The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lai812matthew
i just hope they don't ask definition on quantum physics. *cough* energy level, absorption spectrum *cough*

Stuff from AS is definitively coming up, about energy levels I think and emission and absorption spectrum maybe.
Reply 61
I have a question:

Jan 2012, Q9 (c) (iii), surely you'd have to multiply by 4/5 because the ratio of protons to neutrons is 4:1, and so the calculation in the mark scheme considered the number of protons AND neutrons, but the question only asks for protons, per metre cubed?
can anyone link or message me the 2015 paper please
Reply 63
Nuclear Reactor

Diagram: fission reactor.PNG

Fuel rods:
-Contain pellets of fissile material such as Uranium or Plutonium

Coolant:
-Can be either gas (carbon dioxide) or liquid (water)
-Used to remove thermal energy produced by the fission reaction in the reactor core.
-This Thermal Energy is used to heat up the water to create high pressure steam to drive the turbines in the generator.

Moderator (graphite):
-Slows down the fast moving neutrons produced in the fission reaction.
It does this by making the neutron collide with the graphite, the collision is inelastic which means that the KE is not conserved hence, slowing the neutrons down.
-Fast-moving neutrons has less chance of being absorbed by the Uranium nucleus than the slow-moving ones.

Controls rods:
-Absorbs neutrons.
-Can be lowered to slow down the fission reaction (cause it will absorb some of the neutrons) Or raised to speed it up.

Anything else?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Reda2
Nuclear Reactor

Diagram: fission reactor.PNG

Fuel rods:
-Contain pellets of fissile material such as Uranium or Plutonium

Coolant:
-Can be either gas (carbon dioxide) or liquid (water)
-Used to remove thermal energy produced by the fission reaction in the reactor core.
-This Thermal Energy is used to heat up the water to create high pressure steam to drive the turbines in the generator.

Moderator (graphite):
-Slows down the fast moving neutrons produced in the fission reaction.
It does this by making the neutron collide with the graphite, the collision is inelastic which means that the KE is not conserved hence, slowing the neutrons down.
-Fast-moving neutrons has less chance of being absorbed by the Uranium nucleus than the slow-moving ones.

Controls rods:
-Absorbs neutrons.
-Can be lowered to slow down the fission reaction (cause it will absorb some of the neutrons) Or raised to speed it up.

Anything else?

May want to add that control rods are boron. But otherwise it seems pretty good! :smile:
Original post by QuantumSylar
can anyone link or message me the 2015 paper please

teacher sent us all the 2015 papers :P
Original post by jirachi
May want to add that control rods are boron. But otherwise it seems pretty good! :smile:

they always say in mark scheme the control rods allow about 1 neutron per decay - makes sense as it stops chaining
Original post by lai812matthew
screw medical physics. screw them. (except when they include calculations in it, they are normally easy)

Couldn't agree more. There better not be any essays on bloody medical bs
Just please give us hard calculations and application questions. No essay ********
Hi all.

Can someone walk me through the logic in January 2012 Q9)c)iii)?
The mark scheme simply divided the critical density of the universe by the density of a proton. I got that number but then divided the result by 2, assuming that they would be an equal number of protons and neutrons in the universe.

Are we supposed to just assume the universe only contains protons or did I miss something?
Reply 70
Original post by jirachi

That's right :wink: and Thanks.
Reply 71
I have another one of these lol. They help understand them as I am explaining it. And might as well post it here.

X - Ray

How it is made:
- Electrons are produced in a hot filament and targeted and accelerated towards the anode, a rotating metal with high melting point such as tungsten.
- Most of the KE of the electron is transferred as thermal energy which heats up the target, this can be dealt with by circulating the metal with water inside it and by rotating it.
- Only 1% of the KE of the electrons are transferred to x-ray photons.

X-ray interactions:
When the x-ray passes through matter it's intensity decreases because they are either scattered or stopped by the atoms of the material.

The 3 ways that x-ray interacts with matter, 1. Photoelectric effect, 2. Pair production, 3. Compton effect.

Photoelectric effect: happens when energy of x-ray photo < 0.1 MeV, photon disappears and gives all of its energy to the electron which ejects from the metal.
Pair production: happens when energy of x-ray is between 0.5 and 5.0 MeV. X-ray photon loses some of it's energy to eject electron from the metal, but it loses energy and it's wavelength increases.
Compton effect: happens when energy of x-ray photon is > 1.02 MeV. Photon disappears and produces a electron-positron.

I was going to go about the detection systems, but man I need to get back to revising the rest lol.
Original post by taylorharris
I just ran through it and did:
age=1/Ho
so you can use the age to fine Ho
then use p=3(Ho)^2/8piG
and i got 9.24x10^-26

just looked at the mark scheme, and i think you might just be reading it wrong because it says: BALD answer is only 2 marks, with working its the full 3 marks i think :P

Thanks, but that's part ii); I was asking about part iii). Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Reply 73
Am I the only one hoping for a lot of 6 markers on medical methods, life cycle of stars, evidence for nuclear charge etc? 🙊

If it's anything like G484 I'm done for. :laugh: Please actually give us some good physics to spout out. Ain't sat and learned all the definitions and descriptions and theory for nothing.
Reply 74
Original post by tochicool
Hi all.

Can someone walk me through the logic in January 2012 Q9)c)iii)?
The mark scheme simply divided the critical density of the universe by the density of a proton. I got that number but then divided the result by 2, assuming that they would be an equal number of protons and neutrons in the universe.

Are we supposed to just assume the universe only contains protons or did I miss something?

There's no guarantee in space that protons = neutrons in any case, so there isn't necessarily the same number of neutrons as protons here. It's only an estimate based on a general critical density idea.

You're assuming that if p0 is 1x10^-26 kgm^-3 then in 1m^3 you've got 1x10^-26kg of matter mass.

You want to find out the proportion that is protons, so you're dividing that mass (NOT the critical density, the MASS) by the mass of a proton.

If that makes sense?
Original post by Scitty
Am I the only one hoping for a lot of 6 markers on medical methods, life cycle of stars, evidence for nuclear charge etc? 🙊

If it's anything like G484 I'm done for. :laugh: Please actually give us some good physics to spout out. Ain't sat and learned all the definitions and descriptions and theory for nothing.

there are too much variation for each question and you need keywords to score a mark, not only memorising lol . i am alright with cosmology and nuclear physics long questions, but medical physics is a killer, I just hate this topic.
Original post by Reda2
Stuff from AS is definitively coming up, about energy levels I think and emission and absorption spectrum maybe.

Did they mention this in an examiner's report or are you guessing?
Reply 77
Original post by PotAuFeu
Did they mention this in an examiner's report or are you guessing?

Just guessing about the topics. There are always AS stuff.
Original post by Scitty
There's no guarantee in space that protons = neutrons in any case, so there isn't necessarily the same number of neutrons as protons here. It's only an estimate based on a general critical density idea.

You're assuming that if p0 is 1x10^-26 kgm^-3 then in 1m^3 you've got 1x10^-26kg of matter mass.

You want to find out the proportion that is protons, so you're dividing that mass (NOT the critical density, the MASS) by the mass of a proton.

If that makes sense?

Thanks. I understood that; just seems a weird assumption that all of the mass in that cubic meter is entirely due to protons but then gain, the space is mostly hydrogen and dark matter/energy so who knows.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reda2
I hope this helps! I have attached it.emf.PNG

Your explanation is very clear sir, thank you.
just one thing, for the graph, can i start from Positive 80mV?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending