The Student Room Group

If you had a choice would you become immortal or die naturally?

A lot of people say they would become immortal but think of how tiring life would get after everyone you know and love passed away and you are left with an eternity of knowing and loving mortal people who will eventually leave you.

Unless you were extravagantly wealthy you would also spend your lifetime(s) working to support yourself aswell.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

immortal
Die, but I would be young and just drop dead.

Basically like a cat.
die naturally :s-smilie:
Die. I don't think I could live knowing everyone I meet will one day perish. Over time, I might even be desensitised to things like death. I wouldn't be me any more.
True but you could say the same argument for being mortal. Immortality had the issue of being alive for too long. But mortality has the issue of being alive for too short. Not everyone makes it to the age where they can marry, have kids and then grandkids.

Yes immortality has the issue of having to watch your loved ones die but what if they do decide to be immortal too?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I would still die.
Original post by angelcake123
True but you could say the same for being mortal. Immortality had the issue of being alive for too long. But mortality has the issue of being alive for too short. Not everyone makes it to the age where they can marry, have kids and then grandkids.

Yes immortality has the issue of having to watch your loved ones die but what if they do decide to be immortal too?

That's true I hadn't really thought of that point. Many people in this current world do not have the privilege of being able to live way into their 80's. Even though some in the Western world say we live for too long even now.

I should have said in the OP that only you as an individual has the right to immortal life; not anyone else in this particular scenario.

There's also the problem of telomere shortening which causes aging. Would you really want to be immortal but still age?
Immortal. I could learn everything.
Original post by morgan8002
Immortal. I could learn everything.

To explain all nature is too difficult a task for anyone man or even for anyone age. It is much better to do a little with certainty and then leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things.

Issac Newton
Original post by starlight82
Die. I don't think I could live knowing everyone I meet will one day perish. Over time, I might even be desensitised to things like death. I wouldn't be me any more.

But that's the same now.

I can't help but look at a baby and think.you've brought something o the world that is going to get old and die :frown:

I really need a ****ing job to stop me thinking about this ****.
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
To explain all nature is too difficult a task for anyone man or even for anyone age. It is much better to do a little with certainty and then leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things.

Issac Newton

Exactly. Being mortal I have to follow this but if I was immortal I wouldn't have to.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But that's the same now.

I can't help but look at a baby and think.you've brought something o the world that is going to get old and die :frown:

I really need a ****ing job to stop me thinking about this ****.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I work too but I still think about **** like this all the time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Die naturally.
Exactly. Being mortal I have to follow this but if I was immortal I wouldn't have to.

Yes, you could learn everything but explain? That's difficult.
Immortality regardless, I can do more with it.

Though I do hope that others can be immortal with me.
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yes, you could learn everything but explain? That's difficult.

Of course, but that's an even more compelling reason. If I was immortal I could learn many things that are known, then research and explain new things while learning more of the known things.
When the sun eventually explodes I'll be like :erm: what now.
Of course, but that's an even more compelling reason. If I was immortal I could learn many things that are known, then research and explain new things while learning more of the known things.

Haha, perhaps, assuming that you wouldn't have to wait for technological advancement to obtain the necessary tools for carrying out experiments. Otherwise, being immortal has no benefit as you are subject to time itself.
Original post by SeanFM
When the sun eventually explodes I'll be like :erm: what now.

That's depressing... :s-smilie: :p::tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply