The Student Room Group

A-level English Literature Coursework

Hi! Im beginning my research into what books I should study and compare for my coursework and was wondering if anyone had any book suggestions that would have alot to write about on relationships/gender oppression or tragedy? Or any other theme’s that has worked out for you, ty xx
Reply 1
Hey!! I wrote my A-level English coursework on relationships/gender too and I compared 'A Doll's House' by Henrik Ibsen and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall' by Anne Bronte - I think they both have a lot that you can discuss and would be good to look into!! Good luck with your coursework :smile:
Original post by r.mnagaleswaran
Hi! Im beginning my research into what books I should study and compare for my coursework and was wondering if anyone had any book suggestions that would have alot to write about on relationships/gender oppression or tragedy? Or any other theme’s that has worked out for you, ty xx

Hi! I just completed my CW. A text like The Yellow Wallpaper is good and popular for these themes. Shakespeare is always useful too but that depends on preference. I did my CW on marriage with Shakespeare and Wilde but that was focused on comedies and less so tragedy. I agree that Brontes work well for these themes - comparing something like Wuthering Heights to a text of Austen's could be interesting if you want to compare more tragic texts to happier ones. Maybe something like the Great Gatsby? The Handmaid's Tale or The Color Purple are also potentially good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending