The Student Room Group

St Dominics

Hey guys, I was wondering if I coukd get some questions answered about St Dominics Sixth Form.

1) Is it true students get no enrichment and have to do it all theirselves, or is it a lie? If this is false, please tell me what they offer
2) What's the culture like with attainment at St Dominics. Are most aiming for As and A* or Bs and Cs. Please elaborate if yk
3) Do the students mock you for being poor ?
4)Are the humanities and Maths teachers top notch or bottom of the barrel? Please lmk if you've had a good or bad experience. Not interested in how good or bad the science teachers are.
5) Is the college Dean nice and approachable?
6) For politics students, as there are many students in one class, do debates get controversial and interesting?
7) Does St Doms prepare you for Uni or further education well enough, which links back to the enrichment question.

I'd really appreciate if I could get some answers to this question as I'm really considering going here this year, I just need a bit more info.
Reply 1
Original post by battle_machine07
Hey guys, I was wondering if I coukd get some questions answered about St Dominics Sixth Form.
1) Is it true students get no enrichment and have to do it all theirselves, or is it a lie? If this is false, please tell me what they offer
2) What's the culture like with attainment at St Dominics. Are most aiming for As and A* or Bs and Cs. Please elaborate if yk
4)Are the humanities and Maths teachers top notch or bottom of the barrel? Please lmk if you've had a good or bad experience. Not interested in how good or bad the science teachers are.
6) For politics students, as there are many students in one class, do debates get controversial and interesting?
7) Does St Doms prepare you for Uni or further education well enough, which links back to the enrichment question.
I'd really appreciate if I could get some answers to this question as I'm really considering going here this year, I just need a bit more info.

You have enrichment activities on a Wednesday in yr 1 until the December holiday, and then it might continue depending on what it is eg. DofE and sports teams will continue. You can join clubs after that though, like Ecologi club, Law club etc.

It varies a lot. Lots of people are aiming for As and A*s, but they might not get them at the beginning of the year, or even in yr 1 at all. Obviously, the average is a C, and plenty of people get less than that regularly, but it's a learning curve, and most people improve.

No.

It varies again. Some of the teachers are really good, and others, less so. I don't have any that are terrible, and I think most of them are alright, tbh. They only teach A level content as well, so they're probably better than teachers at sixth forms that are attached to secondary schools.

Yes, very.

I don't really know as I don't take politics, but I think there are about 18 students in a politics class. Idk to be honest.

Yeah, I think so. There's a lot of opportunities to learn about application process and hear from specific unis etc.

Reply 2

You have enrichment activities on a Wednesday in yr 1 until the December holiday, and then it might continue depending on what it is eg. DofE and sports teams will continue. You can join clubs after that though, like Ecologi club, Law club etc.

It varies a lot. Lots of people are aiming for As and A*s, but they might not get them at the beginning of the year, or even in yr 1 at all. Obviously, the average is a C, and plenty of people get less than that regularly, but it's a learning curve, and most people improve.

No.

It varies again. Some of the teachers are really good, and others, less so. I don't have any that are terrible, and I think most of them are alright, tbh. They only teach A level content as well, so they're probably better than teachers at sixth forms that are attached to secondary schools.

Yes, very.

I don't really know as I don't take politics, but I think there are about 18 students in a politics class. Idk to be honest.

Yeah, I think so. There's a lot of opportunities to learn about application process and hear from specific unis etc.

Reply 3

No.

Yes, very.

Yeah, I think so. There's a lot of opportunities to learn about the application process and hear from specific unis etc.

Original post by amazz

No.

Yes, very.

Yeah, I think so. There's a lot of opportunities to learn about the application process and hear from specific unis etc.

Thank you for answering these questions. Now it's about getting the final grades I need to secure my place. lf to coming here sooon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending