The Student Room Group

which calculator; the fx-991cw or fx-991ex

hii so recently i bought a new calculator- the fx-991cw- which I'm in love with its so good but I was thinking about whether the f-991ex is better- so I wanted peoples opinion on them both. the ex looks easier to use as it has the same design as the normal calculator but cw looks like it has more options to pick from.
Pls help :smile:
Reply 1
I prefer the EX because the keyboard layout and user interface is closer to the older Casio calculators that I'm very used to.

For A level maths study I don't think there's a difference in their capabilities.
Reply 2
The cw model is the class wiz version and may well be the one that is most common in your school. In which case, choose that.
Casio website implies cw is slightly newer variant. https://www.casio.co.uk/fx-991cw#:~:text=The%20Casio%20fx%2D991%20CW,A%2FAS%20level%20and%20Highers.

I doubt it will make any difference, what is important is being familiar & comfortable with whatever calculator you use. When it comes to exams slight differences in functionality are generally unimportant ultimately exams are testing your mathematical ability not ability to press buttons on a keyboard.

I actually used to use a standard 991 casio (much older version with a much worse display then you lot use nowadays) over a graphical one at A-level just because I found it faster.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Casio website implies cw is slightly newer variant. https://www.casio.co.uk/fx-991cw#:~:text=The%20Casio%20fx%2D991%20CW,A%2FAS%20level%20and%20Highers.

I doubt it will make any difference, what is important is being familiar & comfortable with whatever calculator you use. When it comes to exams slight differences in functionality are generally unimportant ultimately exams are testing your mathematical ability not ability to press buttons on a keyboard.

I actually used to use a standard 991 casio (much older version with a much worse display then you lot use nowadays) over a graphical one at A-level just because I found it faster.

Well I have a 1982 HP11C which I have been using for all this years. Still, just about the best quality calculator ever made. When I did my exams I used a slide rule.

Quick Reply

Latest