The Student Room Group

Can I study history if I didn't do It in A Levels

So I keep thinking about whether or not I want to go university and if I did I would most likely do a history degree. The thing is I never studied history in college I did media. So could I still do a history degree or not? I have looked at foundation years but I'm not sure if that would apply to me. I have also thought if it's possible to do some online study for history A levels first but I haven't found anything yet.
(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Johnbon67u8o
So I keep thinking about whether or not I want to go university and if I did I would most likely do a history degree. The thing is I never studied history in college I did media. So could I still do a history degree or not? I have looked at foundation years but I'm not sure if that would apply to me. I have also thought if it's possible to do some online study for history A levels first but I haven't found anything yet.

There are actually two questions here:
1. Can I study History at university without having studied it at A level?
2. Can I study History at university having done "media" college?

The answer to the first question is a definite "Yes". Pick some universities at random, visit their web site, and check their entry requirements. Some will specify a requirement for previous study in History; some will not. (For an example if one that doesn't, see University if East Anglia, here).

The answer to the second question depends on what you mean by "I did media". Is this a BTEC? What is the full title of the course? For example, "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Creative Digital Media Production" or "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Creative Media Practice".

The full title of the course is important, but what's particularly important is the bit which says "Diploma", "Extended Certificate", or whatever.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There are actually two questions here:
1. Can I study History at university without having studied it at A level?
2. Can I study History at university having done "media" college?

The answer to the first question is a definite "Yes". Pick some universities at random, visit their web site, and check their entry requirements. Some will specify a requirement for previous study in History; some will not. (For an example if one that doesn't, see University if East Anglia, here).

The answer to the second question depends on what you mean by "I did media". Is this a BTEC? What is the full title of the course? For example, "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Creative Digital Media Production" or "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Creative Media Practice".

The full title of the course is important, but what's particularly important is the bit which says "Diploma", "Extended Certificate", or whatever.

This is the full title of the course I did.
Level 3 Extended Diploma Creative Media Film and Broadcast Production. Also what about foundation years. Is it still worth looking at universities with them as an option
This is the full title of the course I did.
Level 3 Extended Diploma Creative Media Film and Broadcast Production. Also what about foundation years. Is it still worth looking at universities with them as an option

That's great, thank you. There do appear to be History degrees which you can access via that BTEC. For example for their History BA, Brunel ask for "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma DDM" and make no mention of it having to be in a particular subject, or having any history content. See here for details.

It's also worth potentially looking at degrees with a foundation year too. Anyone can apply to these degrees. They simply add an extra year to the start of the degree, and lower the entry requirements as a result.
Reply 4
That's great, thank you. There do appear to be History degrees which you can access via that BTEC. For example for their History BA, Brunel ask for "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma DDM" and make no mention of it having to be in a particular subject, or having any history content. See here for details.

It's also worth potentially looking at degrees with a foundation year too. Anyone can apply to these degrees. They simply add an extra year to the start of the degree, and lower the entry requirements as a result.

I think a foundation year would be the best for me then as I only got a pass on my course
I think a foundation year would be the best for me then as I only got a pass on my course

Perhaps. A BTEC Extended Diploma expresses it's grade as three letters. Are you saying you got PPP?

Or are you saying that at the end of your first year you got a P(ass), and that you're now in year two, with little ability to drag the overall grade up to something with Ds or Ms in it?
Reply 6
Perhaps. A BTEC Extended Diploma expresses it's grade as three letters. Are you saying you got PPP?

Or are you saying that at the end of your first year you got a P(ass), and that you're now in year two, with little ability to drag the overall grade up to something with Ds or Ms in it?

On the extended diploma I got all pass with 72 ucas points
Not all history degrees require A-level History, so in principle it's possible.
On the extended diploma I got all pass with 72 ucas points

Er, OK. According to the UCAS Points Calculator (here), there's no way to get 72 points via a BTEC Extended Diploma.

MPP gets you 64 points, and MMP gets you 80 points? How have you managed to get 72?! :confused:

Do you know what overall grade you got?
Reply 9
Er, OK. According to the UCAS Points Calculator (here), there's no way to get 72 points via a BTEC Extended Diploma.

MPP gets you 64 points, and MMP gets you 80 points? How have you managed to get 72?! :confused:

Do you know what overall grade you got?

Yeah it was a pass but I'm not sure if it was ppp I think just a pass.
Yeah it was a pass but I'm not sure if it was ppp I think just a pass.

Ah, I've found the qualification.

It was my mistake. I had assumed it was a BTEC. It's actually from UAL (University of the Arts London). It's a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology, which is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction. A Pass is worth 72 UCAS points. So it all tallies. (The specification is here, if you're interested.)
Reply 11
Ah, I've found the qualification.

It was my mistake. I had assumed it was a BTEC. It's actually from UAL (University of the Arts London). It's a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology, which is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction. A Pass is worth 72 UCAS points. So it all tallies. (The specification is here, if you're interested.)

Yeah it was a UAL
Yeah it was a UAL

Understood. Given that it's unusual to be applying for a History degree with a UAL Extended Diploma, you're very unlikely to find courses which name that qualification specifically. You'd therefore be better to look for courses which specify their requirements in terms of UCAS points.

For example, take a look at "History with a Foundation Year" at Oxford Brookes University (details here). They specify their entry requirements as "UCAS Tariff Points: 72" and don't mention any requirement to have studied History previously.
Reply 13
Understood. Given that it's unusual to be applying for a History degree with a UAL Extended Diploma, you're very unlikely to find courses which name that qualification specifically. You'd therefore be better to look for courses which specify their requirements in terms of UCAS points.

For example, take a look at "History with a Foundation Year" at Oxford Brookes University (details here). They specify their entry requirements as "UCAS Tariff Points: 72" and don't mention any requirement to have studied History previously.

Okay thanks
Reply 15

So should are look for course with just ucas points and also foundation years? Or is it not worth looking at foundation years
So should are look for course with just ucas points and also foundation years? Or is it not worth looking at foundation years

Yes, you should look for courses which specify their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points.

You might find a "regular" (non-foundation year) straight History course willing to take candidates with just 72 UCAS points, but you'll struggle. I think you're much more likely to find something if you look for those with a foundation year. (Those 72 points are the equivalent of DDD at A level, which is too low for most courses.)

In addition to History with a Foundation Year at Oxford Brookes University (details), which I mentioned above, you could also consider:
BA History (Including Foundation Year) at University of Essex - details
BA (Hons) History (Foundation Year) at Manchester Metropolitan University - details
BA (Hons) History (Foundation Year entry) at Bournemouth University - details
Reply 17
Yes, you should look for courses which specify their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points.

You might find a "regular" (non-foundation year) straight History course willing to take candidates with just 72 UCAS points, but you'll struggle. I think you're much more likely to find something if you look for those with a foundation year. (Those 72 points are the equivalent of DDD at A level, which is too low for most courses.)

In addition to History with a Foundation Year at Oxford Brookes University (details), which I mentioned above, you could also consider:
BA History (Including Foundation Year) at University of Essex - details
BA (Hons) History (Foundation Year) at Manchester Metropolitan University - details
BA (Hons) History (Foundation Year entry) at Bournemouth University - details

Okay and if I look on the ucas website do you know if there is a way to set it for foundation year?
Okay and if I look on the ucas website do you know if there is a way to set it for foundation year?

At the bottom of the Filter panel is a "Point of Entry" option. Choose Foundation.

UCAS Search - Filter - Point of Entry - Foundation.JPG
Reply 19
At the bottom of the Filter panel is a "Point of Entry" option. Choose Foundation.

UCAS Search - Filter - Point of Entry - Foundation.JPG

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending