The Student Room Group

For you, whats the scariest symptom of a panic attack?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Staying at my mum's alone again tonight. Wasn't going to but she said she would preferred if I stayed the night with the cats before she comes home tomorrow. I went back up to my flat earlier for a few hours and was fine there but panicked like hell on the journey to my flat. I had the overwhelming dread, sharp stabbing pain in between my shoulder blades that got worse when I breathed. Was horrible. Took me an hour or two to feel 'normal' again after that. Now just shattered. Hoping I'll be OK tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Do you get more than one per day normally?
Reply 42
Varies. I get at least one panic attack a day and sometimes its just one major one or a few moderate ones throughout the day. I thankfully never had any more panics for the rest of the day when I was worried about having another one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Thats good that you didn't have any more!

I've been thinking about the ones I've had, its always when I've been very stressed and combined with problems in my love life. So I guess if I stay single and don't try to change that, I'll be ok?
Original post by WoodyMKC
When do you guys tend to have your panic attacks? I've only had a few major ones over the past few years but they've all been at night when I'm in bed. Always means I get almost no sleep for the rest of the night and feel horrific the next day. Glad I have Propranolol in the drawer next to my bed, they're crap for general anxiety but an excellent abortive for panic attacks tbf :smile:

Anyway, worst bit has got to be the impending feelings of "Oh God, I sort of hope this is another panic attack and not a heart attack or something" :lol: Just the feelings of not being able to breathe and my heart thudding against my chest are the worst physical symptoms.

I get them when I'm very upset or worried - e.g. a 'friend' suddenly being horrible to me :frown:
The feeling of not being able to breathe (possibility more so as I'm asthmatic?). I remember the first time it happened to me I was in school and I thought I was seriously ill. I also have them when when I'm about to drift off to sleep and I end up lying awake scared or wake up being really anxious something awful is going to happen.
Reply 46
Original post by Anonymous
The feeling of not being able to breathe (possibility more so as I'm asthmatic?). I remember the first time it happened to me I was in school and I thought I was seriously ill. I also have them when when I'm about to drift off to sleep and I end up lying awake scared or wake up being really anxious something awful is going to happen.

I get them when I'm drifting off too a lot, bloody terrifying! The worst panic attack I had happened after I woke up from a nap. It was pitch black in the flat and I had that horrible spacey, disoriented feeling you can get after a nap and then the panic hit. I honestly felt like I was in a nightmare. I was pinching myself to 'wake up' and shouting to my bf that I needed an ambulance. Panic attacks at night or just after waking up seem to be the worst for me because you aren't fully in an awake state so you have no power to resist the panic, it just take you over completely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The feeling that I can't escape or that I am trapped in a situation
not being in control i.e. not being able to breathe and the feeling that something really bad is going to happen.
Reply 49
What do you guys do to both stop or ease your panic attack while its happening and have you found any ways to lessen how often you have panics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
I've never found a way to stop or ease it, I just let it take over me until its finished and I've somehow calmed down. Mine seem to be caused by lots of different stresses building up, especially related to romantic emotions, so I'm just trying to avoid too many stresses building up and no longer attempting to have some sort of romance in my life. Although I will admit being single is rather lonely and boring! But for now if it works, at least until I sort out other stresses then I guess its worth it to avoid any more attacks.
Reply 51
Original post by dhr90
I've never found a way to stop or ease it, I just let it take over me until its finished and I've somehow calmed down. Mine seem to be caused by lots of different stresses building up, especially related to romantic emotions, so I'm just trying to avoid too many stresses building up and no longer attempting to have some sort of romance in my life. Although I will admit being single is rather lonely and boring! But for now if it works, at least until I sort out other stresses then I guess its worth it to avoid any more attacks.

Mine seem to be caused by stresses building up too as I haven't really learned how to deal with stress there and then and in the moment, I let it build and build until I pretty much go into meltdown -_- I've also found that during a major attack, nothing I do can ease it, I just have to accept it and ride it like a wave pretty much. It always feels like it'll never end and that is what really gets to me.

I have my therapy for OCD tomorrow and I'm hoping it'll help with panics too, shouldn't hurt at least. I'm terrified tbh. I find it hard enough to admit my obsessions and compulsions to myself, yet tomorrow I have to be 100% honest with a stranger about things I know are highly illogical and silly but have taken over my life. I know the first appointment will probably be the hardest though.
Shaking, raised heart beat and not being able to breathe :s-smilie:
I think it's the combination of heart racing, muffled hearing, sweating and feeling of impending doom. Very hard to put a finger on which is worse. Thankfully I get them extremely rarely.
Reply 54
Can people usually tell when you're having a panic attack? When I get a major one, I start crying and begging for a doctor but I've only ever had them around my mum and bf and they are understanding with panics but if I have a moderate one no one seems to notice, not even my family a lot of the time. I'll say to them after it passes, "sorry if I went quiet. I had a panic" and they seem shocked. Inside I feel like I am screaming but I mostly always manage to control myself on the outside except for a few very major ones but they are rare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Can people usually tell when you're having a panic attack? When I get a major one, I start crying and begging for a doctor but I've only ever had them around my mum and bf and they are understanding with panics but if I have a moderate one no one seems to notice, not even my family a lot of the time. I'll say to them after it passes, "sorry if I went quiet. I had a panic" and they seem shocked. Inside I feel like I am screaming but I mostly always manage to control myself on the outside except for a few very major ones but they are rare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It;s definitely obvious in the rare instance that I have one as I properly freak out. Probably not the best thing to do but can;t help it at the time as I feel so convinced I am going to die. Plus I sweat
Reply 56
When I get panic attacks, it' the full blown ones. But the worst symptoms would be heart palpitations, arms and hands go numb, unable to breathe, tunnel vision, erratic and delusional behaviour and of course feeling like I'm gonna collapse and die. :s-smilie: I'm hoping that everyone will overcome them one day.
Reply 57
Original post by Spock's Socks
Mine seem to be caused by stresses building up too as I haven't really learned how to deal with stress there and then and in the moment, I let it build and build until I pretty much go into meltdown -_- I've also found that during a major attack, nothing I do can ease it, I just have to accept it and ride it like a wave pretty much. It always feels like it'll never end and that is what really gets to me.

I have my therapy for OCD tomorrow and I'm hoping it'll help with panics too, shouldn't hurt at least. I'm terrified tbh. I find it hard enough to admit my obsessions and compulsions to myself, yet tomorrow I have to be 100% honest with a stranger about things I know are highly illogical and silly but have taken over my life. I know the first appointment will probably be the hardest though.

I've found I was able to force myself to think about something else, if only for 10-20 seconds at a time, or pinch myself etc to delay it for long enough to get home/somewhere safe, then I just have to let it take over as I just can't keep putting it off. I find I can't hold it off indefinitely, nor can I think of something else for more than 10 or 20 seconds, before I think about what is setting it off again and nearly break down. My heart is racing the whole time and feels like it is pounding through my ribs.

Good luck. Hope it goes well, I know how you feel, not sure I could admit some things to anyone, no matter how much its supposed to help me.
Reply 58
Original post by dhr90
I've found I was able to force myself to think about something else, if only for 10-20 seconds at a time, or pinch myself etc to delay it for long enough to get home/somewhere safe, then I just have to let it take over as I just can't keep putting it off. I find I can't hold it off indefinitely, nor can I think of something else for more than 10 or 20 seconds, before I think about what is setting it off again and nearly break down. My heart is racing the whole time and feels like it is pounding through my ribs.

That's exactly what I do too. I hate when my heart pounds like that. I feel like I can feel the pounding in my throat and it makes me feel so sick. I used to panic so much when my heart went into that state but not so much now. I still hate it but it doesn't really scare me as much now. Reading Dr Claire Weekes books helped me with that symptom in particular.

Good luck. Hope it goes well, I know how you feel, not sure I could admit some things to anyone, no matter how much its supposed to help me.

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on! My appointment isn't until half past 1 so got about 4 hours to wait which isn't that long but seems like an eternity when you have anxiety. I might try sleeping for an hour or two again but I doubt I will, my mind is in overdrive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
I got on well at therapy. I'm getting 30+ sessions apparently. The psychologist was lovely and very understanding. I felt like I could tell her everything about OCD, even the things I feel ashamed and embarrassed of which was great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest