The Student Room Group

limewater cw, why???

I am doing the OCR coursework for AS, to determine the concentration of limewater through titration with hydrochloric acid, but Im finding it difficult to explain why we need to dilute the HCl acid before titrating.. the concentration of limewater is approximately 1g /dm3

To determine the exact concentration of the limewater, we need to dilute the hydrochloric acid to a more suitable concentration as 2.00M is too high

but whyyy???:frown: :frown: :confused: :confused:

Thanks in advance..
Reply 1
if you use 2M, im guessing you will have to titrate out such a small amount of acid that it will be really inaccurate- or something like that. To be honest, I'm not sure, but that's a possiblility:smile:
Reply 2
thank you.. :smile: :smile:
Reply 3
another question..

I know that the limewater is 1 g/dm3, but Im trying to get it in mol/dm3, which equation do I need to use.. I know it is some kind of manipulation of Mass = Moles x RAM, but I don't know how to write that down?..

Thanks..
Reply 4
what else do you talk about in the planning of this coursework, im stuck!!

Thank you.. :smile:
Reply 5
n0b0dy
another question..

I know that the limewater is 1 g/dm3, but Im trying to get it in mol/dm3, which equation do I need to use.. I know it is some kind of manipulation of Mass = Moles x RAM, but I don't know how to write that down?..

Thanks..

to get it into mol/dm3 , you need to use n= mass/ relative atomic mass.

so it would be moles= 1/ whatever the relative atomic mass is :smile:
Reply 6
with planning, you just have to be as detailed as possible. how much info are you given?
Reply 7
just that the limewater is approx. 1 g/dm3, and we can have excess 2M HCl acid, to find out the conc of the limewater..
Reply 8
oh ok. well, just make sure you write as much detail as possible- for example make sure you put things like washing the burette through with the acid first
Reply 9
thanks so much.. :smile:
Reply 10
no worries :smile:

P.S- thanks for the rep :biggrin:

Latest