The Student Room Group

What jobs can you go onto with a degree in Psychology?

Literally just a BSc Psychology degree, most jobs you now need to do further studying into a specific field but is it possible to get a good job just with a psychology degree?
Original post by automobile
Literally just a BSc Psychology degree, most jobs you now need to do further studying into a specific field but is it possible to get a good job just with a psychology degree?

Are you asking about directly-psychology-related jobs? Such as mental health, occupational psych, prisons etc? Or literally any job after your degree?
Reply 2
Original post by Daniellecorni5h
Are you asking about directly-psychology-related jobs? Such as mental health, occupational psych, prisons etc? Or literally any job after your degree?

Sorry for the late reply, yes I'm interested in the mental health area when thinking about my future career options
there are graduate level mental health positions but they aren't always well paid and progression will be harder without further training, many relevant posts are not graduate level
Many psychology graduates go on to do general graduate schemes, such as management, HR, accounting etc.
Original post by automobile

Jobs I have had in the six months since I graduated my BSc Psychology degree:

Freelance copywriter
Special Educational Needs Teaching Assistant (supply)
Intern Research Assistant.

I was surprised how many Psychology graduates are wanted for SEN Teaching Assistant roles. They pay a lot better than normal TA jobs too. Apparently they are a good role for people hoping to go down the Educational Psychology route.

Hope this helps!
Psychologist
Reply 8
Academic mentoring roles with looked after children. Search for your local 'Virtual Schools', who have a responsibility for monitoring the progress of looked after children and deliver a range of support services to improve access to higher education for this group.

Academic mentoring is the entry level position, there are many senior roles to progress to with a psych degree.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest