The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2015

Scroll to see replies

I wonder why we don't have a 'Oxford Physics Applicants 2016' thread
Reply 581
Original post by hermionegrangcr
Based on the past reports, Oxford will automatically shortlist anyone who scores above this cut off mark (top 40%). The rest (6 applicants, I think?) are then shortlisted by other evidence of excellence e.g. your grades, etc.

It's a bit more than six people but yes, basically.
Original post by ferdy118
I wonder why we don't have a 'Oxford Physics Applicants 2016' thread

Nice point. Can we start a thread on the Oxford forum?
Original post by hermionegrangcr
Nice point. Can we start a thread on the Oxford forum?

Might be a good idea, I don't expect to see too much use with it considering we're all in direct competition now hahaha but I just thought if there was any discussion about the interview stage it might be nicer to have a separate thread.
They also add that extra candidates (unspecified nmber) may be added to the interview pool as part of their process to widen participation. Is this new for this year?
I'm afraid that, even though I got an invitation, the PAT scores average will be so high that it would be hard for me to get into Oxford...

What do you guys predict this year's average score gonna be? Somewhere around 55-60?
Original post by Herbiechester
They also add that extra candidates (unspecified nmber) may be added to the interview pool as part of their process to widen participation. Is this new for this year?

No. It's something that has been done for a few years (e.g. read the 2012 PAT report)
Interview for Engineering Science at University College, Oxford! Also one at Balliol :smile:
Just got interview for engineering science at Pembroke and University college. Sooooo excited!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
Original post by deduction123
I'm afraid that, even though I got an invitation, the PAT scores average will be so high that it would be hard for me to get into Oxford...

What do you guys predict this year's average score gonna be? Somewhere around 55-60?

If you've got an interview then it's possible to get in! (I got one mark above the interview cutoff and got a place) Don't worry about it and just try to do your best at interviews :smile:
When you receive interview from two colleges, do they send the email separately or altogether? I am still waiting for LMH and no other colleges reply me....
Reply 591
Hey guys! I have emailed Exeter and they said that the invitations to interview for Physics are not yet sent. NO PANIC!! :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 592
Original post by Yong Zheng Xin
When you receive interview from two colleges, do they send the email separately or altogether? I am still waiting for LMH and no other colleges reply me....

You'll only recieve an interview invitation from one college, then when you are there there'll be a noticeboard put up somewhere listing interviews at a second college.
Original post by yang323
Just got interview for engineering science at Pembroke and University college. Sooooo excited!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! I'm still waiting for an email. Eng sci too.
Original post by Lau14
If you've got an interview then it's possible to get in! (I got one mark above the interview cutoff and got a place) Don't worry about it and just try to do your best at interviews :smile:

How did you know your score? Do you mind telling the cutoff mark this year?

Thanks Thanks
Original post by dabigboy

Thanks Thanks

I have a feeling that this year's cutoff is in the high 60s, but I could be wrong.
Original post by deduction123

Congrats on getting an interview. Out of interest what score do you think you got around? Might help us find out what the cut-off score was.
Reply 597
Original post by dabigboy

Thanks Thanks

I applied last year, you can email them once offers are given out in January and ask for your score, so I don't know this years cutoff mark sorry!
Original post by Lau14
I applied last year, you can email them once offers are given out in January and ask for your score, so I don't know this years cutoff mark sorry!

How did you prepare for your interviews/what kinds of questions did they ask?
Reply 599
Original post by ferdy118
How did you prepare for your interviews/what kinds of questions did they ask?

Short answer is I didn't (do not recommend this approach as such, I wasn't particularly interested in actually going to Oxford at the time!), but being familiar with the PAT syllabus stuff and what you've been doing in class so far this year is a good idea I'd say. I was asked a lot of maths-y questions (straight maths or more mathematical physics questions), had to sketch quite a few graphs as well if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending