The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Urban Planning entry 2016?

There's not much on urban planning on tsr so anyone who's applying next year can talk in this thread :smile: What universities are you guys applying for? Have you gotten your offers yet?

I applied to UCL, Manchester, Newcastle, Cardiff and Sheffield and I've gotten all my offers. I'm going to firm UCL and Sheffield is my insurance
Reply 1
congrats!!
i applied to cardiff, manc, sheffield, liverpool and UCL and got all my offers too
what was your offer for cardiff (grades wise)
Reply 2
Original post by eheheh
congrats!!
i applied to cardiff, manc, sheffield, liverpool and UCL and got all my offers too

I got offered AAA
I applied to Manchester, cardiff, sheff, liverpool and Newcastle and got all offers!
Reply 4
Original post by Bethfirkins
I applied to Manchester, cardiff, sheff, liverpool and Newcastle and got all offers!

Congratulations! Do you know which one you're going to firm yet? From the look of things, it seems that not many people are going for urban planning this year lol
Reply 5
Congratulations guys, I was in your same position last year, not many people applied either :smile:

Due to budget requirements, I had to drop my offers in Manchester and Newcastle, had to stick to Scotland! but very happy with the course, I'm sure you all will enjoy !!
Hi, congratulations to everyone!

Question: what subjects/qualifications do you all have/took to get into uni for urban planning? :smile:
Reply 7
I am starting Urban design & City Planning this year, at UCL. Cannot wait!! :biggrin:
Anyone interested in studying town planning might like to have a look at the booklet on planning careers prepared by the Royal Town Planning Insitute (RTPI) (http://www.rtpi.org.uk/media/1806063/2016_About%20Planning%20Guide.pdf) or watch the 'Future Planners' video on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWlzLeoA-9w

Good luck with your applications or (if exploring the options) Open Day visits!

Joe Doak,
Associate Professor of Urban Planning & Development,
University of Reading
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by eheheh
congrats!!

Hello!!

Please may I ask if your offers were the same as what they ask for on their websites or if some unis put their offers up/lowered their requirements?

I'm looking to apply for 2017 but most uni's are ABB and I think ill only get BBB!

Thanks!
Original post by marie-anne22
Hello!!

Please may I ask if your offers were the same as what they ask for on their websites or if some unis put their offers up/lowered their requirements?

I'm looking to apply for 2017 but most uni's are ABB and I think ill only get BBB!

Thanks!

I'm in the same position!! I really want to try this year and get the best grades I can so I am aiming for some A'S but if the universities lowered their offers then that would be great to know!

I'm also applying for 2017! What uni's are you looking at?
Original post by Princess peach22
I'm in the same position!! I really want to try this year and get the best grades I can so I am aiming for some A'S but if the universities lowered their offers then that would be great to know!

I'm also applying for 2017! What uni's are you looking at?

On this issue, I can inform you that almost all universities will make adjustment to their grade requirements at confirmation. Depending on final A-level/BTEC/etc. results and the number of offer-holders who hit their required grades, each university will probably drop their grades in order to hit their individual institutional/departmental targets. Every university is likely to be in 'clearing' these days, and decisions will need to be made by admissions tutors for people who didn't quite make their required grades.

Part of this process is also built into the offer-holding stage: all universities will probably make 'aspirational offers' to applicants who are predicted exam results that fall just short of their required grades. Also many universities make unconditional offers or, like we do at Reading, allow a dropped grade if the applicant firmly accepts the offer.

So. I guess I should reassure people that 'all is not lost' if you do not quite get the required grades for your first choice course. However, I cannot guarantee that you will get in! Of course, most of this 'adjustment' is done by admissions teams/tutors during the week BEFORE the exam results are formally released, so most applicants are spared the drama/lottery of shopping around for a place on a course!

Joe Doak,
UG Admissions Tutor,
Real Estate & Planning,
University of Reading
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
My daughter got into her insurance choice Sheffield this year for planning with BBC and an offer through clearing at Newcastle as she decided she didn't want to go to Sheffield in the end. So don't worry! But work harder than my daughter did and I'm sure you'll be fine!
Give it until next week....and then just send a quick email to UG Admissions to check. They are usually pretty prompt.
Joe
I am looking to start an MA in planning this year, can anyone suggest some good reading material.
To get you thinking....and dreaming, I would recommend the 2014 affordable paperbook version of 'Rebuilding Britain: Planning for a Better Future' by Hugh Ellis and Kate Henderson.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending