The Student Room Group

Which are the most politically active universities?

I'm deciding between Edinburgh, Manchester and Sussex. Which of these tend to be the most politically active/get actively involved in political discussion/debate/demonstrations. Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 1
I had a quick look online and it sounds like Sussex is very politically active? However I think this is something you have to find out for yourself- if it really matters, contact the unis, go to open days etc and find out more about them and their political scenes! :smile:
Come to Sussex. It's great.
Sussex if you support Corbyn and are vegan

Posted from TSR Mobile
sheffield are very left wing and pc, even though it isnt on your list (might aid others)
Take a look at what constituency the uni is in, who holds it, and how long they've held it. That should give you a good idea for what sort of people you'll find there. Then remember that wherever you go, you're with students, and students love to get protesty about everything, so political activism is almost guaranteed. Even if the demonstrations aren't in your area, you'll probably find people willing to drive a coachload of you all over the country.
Although, yeah I'm with neal95 on Sheffield being the most politically active.
Reply 6
SOAS
Goldsmiths #KillAllWhiteMen
Original post by neal95
sheffield are very left wing and pc, even though it isnt on your list (might aid others)

I'd say the union is very pc and left wing, or if you're in certain circles like SUPAS, otherwise most students at Sheffield are in the centre or even slightly right wing. I'm mostly surrounded by scientists, engineers and international students though so it might be a bit different for people doing arts and where a lot of their friends are home students.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say the union is very pc and left wing, or if you're in certain circles like SUPAS, otherwise most students at Sheffield are in the centre or even slightly right wing. I'm mostly surrounded by scientists, engineers and international students though so it might be a bit different for people doing arts and where a lot of their friends are home students.

Yeah I would agree with that I think. I am a law student and am a right wing conservative and whilst there are a few right leaning students, the majority are left wing. The teaching faculty are especially left wing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending