Do you believe in Global Warming?

Poll

Do you believe in Global Warming

Poll to see tsr's views here :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by balanced
Poll to see tsr's views here :biggrin:

Why such a limited choice of options?

Why not 'unsure,' 'not enough information.
Equivalent to asking if we believe in Gravity.
It's been proven beyond all reasonable doubt.
erm

yes :confused:
It's a mix between 2 and 3 so I put 3 as it's accelerated and multiplied the effect.
I knocked on Bruce Banner's door and told him all about global warming and carbon emissions and how polar bears are dying as a result of our actions.

He was so angry, he said he was going to turn green immediately.
Erm, yes...? It's definitely happening. But where's the option for "mixture of natural causes and human activity" as this is not an either/or answer here and the causes of climate change/global warming are not as black and white as the poll implies. (environmental science student here)
Can the one person who voted no be brave enough to reveal themselves? :lol:
I selected option 2. But is it happening right now? No. Here is a list of reasons why.

I talked about this with my Biology teacher. He said that global warming is just a lie in order for industries such as wind turbine making etc would make more profits. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have wind energy, solar energy etc because that saves our supply of fossil fuels since it is going to run out in about 40-70 years give or take. We might actually be in a stage of global cooling, you have seen the summers we have had, the one this year wasn't really hot as the years before. If there were to be global warming, then for example wouldn't the summer in the UK be consistently high?

My view on this is we need to stop relying on non-renewable energy and start relying on renewable energy, that's if we are going to be able to do what we need to do. Cars such as the Toyota Mirai runs on hydrogen, this would greatly decrease emissions and an alternative to other sources of energy.

EDIT: Our emissions today is nothing compared to dinosaur farts, which actually did cause global warming. Think I'm lying, google it.
(edited 8 years ago)
I selected the third option, but I would have liked to select two as well.

The planet goes through changes in temperature all the time, it is without a doubt however, that humans and our actions are affecting that change.

The problem is that when climate changes rapidly, life cannot adapt fast enough. The problem is this is exactly what is happening.
Original post by MrMackyTv
I selected option 2. But is it happening right now? No. Here is a list of reasons why.

I talked about this with my Biology teacher. He said that global warming is just a lie in order for industries such as wind turbine making etc would make more profits. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have wind energy, solar energy etc because that saves our supply of fossil fuels since it is going to run out in about 40-70 years give or take. We might actually be in a stage of global cooling, you have seen the summers we have had, the one this year wasn't really hot as the years before. If there were to be global warming, then for example wouldn't the summer in the UK be consistently high?

My view on this is we need to stop relying on non-renewable energy and start relying on renewable energy, that's if we are going to be able to do what we need to do. Cars such as the Toyota Mirai runs on hydrogen, this would greatly decrease emissions and an alternative to other sources of energy.

EDIT: Our emissions today is nothing compared to dinosaur farts, which actually did cause global warming. Think I'm lying, google it.

No, firstly the effect is far more in the seas (if you're a sea creature in a calcium shell it's going to be a rough ride) and localised cooling isn't inconsistent with it, even if we go for global warming idea rather than the more accurate climate change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No, firstly the effect is far more in the seas (if you're a sea creature in a calcium shell it's going to be a rough ride) and localised cooling isn't inconsistent with it, even if we go for global warming idea rather than the more accurate climate change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. It should actually be called climate change, not global warming. However, it still is true, dinosaurs actually did worse than us so right now I don't think we have a good reason to be calling this global warming.
I agree. It should actually be called climate change, not global warming. However, it still is true, dinosaurs actually did worse than us so right now I don't think we have a good reason to be calling this global warming.

Yes, and as a result the world was at least 10°C warmer than it is today and most non-reptilian land animals became extinct. Saying that we can forget about our greenhouse gas emissions because we still won't be as bad as the dinosaurs is like saying that we can forget about the Ebola outbreak in West Africa because it's still not as bad as the Black Death.
Why should I believe in it? What’re you talking about?
Governments are running around the world dropping depleted uranium all over the earth, sitting there letting nuclear weapons off underneath the sea and the rest of us, what’re we gonna do?
Sit at home with a special lightbulb and a shopping bag for life...?
:angry:
In reality, it's actually a mixture of both. The carbon cycle occurs naturally but finds equilibrium through feedback systems.

Humans are artificially releasing carbon that should be in storage by the act of burning fossil fuels. The human component is so large now that it's not worth mentioning the natural side anymore.

Its proper name is climate change. Yes the dinosaurs did a lot worse than us. The ocean became acidic as well as anoxic and virtually all marine life died. As you know, were dependant on other life for food etc. Not to mention crop failure.
Yes, I'm yet to encounter any serious arguments against anthropogenic climate change (that is arguments supported by a large body of peer reviewed papers, not some crap off the internet). Combined with the holocene extinction, how we are stripping the planet of its biodiversity at a rate never seen in earth's history, does not give me a very positive view of humanity.
Reply 17
It's well known that data is manipulated to gain more government grants. Just thought I'd add a nice peer reviewed study :biggrin:
http://www.int-res.com/articles/cr2003/23/c023p089.pdf
Global warming is a bad name to give climate change because it implies that all areas are going to get warmer.

In the case of the UK, we would actually get much colder because of the affect of the North Atlantic Drift.

The problem with the voting options is that both option two and three are true. Climate change is a natural phenomen but we are enhancing (accelerating) it, hence why enhanced climate change is a much better name for global warming and this is why the IPCC has adopted this term.
Yes however I think humans are adding to it somewhat rather than 100% responsible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending