The Student Room Group

Any last minute A level tips?

Hi,

I’m doing A level Biology, Chemistry and Maths exams in June. (OCR for bio and chem, AQA for Maths)

I’ve been revising over the year and generally doing well in past papers but I feel like it’s going to come down to how lucky I am on the day with the paper.

I’m feeling a bit worried about not doing as well as expected, as I’m aiming for A’s but didn’t do as well in my mocks.

If anyone has any last minute tips on what revision I should be doing or exam technique let me know!

Also, if anyone is doing the same subjects feel free to tell me how you’re feeling!
Original post by pa01111
Hi,

I’m doing A level Biology, Chemistry and Maths exams in June. (OCR for bio and chem, AQA for Maths)

I’ve been revising over the year and generally doing well in past papers but I feel like it’s going to come down to how lucky I am on the day with the paper.

I’m feeling a bit worried about not doing as well as expected, as I’m aiming for A’s but didn’t do as well in my mocks.

If anyone has any last minute tips on what revision I should be doing or exam technique let me know!

Also, if anyone is doing the same subjects feel free to tell me how you’re feeling!

i do maths physics chem. physics and chem are aqa. judging off this recent aqa physics paper, im going to revise more problem solving for chemistry than just past papers and content. you might want to look at what people were saying for ocr physics, i heard it was also pretty bad but maybe it was bad in a different way to aqa.

im just doing topic questions, past papers and extra problem solving as i mentioned. in terms of being lucky on the day - that is true, but a good tip is to ask yourself what topics/questions you'd feel unlucky/worried about if you saw them in the paper, and do more revision on them so then luck plays less of a part.
Reply 2
Original post by user8937264980
i do maths physics chem. physics and chem are aqa. judging off this recent aqa physics paper, im going to revise more problem solving for chemistry than just past papers and content. you might want to look at what people were saying for ocr physics, i heard it was also pretty bad but maybe it was bad in a different way to aqa.

im just doing topic questions, past papers and extra problem solving as i mentioned. in terms of being lucky on the day - that is true, but a good tip is to ask yourself what topics/questions you'd feel unlucky/worried about if you saw them in the paper, and do more revision on them so then luck plays less of a part.

That’s amazing that you do physics! (I always hated physics for some reason) You never actually can judge how well you’ve done on an exam, so I’m sure you’ve done well! Yes I’ve been doing past papers and exam questions and then going through any topics I struggled on. I went through yesterday and made a list of things I would want to come up for biology and have been going through those today as Biology is definitely my hardest one.

I’ve been feeling okay about Maths but I’m starting to panic a bit as I definitely struggle with pure more than mechanics and stats but I’m just doing loads of exam questions and past papers so hopefully that’ll go okay.
For Chem I’m more so worried about the organic paper. The content is interesting in lessons but OCR know how to write really difficult organic questions. I’m assuming it’s the same for AQA?

Thanks for the advice and I hope all your other exams go well :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by pa01111
Hi,

Hello,

I would probably say that these last few days probably won't make too much of a difference, maybe make a document of the stuff you struggle on and read through that leading up to the exam..

I would say that it is incredibly important that you are in a good mood on the day of the exam, so maybe have the evening before the exam off to watch a film or do something that you enjoy, so you wake up in a good mood and end up performing better on the day?

Whenever I have something big coming up I always watch my favourite film the night before so I feel relaxed
hey I do chem too where could I get problem solving type harder qns to do?

Reply 5
Original post by Rozh11
Hello,

I would probably say that these last few days probably won't make too much of a difference, maybe make a document of the stuff you struggle on and read through that leading up to the exam..

I would say that it is incredibly important that you are in a good mood on the day of the exam, so maybe have the evening before the exam off to watch a film or do something that you enjoy, so you wake up in a good mood and end up performing better on the day?

Whenever I have something big coming up I always watch my favourite film the night before so I feel relaxed

I definitely agree with relaxing the night before. It’s so important to look after your mental health in exam season and I’m the same that my mood depends on how I’m feeling around the event. I’m going to make that document. Thanks for the help! :smile:
Original post by flora14
hey I do chem too where could I get problem solving type harder qns to do?

isaac physics
Original post by pa01111
That’s amazing that you do physics! (I always hated physics for some reason) You never actually can judge how well you’ve done on an exam, so I’m sure you’ve done well! Yes I’ve been doing past papers and exam questions and then going through any topics I struggled on. I went through yesterday and made a list of things I would want to come up for biology and have been going through those today as Biology is definitely my hardest one.

I’ve been feeling okay about Maths but I’m starting to panic a bit as I definitely struggle with pure more than mechanics and stats but I’m just doing loads of exam questions and past papers so hopefully that’ll go okay.
For Chem I’m more so worried about the organic paper. The content is interesting in lessons but OCR know how to write really difficult organic questions. I’m assuming it’s the same for AQA?

Thanks for the advice and I hope all your other exams go well :smile:

yeah they can word stuff weirdly but as long as you know the tests, mechanisms reagents and conditions you should be ok. those seem to cover most questions
yeah they can word stuff weirdly but as long as you know the tests, mechanisms reagents and conditions you should be ok. those seem to cover most questions

isaac physics don't show the answers how do you figure out the answer? for the a level maths questions I attempt I get some wrong and it just says wrong it does not tell me the answer.
(edited 11 months ago)
are there any other good sites this one is kinda confusing lol
Original post by anightowllol
isaac physics don't show the answers how do you figure out the answer?
Reply 10
Original post by pa01111
Hi,

Heya!

Don't worry, with your consistent revision and past paper practice, you've laid a strong foundation for your A-level exams. Remember that success on exam day isn't just about luck, but also about preparation and effective exam technique. In these final weeks, focus on targeted revision, addressing any weak areas, and familiarising yourself with the exam format and mark schemes. Stay positive, manage your exam stress, and seek support from teachers or peers to ensure you're well-equipped for achieving your goal of A grades.

Good luck to you and fellow students preparing for the same subjects!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 11
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!

Don't worry, with your consistent revision and past paper practice, you've laid a strong foundation for your A-level exams. Remember that success on exam day isn't just about luck, but also about preparation and effective exam technique. In these final weeks, focus on targeted revision, addressing any weak areas, and familiarising yourself with the exam format and mark schemes. Stay positive, manage your exam stress, and seek support from teachers or peers to ensure you're well-equipped for achieving your goal of A grades.

Good luck to you and fellow students preparing for the same subjects!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by flora14
are there any other good sites this one is kinda confusing lol

Study Mind, Physics and Maths Tutor, Save My Exams, Maths Made Easy all have questions by topic.
If you’re looking for difficult questions the longer mark questions near the back of the papers tend to be the most difficult ones. Also if you have a textbook there tends to be more difficult questions in there as well.

Hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest