity.

I think its a feminism thing (the body beautiful movement) because modern day feminism encourages women to do whatever they wish, in the name of girl power. I dont feel like debating feminism right now though.
obese people trying to lose weight are massively encouraged. I often see pictures on facebook of fat people working out and they got 1000s of likes.
If I take your argument where people dont feel ashamed and by implication being fat is acceptable in society - no one would encourage you to lose weight because its acceptable. Why would you want a society like that?
People who take diet pills are stupid because of how bad they are for you and also lazy people. They want to lose weight but they can't be bothered. They want the easy way out. There is no easy way out.
So few people take diet pills anyway. 74,000 people die of chonary heart disease per year in uk. diet pills deaths would be around 10 tops. No comparison.

People stopped smoking because it became unacceptable. It became unacceptable because of the health implications.
Being fat and eating too much is unacceptable because of the health implications also. We shouldnt say its acceptable now because it hurts people's feelings. The point is that if something is unacceptable it is frowned upon if people do it - like smoking - if your children began smoking you would seriously frown upon that. If people frown upon it then you will get people being ashamed of doing it because of how other people feel about it. It is impossible to get people to feel that obesity is unacceptable but at the same time not frown upon obese people. One causes the other.

That is an interesting point actually, and something that society I suppose struggles with. How to change people for the better, without looking down on them?

But would you say that smoking is less acceptable, because people shamed smokers? Or because smokers and the public realised the consequences?

That's the point I'm trying to make. I have never heard of a situation where shaming people has helped an issue. Only educating them. The vast majority of smokers quit with support from loved friends and family who did not "shame them" as it were - rather were concerned for them.

Likewise, becoming lighter, particularly in countries like India, is due to peer pressure. Maybe Jamaica is different, but in India, it is partially a class thing where they think the lighter you are, the more attractive you are. Tanning is used in an effort to look more "sun-kissed", I.e. Mediterranean.

Again, unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how you can believe that shaming others works. Simply from a psychological point of view, you are making their situation worse. Would you shame someone with anorexia? That's why I think educating people on the health consequences, rather than just saying "urrgh, you're so fat" would help better without having unforeseen negative mental consequences. I simply cannot see how destroying someone's self esteem could help them or is done with genuine concern for the other person's health, only how it could make the accuser make themselves feel better.
Original post by Drunk Punx
There's a difference between being overweight and being obese, and size 16 is definitely not the latter.

There's nothing wrong with having a bit of fat so long as it's not having an adverse effect on your health, so I don't see why the fashion industry should sink to your level of childish condemnation and ostracisation of people who have a dress size that's anything other than 8-10.

You've got to be joking. Judging by the photo in the article, she is without a doubt obese.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
What are you talking about?. She looks of a healthy body weight. I was expecting to see an obese woman. She looks toned and curvaceous. Stunning.

Wtf?!!? She's obese! Am I taking crazy pills?!!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending