The Student Room Group

Volunteering opportunities - medicine

Hey guys, im currently a year 12 student and my ambition is to have a career in the medical sector. I know the importance of having work experience when applying for medicine.
However im really stuggling to get work experience and im not sure where to look. Im only 16 and a lot of hospitals require you to be 17 or sometimes 18.

My school did do work experience for about 10 studnets at hospitals/dentists however im not sure how they were selected.

I currently volunteer at BHF and i have previously voluteered at a primary school. Thats its pretty much all. I have done summer schools and had the opportunity to visit universities.

Please if there are any people applying to university or are medical student i would really appreciate if you could tell me what sort of work experience you did. I would be so grateful for any sites you recommend and if you have contact details of hospitals etc.

Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance :smile:
I'm at the same situation, this is so stressful, am I suppose to focus on my AS or spend hours emailing all these volunteering people and looking for work experience:angry:?!
Reply 2
Join a local St. John or British Red Cross :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are 16 getting healthcare related work experience in the UK is tough. Like said above try St Johns or Red Cross. Also have you thought about going overseas though? Lots of companies like Gap Medics and Projects Abroad offer short term medical volunteer programs to 16 year olds where you can gain hands on work during summer or throughout the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending