The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
There certainly is a lot of ignorance amound scientists.

What you describe is not desirable imo. It's what happens when we all get regimented into focused little drones only focusing on our little sphere of life. We are not encouraged to think.

You also get this subject divide within physics... Theoretical and mathematical physicists will look down on experiential physicists, who look down on borderline engineers/scientists in industries and so on.

Also people like me are only at university due to the industrial revolution and my only purpose is to be a technician/engineer in the cogs of industrial capitalism. Why teach machinery philosophy? As long as said machine can do the maths that's all that matters. I would argue that the political economy shapes university education for a loads of people. @somethingbeautiful would probably agree with me :frown:

I agree with you here.

They should teach the philosophy behind science as part of people's science education imo.

I'd like to think that people on vocational degrees or academic science degrees are learning more than just ''how to be a Chemist/Pharmacist/Physicist/Mathematician'' etc. University should have an element of learning for the sake of learning or enlightenment, not just learning as a means to an end. Otherwise, university just boils down to a cookie cutter system designed to churn out cardboard cut out graduates who function in their field and no where else beyond it.

As, arguably, useless as a Philosophy degree is in terms of employment, the saving grace of it is that it gives you the tools and a sliver of light/enlightenment/clarity which allows you to actually think for yourself, question rules/authority/norms and see beyond the smoke and mirrors of society.

The problem, though, is that you become very aware of things but due to the lack of economic leverage of such a degree, you also become a useless little cog in the big machine, so you're discarded onto the scrap heap. You can either be an enlightened useless cog or an unenlightened useful cog. There's a crossover in a rare few, but for the vast majority - that's the general rule.
English Literature, Foreign Languages, or History.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I'd like to think that people on vocational degrees or academic science degrees are learning more than just ''how to be a Chemist/Pharmacist/Physicist/Mathematician'' etc. University should have an element of learning for the sake of learning or enlightenment, not just learning as a means to an end. Otherwise, university just boils down to a cookie cutter system designed to churn out cardboard cut out graduates who function in their field and no where else beyond it.

As, arguably, useless as a Philosophy degree is in terms of employment, the saving grace of it is that it gives you the tools and a sliver of light/enlightenment/clarity which allows you to actually think for yourself, question rules/authority/norms and see beyond the smoke and mirrors of society.

The problem, though, is that you become very aware of things but due to the lack of economic leverage of such a degree, you also become a useless little cog in the big machine, so you're discarded onto the scrap heap. You can either be an enlightened useless cog or an unenlightened useful cog. There's a crossover in a rare few, but for the vast majority - that's the general rule.

So when we have an economic and social system in place that pushes a whole load of people from social economic backgrounds that make up the majority of society away from learning how to think....

It makes it look like the changes being made are made by the sorts of people who can do philosophy degrees and know how to erect smoke and mirrors to keep the cogs from even realizing they are cogs, never mind doing anything about being cogs. Unenlightened cogs are more useful and easier to tell what to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So when we have an economic and social system in place that pushes a whole load of people from social economic backgrounds that make up the majority of society away from learning how to think....

It makes it look like the changes being made are made by the sorts of people who can do philosophy degrees and know how to erect smoke and mirrors to keep the cogs from even realizing they are cogs, never mind doing anything about being cogs. Unenlightened cogs are more useful and easier to tell what to do.

In the short term yes, but not in the long term for the sake of society. Unfortunately our political system is very over-concerned with short term goals though... because most governments are not going to be rewarded with more votes to stay in power for aiding folks 200 years down the line... I think it's a problem of democracy but alas I am not sure how to go about solving it.
why isn't anyone saying sociology? 🤧

Latest

Trending

Trending