The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-watt or edinburgh?!

Hi! I am super stuck right now.

I am studying mathematics to hopefully be an actuary (hopefully). I also love business and statistics.

I have a conditional for Edinburgh to get an B at advanced higher at Maths which I think will be fine to go for Mathematics and Business. I can still become one from that course. However, I have an unconditional from Heriot-Watt for Maths, stats and actuarial science. See, I love both campuses however Edinburgh is extremely well known and prestigious but Heriot watt is known for their sciences for being an actuary. Logically it would make sense to go to Heriot-Watt however I love Edinburgh.

Please help!
Real Madrid or Wrexham AFC?
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by topgingernerd
Hi! I am super stuck right now.

I am studying mathematics to hopefully be an actuary (hopefully). I also love business and statistics.

I have a conditional for Edinburgh to get an B at advanced higher at Maths which I think will be fine to go for Mathematics and Business. I can still become one from that course. However, I have an unconditional from Heriot-Watt for Maths, stats and actuarial science. See, I love both campuses however Edinburgh is extremely well known and prestigious but Heriot watt is known for their sciences for being an actuary. Logically it would make sense to go to Heriot-Watt however I love Edinburgh.

Please help!

Hi,

I've just about to go into my second year at Heriot so I can answer any questions you might have? I do Comp Sci so it's a little different but if you want to know anything about campus or societies or the Oriam or getting into Edinburgh and back I'd be happy to help. With heriot, your city is still Edinburgh most people live in Edinburgh in their 2nd, 3rd etc. years. In first year it might take a bus to get there but you 100% feel part of the city.

I've done 2 maths courses in my first year - no clue if they're the same ones that you would do - but the teachers were amazing. I like maths but I much prefer Computer science (obviously) but these teachers actually got me excited to go to the maths classes.

The campus is beautiful!!!!!!!!! I've seen lots of rabbits, squirrels, ducks, swans and my personal favourite a couple of deer and a stag. It feels like being in a national park most of the time. If you decide to go to Heriot and can live on campus for your first year I'd highly recommend it. I'm going to miss it so much this coming year. With being a campus uni I've found that you get to know SO many people, I never went anywhere without seeing a friendly face.

The library is gorgeous, you wouldn't think it looking at the building but you step inside and it's SO nice. There are these booth seats that you have to be quick to get in exam season but they are the comfest things ever. It's on a system where the higher the floor the more silent it is with the top floor being completely silent. The top floor also has the most amazing view.

I think that's all I can think of off the top of my head. A bit muddled but I hope it helps a little bit. Please ask any questions you can think of! Both Heriot and Edinburgh are great Unis - I'm obviously biased toward Heriot because it's my Uni - but either option you'll have a great time. :smile:

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Reply 3
If being an actuary is your goal then HW is the obvious choice. Graduates from the actuarial science degree are what actuarial grad scheme really want since people with that degree are half way qualified already. It's less investment on their part. MSAS (the degree you have an offer for) isn't the "proper" actuarial science degree since it allows to to choose modules from both actuarial science and maths plus you can lean much more heavily in one direction if you don't want to go straight down the middle. MSAS students can switch degrees up to the end of second year (I believe), assuming your grades are good enough so it gives you options.

Maths and business at Edinburgh will be quite a different degree since it'll be a 50/50 split between maths and business modules and therefore is a less mathematical degree than the HW ones.

It's worth pointing out that business modules will be stuff that you might have found in higher business management (if you did that). It's very unlikely there will be any maths topics. Actuarial science is basically a branch of statistics which is applied to finance. Take your time to think more about if you'd rather study a maths (and statistics) degree or a half maths half business degree since they're not the same thing.
Original post by LawStudent456
Real Madrid or Wrexham AFC?

Wrexham!!

Quick Reply

Latest