The Student Room Group

A level opinions

I want to take Maths, Art and Biology, would this be a good combination? (Really don’t want to take Physics)

Scroll to see replies

Hard to say without to know whether you have concrete plans for your career or not. In general I see no big deals with any combinations of A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
Hard to say without to know whether you have concrete plans for your career or not. In general I see no big deals with any combinations of A levels.

I am not very clear about what I am going to do in university
Original post by Llllan
I am not very clear about what I am going to do in university

If so, you should take the A levels you please. You can make plans still later.
Reply 4
Original post by Llllan
I want to take Maths, Art and Biology, would this be a good combination? (Really don’t want to take Physics)

If you're not sure on what you intend to do afterwards, I'd say choose the subjects you enjoy/are good at. Note to remember is that Art will take up a lot more of your time with the coursework
Reply 5
If so, you should take the A levels you please. You can make plans still later.

I am hesitated as my parents don’t want me do to art and I don’t know whether I should take it or not :c
Reply 6
Original post by hyacinth77
If you're not sure on what you intend to do afterwards, I'd say choose the subjects you enjoy/are good at. Note to remember is that Art will take up a lot more of your time with the coursework

Art is exactly what I want to do and maths, biology wasn’t in my choice list but my parents want me to take it. :c
Reply 7
Original post by Llllan
Art is exactly what I want to do and maths, biology wasn’t in my choice list but my parents want me to take it. :c

Don't take bio bc of your parents- you need to make sure you like them all <3
Original post by Llllan
I am hesitated as my parents don’t want me do to art and I don’t know whether I should take it or not :c

It is your life and your decision. It is your concern, not the one of your parents. Your choice should please yourself, not your parents.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 9
It is your life and your decision. It is your concern, not the one of your parents. Your choice should please yourself, not your parents.

Im really fustrated about this as I know if I dont choose the opinions they want me to, we would have an arugument every time we talk about this :c
Reply 10
Don't take bio bc of your parents- you need to make sure you like them all <3

I go to a private school and they say they dont spend all this money for me to learn art as its useless ...:ccc
Original post by Llllan
Im really fustrated about this as I know if I dont choose the opinions they want me to, we would have an arugument every time we talk about this :c

Most parents think they know the best for their own child, but they don't. See this argument as an important step of your matureness. You will get many arguments more in your life, but that is the most important one, as it coins you the most. The struggles with my parents made me stronger and more confident, also because I did in my way and never regretted. Parents who can't accept their children's decision for job career or education are not good ones in my opinion.
(edited 12 months ago)

so so true, your parents will come to their end before you most likely so there's no point trying to just please them. it never ever works and you'll almost always end up with resentment for not being able to do what YOU wanted to do

Original post by Llllan
I go to a private school and they say they dont spend all this money for me to learn art as its useless ...:ccc

I hear you. My whole life I was ridiculed for liking art and now I hardly do it anymore- I honestly loved it. Was I very good? No, but the point is that I could've been good if they were just a little more supportive. Respectfully stand your ground and explain why you want to take art/the benefits and your intentions to carry it through for the next two years. No parent should ever use the "I pay for your education" argument to guilt trip you into doing what they want you to do or what will be the most "useful". It's not right.
Reply 13
Most parents think they know the best for their own child, but they don't. See this argument as an important step of your matureness. You will get many arguments more in your life, but that is the most important one, as it coins you the most. The struggles with my parents made me stronger and more confident, also because I did in my way and never regretted. Parents who can't accept their children's decision for job career or education are not good ones in my opinion.

I agree with you!! But my parents dont see art as a high paid job and its also really difficult to find a good job with it which i do agree with. Everyone around me takes Maths and futher maths and sciences, this makes me feel like i should also take these subjects. I really cant decided what to take now...
Reply 14
so so true, your parents will come to their end before you most likely so there's no point trying to just please them. it never ever works and you'll almost always end up with resentment for not being able to do what YOU wanted to do

I hear you. My whole life I was ridiculed for liking art and now I hardly do it anymore- I honestly loved it. Was I very good? No, but the point is that I could've been good if they were just a little more supportive. Respectfully stand your ground and explain why you want to take art/the benefits and your intentions to carry it through for the next two years. No parent should ever use the "I pay for your education" argument to guilt trip you into doing what they want you to do or what will be the most "useful". It's not right.

Yes!! I would feel super guilt if I took art...Im in the middle of I do it then my parents would be disappointed and i dont want that to happen. Or I take what they want and I dont think i would be happy. Making this choice is so difficult and i really dont know what should i do.. And its not only my parents, the people around me are telling me the same thing that art 'wont get u a good job' or 'future'.
Original post by Llllan
I agree with you!! But my parents dont see art as a high paid job and its also really difficult to find a good job with it which i do agree with. Everyone around me takes Maths and futher maths and sciences, this makes me feel like i should also take these subjects. I really cant decided what to take now...

That is really annoying, just because the wage is just the one side of a medal. The working conditions, the working hours and the aptitude for the jobs are another, but more important things; to cope with the working life in particular. And there are even underpaid jobs in science, genereally speaking in every branch. A good and popular education is not a guarantee for a good wage, don't mention the good working conditions. And in the long run, you would not be happy to work in a job for many decades you don't please. Mental issues are a bad consequence of that stupid mindset. Don't get me wrong! earning the money to pay your living is required, but as long as you can finance it with a lower wage anyhow and be happy with it, who cares? big well paid careers are overrestimated, so many people just consider the bright side of these jobs and ignore the shadows around.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 16
That is really annoying, just because the wage is just the one side of a medal. The working conditions, the working hours and the aptitude for the jobs are another, but more important things; to cope with the working life in particular. And there are even underpaid jobs in science, genereally speaking in every branch. A good and popular education is not a guarantee for a good wage, don't mention the good working conditions. And in the long run, you would not be happy to work in a job for many decades you don't please. Mental issues are a bad consequence of that stupid mindset. Don't get me wrong! earning the money to pay your living is required, but as long as you can finance it with a lower wage anyhow and be happy with it, who cares? big well paid careers are overrestimated, so many people just consider the bright side of these jobs and ignore the shadows around.

I think I wouldnt enjoy that at all... as i find maths and some science very difficult i dont think i would want to do that for my future..I did try and explain this to my parents but they said to me 'if you find it difficult you need to try harder; nothing should be difficult ' or 'you go to school because you dont know things and to be educated'. I dont know how to reply back because its true..
Reply 17

They basically told me if i study art they are ready for me to study college again for 3 years because they think i am going fail.
Original post by Llllan
I think I wouldnt enjoy that at all... as i find maths and some science very difficult i dont think i would want to do that for my future..I did try and explain this to my parents but they said to me 'if you find it difficult you need to try harder; nothing should be difficult ' or 'you go to school because you dont know things and to be educated'. I dont know how to reply back because its true..

But a good education is not focused on science and the benefits in jobs only. Education in a human sense also means to get an own personality. Your questions for yourself is: should be science a part of your personality and do I struggle with just some lessons or with the whole subjects? do I need these subjects, if they aren't compulsory? have I a real interest in?
(edited 12 months ago)
Maths art and bio are good choices. However, it's worth thinking about whether you want to take art or if you want to draw for fun. There's no reason you can't do both, but taking an art A level is a lot of work and if you don't intend on going into the arts I'd recommend drawing in your own time loads, enjoy it, but taking a different subject. That being said, I've found the art A level a brilliant opportunity to grow as an artist and try new things. It's also something completely different to your other subjects. Art is, a lot of the time, about expressing your interests, and it can be in a more academic way than you may think. Biological drawing, artist research, the mental capacity it actually does take to make good art... It's a good subject. It is coursework heavy though. I think it would be manageable alongside your other subjects though.

Quick Reply

Latest