The Student Room Group

only read if you're bored lol (gcse options year 9)

Ok, so I have to submit my GCSE options on Friday, and so far this is what I'm thinking:

The ones that I want to do -
Psychology
Art
French

And I'm choosing between these for my last option -
History
Music

But the thing is, I have no idea which one I want to do. I like both, and find both of them quite easy. There are reasons why I like each one, for example for History:
I have a good memory for facts, our teacher's already given us GCSE style questions, and each time I've gotten a score of 90% or above, and literally all my friends are doing it.
And for Music:
I have a Grade 3 on piano (working towards Grade 4), I love music, have good music theory, and have tried to make music before (sort of succeeding). But the thing is, for music, none of my friends are doing it.

Both the teachers are nice, and teach pretty well, so it's quite a difficult decision. If all my friends were doing music, then I would definitely choose that.
At my school we have to have back up options, so right now I have this in the form (it's not sent yet)
4 Main Options - Art, French, Music, Psychology
2 Back ups - History, Geography

But I don't know if I should swap History and Music or not. Any opinions?

Oh my god this is so long. If you read this whole thing, you have a great attention span. :smile:
I would say stick with music, you should not pick your options based on what your friends are doing. Also, I didn't really have friends before year 10 (it's a long story) but I made some of my best friends in my GCSE music class because there were a lot of likeminded people. Even if you don't have friends in music, it doesn't really matter because there really isn't all that much group work (there was a lot of discussion in my class but we were all very good at getting sidetracked).
Original post by whidoilikestudi
Ok, so I have to submit my GCSE options on Friday, and so far this is what I'm thinking:

The ones that I want to do -
Psychology
Art
French

And I'm choosing between these for my last option -
History
Music

But the thing is, I have no idea which one I want to do. I like both, and find both of them quite easy. There are reasons why I like each one, for example for History:
I have a good memory for facts, our teacher's already given us GCSE style questions, and each time I've gotten a score of 90% or above, and literally all my friends are doing it.
And for Music:
I have a Grade 3 on piano (working towards Grade 4), I love music, have good music theory, and have tried to make music before (sort of succeeding). But the thing is, for music, none of my friends are doing it.

Both the teachers are nice, and teach pretty well, so it's quite a difficult decision. If all my friends were doing music, then I would definitely choose that.
At my school we have to have back up options, so right now I have this in the form (it's not sent yet)
4 Main Options - Art, French, Music, Psychology
2 Back ups - History, Geography

But I don't know if I should swap History and Music or not. Any opinions?

Oh my god this is so long. If you read this whole thing, you have a great attention span. :smile:

i have lots of friends who've done history and most find it really hard especially the essay parts that you need more than just facts for - but if you truly think you're good enough at it i'd say go with that, its always good to have a facilitating humanity. on the other hand based on your description you seem to be more passionate about music and trust me as a year 11 student stuck doing gcses i hate, the most important thing is doing something you enjoy! its really not important what your friends are doing tbh, two out of three of my option subjects i have no friends in and im not even talking to any of my year 9 friends now anyway - just please dont let that sway your decision on what you'll be dedicating another two years of your life to! hope this helped lol x

Quick Reply

Latest