The Student Room Group

Actuary without Further Maths

I'm now doing my A Levels, studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.
I had 7A*s 2As and a B at GCSES. I was considering medicine at university so didn't take Further maths, but I'm now considering Actuary in Finance. Teachers have said it's too late to do Further Maths as we are a month into school.
I'm aiming to go to top unis like Imperial, UCl, etc. My question is, is there a way to get a career in actuary but by doing a degree in something like Chemistry or Biochemistry with management where the university doesn't ask for Further maths in order to study for the course? And will I be at loss for not doing Further maths?
Reply 1
Original post by Soniachahal
I'm now doing my A Levels, studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.
I had 7A*s 2As and a B at GCSES. I was considering medicine at university so didn't take Further maths, but I'm now considering Actuary in Finance. Teachers have said it's too late to do Further Maths as we are a month into school.
I'm aiming to go to top unis like Imperial, UCl, etc. My question is, is there a way to get a career in actuary but by doing a degree in something like Chemistry or Biochemistry with management where the university doesn't ask for Further maths in order to study for the course? And will I be at loss for not doing Further maths?

A month isn't too late to start doing Further maths, plenty of us self-teach the whole subject anyway, I'm sure you can catch up on a month or two. Convince your teacher to let you do this, offer to let them set you a test on the topics already covered to see whether you really do have them mastered.
Yeah that is a good idea. Many actuaries don't do actuarial science. As long as you do something quantitative like a science (biochemistry or so,etching like that is fine) you will be able to get a job as a student actuary.

Also, you don't need further maths do an actuarial science degree at most universities, although they prefer it if you do.

Try and take statistics modules ( pic you're doing edexcel maths do S1 and S2). It may still be possible to change modules if you're currently doing mechanics. Statistics is the main maths in actuarial science.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
A month isn't too late to start doing Further maths, plenty of us self-teach the whole subject anyway, I'm sure you can catch up on a month or two. Convince your teacher to let you do this, offer to let them set you a test on the topics already covered to see whether you really do have them mastered.

I will try doing do that, but in case it doesn't work, is there a good chance of me getting a job in actuary provided I get the grades I need? If it isn't, I will stick to medicine.
Reply 4
I will try doing do that, but in case it doesn't work, is there a good chance of me getting a job in actuary provided I get the grades I need? If it isn't, I will stick to medicine.

Yes, plenty of people with non-actuarial science degrees work as an actuary. Quantitative and analytical skills are all that's needed for the job. I've heard of people with a history degree being hired to work in actuarial firms/investment banking due to their analytical skills.

But Further maths is never the less an enjoyable experience and will definitely help shape your mathematical skills, I highly recommend it!
Reply 5

I asked at my school today and they now said I probably could change to doing Further Maths, but it will be a lot to catch up on. They also said I should drop one other subject so that I don't have too much to do.
In the case, should I drop Econ since I want to also keep doors open for medicine?
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Yes, plenty of people with non-actuarial science degrees work as an actuary. Quantitative and analytical skills are all that's needed for the job. I've heard of people with a history degree being hired to work in actuarial firms/investment banking due to their analytical skills.

But Further maths is never the less an enjoyable experience and will definitely help shape your mathematical skills, I highly recommend it!

I spoke about Further Maths at school today and they said I may be able to change and do it, but I may need to drop something otherwise there will be a lot to catch up on. Should I drop Economics so that I have doors open for Medicince too?
Reply 7
I spoke about Further Maths at school today and they said I may be able to change and do it, but I may need to drop something otherwise there will be a lot to catch up on. Should I drop Economics so that I have doors open for Medicince too?

What subjects do you currently do? In the end, it's all up to you and your teachers to judge your capacity and what you can (reasonably) handle.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
What subjects do you currently do? In the end, it's all up to you and your teachers to judge your capacity and what you can (reasonably) handle.

I do biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I'm scared it will be too much doing five subjects and we have mocks approaching in November.
Reply 9
I do biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I'm scared it will be too much doing five subjects and we have mocks approaching in November.

I would advise dropping economics, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest