The Student Room Group

DESPERATE EPQ help/advice

Hi,

So my EPQ deadline is in a few weeks however i have less than 1 week to submit my draft to be marked etc for when I get back after Easter. I am feeling very stressed about a number of things that I keep seeing everwhere but havent been mentioned in class. For example, the literature review??? I see everyone talking about it, yet have no clue what it is or what I am supposed to do with it. I am also confused about my referencing/citations as I have had little guidance in regards to that too. I am also confused with my sources that I have gathered and how much I have to write about them, analyse them and evaluate them. At the moment I am 9000 ish words including many quotes and all sorts of stuff and I am worried about having too many words.

My production log has been barely touched as I did not get it sent to me until last week and I have no clue what it is supposed to include, any tips on the production log and anything I can include to boost my marks would be greatly appreciated. It seems to me that all the focus has been on just writing an essay and there has been little mention of keeping tabs of any websites etc used.
I am also yet to do my presentation which I am very nervous about as I dont know what needs to be included

Absolutely any help, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!
Original post by confusedlime
Hi,

So my EPQ deadline is in a few weeks however i have less than 1 week to submit my draft to be marked etc for when I get back after Easter. I am feeling very stressed about a number of things that I keep seeing everwhere but havent been mentioned in class. For example, the literature review??? I see everyone talking about it, yet have no clue what it is or what I am supposed to do with it. I am also confused about my referencing/citations as I have had little guidance in regards to that too. I am also confused with my sources that I have gathered and how much I have to write about them, analyse them and evaluate them. At the moment I am 9000 ish words including many quotes and all sorts of stuff and I am worried about having too many words.

My production log has been barely touched as I did not get it sent to me until last week and I have no clue what it is supposed to include, any tips on the production log and anything I can include to boost my marks would be greatly appreciated. It seems to me that all the focus has been on just writing an essay and there has been little mention of keeping tabs of any websites etc used.
I am also yet to do my presentation which I am very nervous about as I dont know what needs to be included

For the literature review, I did a table of all my sources, with the date accessed, how reliable they are (e.g. are they peer-reviewed? is it an observational study, meta-analysis etc?) other people in my year did like a few paragraphs of only their top few sources in-depth though. I did a course about EPQ on future learn which I found good at explaining citations etc so I recommend that, I think it was by bath uni. make sure to include lots of reflection in the production log, including any changes to your plan e.g. topic/title, content and why you made them, e.g. "I originally chose to write my project on what global warming is, but I felt this question was too closed and the answer was too simple, so I decided to change my title to 'To what extent is deforestation to blame for global warming?' to allow greater depth in my answer". Include any changes made from meetings with you supervisor, e.g. "my supervisor pointed out that I had not used a wide range of resources, so I read X book and Y article to learn more about my topic". In terms of the sources you haven't kept tabs on, look through your search history to make sure you can find the sources you used. For the presentation, it's not a big deal, I basically included my topic, why I chose it/its significance, what my essay covered, my conclusion, what my aims were going into the process, what I learned from it and how this will help me in future. Best of luck with it all!
Original post by bea_murray0
For the literature review, I did a table of all my sources, with the date accessed, how reliable they are (e.g. are they peer-reviewed? is it an observational study, meta-analysis etc?) other people in my year did like a few paragraphs of only their top few sources in-depth though. I did a course about EPQ on future learn which I found good at explaining citations etc so I recommend that, I think it was by bath uni. make sure to include lots of reflection in the production log, including any changes to your plan e.g. topic/title, content and why you made them, e.g. "I originally chose to write my project on what global warming is, but I felt this question was too closed and the answer was too simple, so I decided to change my title to 'To what extent is deforestation to blame for global warming?' to allow greater depth in my answer". Include any changes made from meetings with you supervisor, e.g. "my supervisor pointed out that I had not used a wide range of resources, so I read X book and Y article to learn more about my topic". In terms of the sources you haven't kept tabs on, look through your search history to make sure you can find the sources you used. For the presentation, it's not a big deal, I basically included my topic, why I chose it/its significance, what my essay covered, my conclusion, what my aims were going into the process, what I learned from it and how this will help me in future. Best of luck with it all!

Thank you so much!!! Really does mean the world to have some useful advice <3
Hi,

If you let me know what your project is I can give you further advice, I know a good amount about literature reviews so can tell you what to put.

Also not to alarm you but isn't the word count 5000 words?
Reply 4
Production log: mine was formatted in a table, with columns for dates i did work on my project, what I did (any why if applicable e.g. title changes), any next steps, problems/issues i faced (if any), and skills developed

As for the presentation, mine was basically the same as what was mentioned in post #2 :biggrin:

Try and do an overall evaluation of the project too near the end - what went well (e.g. time management) what you'd do differently next time, skills gained etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Useful info in all above posts. Your production log should record your journey from start to finish. This is an important part. See if you can do your log in as much detail as possible. The log could record how you decided on the title and changes to the title and why. You could even attach a mind map of title ideas as an appendix.

You could do a table of your sources as explained above for your literature review. It is important to look at the reliability of sources (as said above, things like has the journal article been peer-reviewed). Also consider the issue of possible bias in your references.

If you are Harvard referencing there is stuff online telling you how to do it. Your supervisor can give you details too.

There is a book on references which is good if you can afford it and order it in enough time and want a book as well as online guidance. It is a pain to spend money though.

Cut your word count down to 5000. Write economically. Cut out repetition and unnecessary words. It is surprising how much you will be able to chop out if you try. You could keep your abstract brief...say max 200 words or less, then intro, discussion, conclusion etc.

Don't panic. Lots do it at the last minute. Just get stuck in and do it. Get it in as final version as possible in the time you have for the initial draft marking.

There is guidance on what your presentation should cover which is pretty much summarised in the above posts. It is an opportunity to pick up further marks. You can focus on the presentation once you have done the essay. Many people do a PowerPoint presentation.

Also have evidence of time management. It could be a Gaant chart as an appendix. You could show changes to the time plan and why and how you dealt with it as in you reprioritised. This could also be recorded in the log.

See if you can include a bit of original thinking and some higher level analysis.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cote1
Useful info in all above posts. Your production log should record your journey from start to finish. This is an important part. See if you can do your log in as much detail as possible. The log could record how you decided on the title and changes to the title and why. You could even attach a mind map of title ideas as an appendix.

You could do a table of your sources as explained above for your literature review. It is important to look at the reliability of sources (as said above, things like has the journal article been peer-reviewed). Also consider the issue of possible bias in your references.

If you are Harvard referencing there is stuff online telling you how to do it. Your supervisor can give you details too.

There is a book on references which is good if you can afford it and order it in enough time and want a book as well as online guidance. It is a pain to spend money though.

Cut your word count down to 5000. Write economically. Cut out repetition and unnecessary words. It is surprising how much you will be able to chop out if you try. You could keep your abstract brief...say max 200 words or less, then intro, discussion, conclusion etc.

Don't panic. Lots do it at the last minute. Just get stuck in and do it. Get it in as final version as possible in the time you have for the initial draft marking.

There is guidance on what your presentation should cover which is pretty much summarised in the above posts. It is an opportunity to pick up further marks. You can focus on the presentation once you have done the essay. Many people do a PowerPoint presentation.

Also have evidence of time management. It could be a Gaant chart as an appendix. You could show changes to the time plan and why and how you dealt with it as in you reprioritised. This could also be recorded in the log.

See if you can include a bit of original thinking and some higher level analysis.

thank you!!!!!!!
Original post by nedflanders123
If you let me know what your project is I can give you further advice, I know a good amount about literature reviews so can tell you what to put.

Also not to alarm you but isn't the word count 5000 words?

i am slightly concerned about the word count
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

What was your grade in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending