The Student Room Group

Questions about changing from Economics BSc to Computer Science MSc

I am halfway through my final year studying BSc Economics at Man Met.

Originally, my plan was to do a Masters in Finance ... but I've had a change of heart and I want to pursue Computer Science or a similar course at Masters level. I especially like the Web Development & Programming side of it.

a. Assuming its possible to make the switch, am I hindered by my current undergraduate course or will institutions look past that.

b. Do I need to prove an understanding of programming or some level of problem solving.

c. Am I simply unable to study at any prestigious university (e.g. KCL, UCL, ICL, Uni of Manchester) because I don't have an Bachelors in CompSci nor any work experience

Any advice/suggestions highly appreciated:smile:
Original post by hjarvis13
I am halfway through my final year studying BSc Economics at Man Met.

Originally, my plan was to do a Masters in Finance ... but I've had a change of heart and I want to pursue Computer Science or a similar course at Masters level. I especially like the Web Development & Programming side of it.

a. Assuming its possible to make the switch, am I hindered by my current undergraduate course or will institutions look past that.

b. Do I need to prove an understanding of programming or some level of problem solving.

c. Am I simply unable to study at any prestigious university (e.g. KCL, UCL, ICL, Uni of Manchester) because I don't have an Bachelors in CompSci nor any work experience

Any advice/suggestions highly appreciated:smile:

I can't answer A for you. It's best to get a second opinion on this.

B would depend on the individual university and course (they usually expect you to have some programming knowledge for some computer science masters', but not necessarily at bachelor's level where they expect you to at most have A Level Maths). Some universities would accept relevant work experience in computing for X years being the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in computer science under accredited prior learning, but you would need to check out the individual universities and degree courses to be sure.

C. It depends on the individual degree and university that you want to apply to.
There are some master's degree courses that would require you to have done a bachelor's in computer science, but these degrees tend to be advanced and builds on the knowledge from the undergrad.
There are then some master's degree courses that work more like conversion courses for people who haven't done an undergrad in computer science. These include courses from UCL and Imperial. See:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduate-taught/computing/
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught-degrees/computer-science-msc#entry-requirements
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000

B would depend on the individual university and course (they usually expect you to have some programming knowledge for some computer science masters', but not necessarily at bachelor's level where they expect you to at most have A Level Maths). Some universities would accept relevant work experience in computing for X years being the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in computer science under accredited prior learning, but you would need to check out the individual universities and degree courses to be sure.

C. It depends on the individual degree and university that you want to apply to.
There are some master's degree courses that would require you to have done a bachelor's in computer science, but these degrees tend to be advanced and builds on the knowledge from the undergrad.
There are then some master's degree courses that work more like conversion courses for people who haven't done an undergrad in computer science. These include courses from UCL and Imperial. See:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught-degrees/computer-science-msc#entry-requirements

In terms of the last part, are conversion courses worth less than the advanced masters courses?
If so, is there a further course that people usually go on to build on the conversion course.
In terms of the last part, are conversion courses worth less than the advanced masters courses?
If so, is there a further course that people usually go on to build on the conversion course.

Worth less in what sense? To progress onto a PhD in computer science? Possibly, but PhDs often ask for an undergrad in the subject, so you should be able to get onto a PhD with such master's.
Worth less in the sense that it gives you fewer 'job opportunities'? Probably not. Your job prospects won't likely be determined by which degree you did and which uni you did your degree from; it's more about your skills and relevant work experience. People have got jobs in tech without a computer science degree, but they had to work really hard on the side to build up their skill set. The case where 'job prospects' might be relevant is for academic jobs as far as I can see (having said that, I don't work in tech, so I could be wrong).

Answer to your second question: very likely the advanced masters' in computer science you were not eligible for, although I haven't come across a case where a person with a master's in computer science conversion did an advanced computer science master's (or a master's degree that require an undergrad in computer science). There is no rule to say that you can't do more than 1 master's degree; it will be expensive though because master's degrees aren't typically cheap and you only get student funding for your first master's degree or equivalent.
If you don't have a specific need to do a master's in advanced computer science, I would just go straight onto the PhD.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000

Considering Masters application deadlines are coming up...

Are there short-term programmes to gain credited experience in the CompSci field such as online internships.
I know many programmes run over the summer, but I don't think I could include that in an application I'm completing next month.

Many thanks for the time you've put into these responses :smile:
Considering Masters application deadlines are coming up...

Are there short-term programmes to gain credited experience in the CompSci field such as online internships.
I know many programmes run over the summer, but I don't think I could include that in an application I'm completing next month.

Many thanks for the time you've put into these responses :smile:

I don't about any credited work experience that you can do for CompSci unfortunately.

Having said that, I don't think it would hurt to have an online portfolio of computer projects to show your enthusiasm in the topic. Most unis would also care a lot about whether you have the enthusiasm for the subject, about your ability to get high grades, and whether you would stick and perservere through the degree as opposed to dropping out.

There's also nothing to say that you can go to your local computer workshop/maintenance shop and ask for work experience or part time work. Places like Currys and local PC repairs do look for people all year round - just make sure you have some working knowledge before going in.

One of the courses that immediately jump to mind for computer science is Harvard's free CS50 course, which is a good introduction to programming. Other possible courses can include: freecodecamp.org, courses on Udemy and Udactiy, apps such as Enki, Google developer certificates, a bunch of tutorials that you can find on YouTube (there are plenty on YouTube) and various websites (e.g. WS3 School, Morzilla Development), and various coding bootcamps. The free resources would be plenty to do prior to next September, but if you want to go the extra mile, you can consider the above.
If you can do a professional IT certification in say a programming language (e.g. Python, Java) prior to the next term, so much the better. However, the qualification tend to be a heavy commitment of time and they are usually a lot harder than most non-official computing courses
You might want to get a second opinion from people who have successfully enrolled onto computer sci degrees (bachelor's or master's) before doing any of the above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending