The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Is a degree in Computer Science from London Met as good as nothing??!

That's what some people are telling me but I know I'll fail Physics and the only Universities that would accept me with 2 A levels are London Met and Bolton!!!!!

Which one would you choose and is going to a more prestegious Uni worth wasting a year? I mean I could graduate a year earlier and do a Master's degree...What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

sarahramzy4

The real question is whether it is worth wasting 3 years. The answer is NO.

Any degree from the London Met or the Bolton is almost totally worthless in the job and academic markets. You are likely to end up with a dead end job stacking shelves. As for the Masters, do you really think that you will get into a decent program with 2 A levels and a 2.2 from the London Met ? ( Most London Met students graduate with a 2.2 )

Stay at school, do 3 A levels, and go to a university that is not the ****hole of the universe.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Well, as for doing mater's degree I think it's possible...I mean I can sit Physics as a private Candidate while studying at London Met. Not sure if transering would be possible but I think doing Master's elsewhere would be No problem...and who said I'm going to graduate with a 2.2? lol

LMU doesn't appeal to me, I won't deny it...But I really don't want to waste a year :''(
sarahramzy4
who said I'm going to graduate with a 2.2?

The average London Met student does pass with a 2.2
And if you are going in there with a fail in Physics, you would be below average even at London Met.

sarahramzy4
LMU doesn't appeal to me, I won't deny it...But I really don't want to waste a year :''(

So instead you want to waste 3 years ? That is a very smart move.
You know, now that I think about it, you probably should go to LMU. You sound ideally suited to it.
Reply 4
acolyte
And if you are going in there with a fail in Physics, you would be below average even at London Met.

So instead you want to waste 3 years ? That is a very smart move.
You know, now that I think about it, you probably should go to LMU. You sound ideally suited to it.

Awww you're such a sweetheart...Excuse me but who am I talking to? Bill Gates?!

It's funny how people judge others based on one post on an internet forum...And what's funnier is that you're looking for all threads I started in order to bash me :biggrin:

You've got a problem mate! Anyway, why I didn't study physics and want to re-sit it is a personal matter so I don't have to explain myself to you. The fact that I screwed up this year doesn't mean that I'd screw up for the rest of my life!

The only reason I am considering going to London Met or Bolton is that I don't want to waste a year of my life and that I am convinced I might be able to graduate with a first!!

It's not all about universities, you know. Graduating from a 'prestigious' Uni is not soley going to get you a decent job!

Well, I imagine you being interviewed for a job...With that kind of attitude apparently no employer would want to hire you :rolleyes:
Reply 5
I've heard only 0.5% of london met students get a graduate job!
Reply 6
v2006
I've heard only 0.5% of london met students get a graduate job!

That's scary!! Do you think Bolton is better? (I know both of them are bad)
Reply 7
Graduating from a 'prestigious' Uni is not soley going to get you a decent job!

Actually it is a very important factor because very students will have real work experience when they have graduated.
Reply 8
Seriously Sarah, you could get into city/brunel/queen mary through clearing with grades BBE/U.
Reply 9
I have applied to LondonMet but I have withdrawn in the last minute and I don't regret it, honestly.
Reply 10
sarahramzy4

That's what some people are telling me but I know I'll fail Physics and the only Universities that would accept me with 2 A levels are London Met and Bolton!!!!!

Which one would you choose and is going to a more prestegious Uni worth wasting a year? I mean I could graduate a year earlier and do a Master's degree...What do you think?

Hi Sarah,

I also applied for London Metropolitan University thinking that it's not important where you go as long as you get a good Degree. To some extent this is true but baring in mind that there are thousands of other people graduating with the same degree as you in the same year would you want to risk it? don't get me wrong I do think that some people come out of London Met and do well but the number of people who do well is much lower then those who come from Universities such as QM/Brunel/City. I think you should try to get into another university through Clearing. You would be surprised at the Universities that some people get into. I definitely think you would be able to get into QM/ Brunel/ city through clearing. If not you may have to take another year to improve your grades but this is not the end of the world because you would only be wasting one year instead of three. If I had not got into Brunel University I would have tried to get into another University through clearing but if that had failed as well I would have definitely spent another year improving my grades. While I would have hated to spend another year out of University I would have preferred it to London Met. I'm sorry if anyone here is offended but unless you are very capable any head and shoulders above everyone else you are unlikely to succeed with a degree from London Metropolitan University. Good luck Sarah, whatever you decide to do.
Reply 11
Hi Sarah

It is possible for you to get into a decent uni for Computer Science. Try City, Brunel, Queen Mary and Goldsmiths. Goldsmiths may well let you in with two A levels. I got in to do History with just two! It may not offer the best computer science course but it's a lot better than London Met!
QM wont let you in with BBE. Some of the crap I hear on this forum is immense. Esp from A level students who have yet to even complete a year of undergrad studies.
Reply 13
yes they will, they only need 260 points you idiot.
Reply 14
unknown demon
QM wont let you in with BBE. Some of the crap I hear on this forum is immense. Esp from A level students who have yet to even complete a year of undergrad studies.

OK, fair enough. But he would probably get in with City, Brunel and Goldsmiths.
v2006
yes they will, they only need 260 points you idiot.

arrogancy jumps in when you get your results and have been accepted by imperial.

before you were shiiting yourself, so just becasue your in a good uni now, dont change your character, coz arrogant people suck :wink:
Reply 16
I am not being arrogant, but I know Qmul do tend to accept students with grades lower than their average offer (260 points?).
Reply 17
v2006
I am not being arrogant, but I know Qmul do tend to accept students with grades lower than their average offer (260 points?).

I phoned up their clearing hotline about History and Film. They wanted History at Grade B for a total of 240 points. Even then, it was still out of reach for me (I have CC - 160 points).
Reply 18
Hi

Iam student at London Met and really regretting this fact, I am a international student and had no idea about UK university rankings, University in central London sounded good to me when I first applied

The teaching at London Met is absolutely horrendous, very, very sloppy etc., misinformation etc. , I don’t know where they get those people to teach from, its just best to buy good books and just turn up for the examinations, there is no point going to the lectures or seminars, apart from this they have also managed to lose my coursework which I had then to redo again, and then given out wrong deadlines for various courseworks and exams, which we then subsequently missed and marked as a fail (no joke!!!) We have been given examinations papers with mistakes and wrong information!!!
And I know that they have also managed to lose someone’s 10,000 word dissertation, who currently suing them, some of the staff are incredibly rude and unhelpful (probably because students constantly complaining about the poor standards)

The university is way too big, nobody is responsible for anything and the bug just gets shifted around, all London Met cares about is making sure to get as many student to enrol, and then make as much fees££££££ as possible and once enrolled and you have paid them, they couldn’t care less! I don’t know how they are getting away with this, I thought there would be some kind of watchdog for university quality or something, or do all universities operate like this in the UK?

Iam currently in my second year and trying to transfer to another university :-(
Is it possible in the UK to transfer whilst still on a course, even considering redo my second year if I have too, has anyone any experience on this and knows how to go about this?

By the way all this redbrick and ex-poly talk is nonsense, employers look at grades not the university you have been too, unless it’s a ponce company….
I have been told by a number of recruiters that if they minimum standard for considering an application is a 2.1 then that means a 2.1 from any university and if you apply with a 2.2 from a redbrick you will not be considered, there you go….

Acolyte….where did you find out that most students at London Met graduate with a 2.2 as I have been trying myself to find out more info on this stuff for the past year to London Met but with no luck

thanks
Reply 19
A lot of people do 4 year degrees, or even 5 years with a masters, so resitting a-levels and reapplying wouldn't be the end of the world if you think you could get into a better uni and want to do so. BB is good, if you could get BBB or better than you'd have a great chance at a lot of recognised standing unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending