The Student Room Group

Trainee PWP degree or BSc Psychology degree ?

Hey everyone,

I’ve currently secured a job as a HCA/Social Therapist in a acute psych inpatient unit.

I was wondering whether after a year of experience, should I apply for a trainee psychological wellbeing practitioner degree which is effectively like an apprenticeship funded by your workplace/the organisation offering it, allowing you to gain a level 6 psychological wellbeing practitioner qualification from a university - qualifying me as a psychological wellbeing practitioner. .

OR

whether I should do a BSc Psychology degree at Open university? I’m thinking about possibly doing a masters, wondering if they’d accept the pwp qualification? I want to become a clinical psychologist or go into occupational/educational psych.

Please let me know ☺️
The PWP role is really good experience for the clinical psychology but you won't get onto the doctorate without an accredited undergraduate degree or conversion course in psychology
Reply 2
Original post by laratas
Hey everyone,

I’ve currently secured a job as a HCA/Social Therapist in a acute psych inpatient unit.

I was wondering whether after a year of experience, should I apply for a trainee psychological wellbeing practitioner degree which is effectively like an apprenticeship funded by your workplace/the organisation offering it, allowing you to gain a level 6 psychological wellbeing practitioner qualification from a university - qualifying me as a psychological wellbeing practitioner. .

OR

whether I should do a BSc Psychology degree at Open university? I’m thinking about possibly doing a masters, wondering if they’d accept the pwp qualification? I want to become a clinical psychologist or go into occupational/educational psych.

Please let me know ☺️

If you are considering a career in psychology, you will need that degree. Having this will open up more doors for you, so that would be my suggestion.
Reply 3
Original post by Nerol
If you are considering a career in psychology, you will need that degree. Having this will open up more doors for you, so that would be my suggestion.

I think I need to really weigh up the pros and cons as some individuals are saying there’s no point doing a psychology degree due to not being able to get onto the doctorate / it being near enough impossible.
Reply 4
Original post by bones-mccoy
The PWP role is really good experience for the clinical psychology but you won't get onto the doctorate without an accredited undergraduate degree or conversion course in psychology

I think I really need to weigh the pros and cons as I’m hearing it’s near enough impossible to get onto the doctorate even with years of experience and 1st/2.1 in your BSc and a masters. I will be funding my education myself therefore do not have money to waste.. I need to think very carefully about my decision. I’m also considering whether I’m cut out to study a doctorate.. a lot to think about.
Reply 5
Original post by laratas
I think I really need to weigh the pros and cons as I’m hearing it’s near enough impossible to get onto the doctorate even with years of experience and 1st/2.1 in your BSc and a masters. I will be funding my education myself therefore do not have money to waste.. I need to think very carefully about my decision. I’m also considering whether I’m cut out to study a doctorate.. a lot to think about.

What i would say also, not to make your decision any tougher, is that plenty of people do get on the doctorate every year (i did mine last year). When i was considering the course I was put off by lots of people who said it was impossible, but i got on first time with 18months worth of experience. I am not for 1 minute saying it was easy or will be easy for anyone, but there are always 2 sides to every story, and sadly a lot of the people who say it is impossible are also the ones who havent got on or may not ever do so. A certain amount of luck is needed with anything competitive but it is not as bad as you may have heard. The important thing is you do what you want and what you think you are capable for.

Good luck,

Greg
Reply 6
Original post by greg tony
What i would say also, not to make your decision any tougher, is that plenty of people do get on the doctorate every year (i did mine last year). When i was considering the course I was put off by lots of people who said it was impossible, but i got on first time with 18months worth of experience. I am not for 1 minute saying it was easy or will be easy for anyone, but there are always 2 sides to every story, and sadly a lot of the people who say it is impossible are also the ones who havent got on or may not ever do so. A certain amount of luck is needed with anything competitive but it is not as bad as you may have heard. The important thing is you do what you want and what you think you are capable for.

Good luck,

Greg

18 months? Wow this makes me feel much better, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone get on a doctorate that quick?! Did you do masters or was it just BSc? I’ve heard a lot of horror stories so this was refreshing:h:
Reply 7
Original post by laratas
18 months? Wow this makes me feel much better, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone get on a doctorate that quick?! Did you do masters or was it just BSc? I’ve heard a lot of horror stories so this was refreshing:h:

I did a postgrad cert in research, so no formal masters at all. The key is what you learn on your way, rather than just ticking some boxes. If you get a 1st on the BSc you dont necessarily need any postgrad quals (look at each doctoral course tactically, some are much more academically focused than others). There was a huge spread of prior experience on my course, some had PhDs, some just undergrads and ages were from 24 to 42. Dont get caught up on other peoples stories, do well at your undergrad, get experience and reflect and learn as you go. If you can enjoy the journey then great. Your journey will be different.

Take care,

Greg
Reply 8
Original post by laratas
I think I need to really weigh up the pros and cons as some individuals are saying there’s no point doing a psychology degree due to not being able to get onto the doctorate / it being near enough impossible.

Honestly, I was planning on the DClinPsy, but I really disliked the application process - something about it didn't sit right with me. I ended up training as a high intensity CBT therapist instead, and have just finished my training. I really enjoyed this and love the role, so I'm happy with my decision. Many of the trainees in my cohort were PWPs before doing this training, though a lot of them also had psychology degrees as well (useful for the HIT route as well, as it allows you to not have to complete a full KSA portfolio when applying - see the BABCP website if you want to learn more about this). I just mention all this, as it could be an alternative option to doing a doctorate if you are interested in therapy work as well. I'd still say a psychology degree would be very useful - I certainly found it helpful. I also trained as a counsellor before doing this training. However, you could train as a PWP, do that for 2 years and then apply for HIT training if you like. You wouldn't NEED the degree, but you do need a lot of relevant knowledge, skills and experience.

Quick Reply

Latest