The Student Room Group

Projects for application

Hey, so I applied to do the EPQ but unfortunately my college didn't let me do it (too many people) so I was wondering what other things I can do if I want to apply to universities like Bath, Exeter and Manchester etc- all fairly good universities.

I can't do any residentials over the summer as I am visiting family but any projects I can do or activities that would help my application would be great. I am already doing a couple MOOCs so I feel I need something else to add. I don't really know what course I want to do yet but I am studying A-level law, politics and psychology- though I don't mind if it relates to a different subject as I am open to anything.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by please help me x
Hey, so I applied to do the EPQ but unfortunately my college didn't let me do it (too many people) so I was wondering what other things I can do if I want to apply to universities like Bath, Exeter and Manchester etc- all fairly good universities.

I can't do any residentials over the summer as I am visiting family but any projects I can do or activities that would help my application would be great. I am already doing a couple MOOCs so I feel I need something else to add. I don't really know what course I want to do yet but I am studying A-level law, politics and psychology- though I don't mind if it relates to a different subject as I am open to anything.

You don't really need to do an EPQ. For most degrees, extra activities are nice things you can do but by no means essential, so focus first on the essential - get your predicted grades as high as possible and decide what subject you want to apply to so you can read about it and write a good personal statement that reflects that you know what you're going into, and then do other things if you can. That will vary based on the subject, although for most subjects there's really very little extra activities you can do!
Original post by please help me x

Hey, I've applied to both Exeter and Manchester and received offers from both. I was quite limited in what activities I could do but what I found really helped was essay competitions. Especially for a humanities subject (I applied for one) they are impressive because they show you have initiative and some degree of research and essay writing skills. By no means do you have to win or even be acknowledged by the university for your essay, you can still write a really good sentence about it in your application. The best essay competitions are hosted by Cambridge and Oxford, if you're interested dm me and I can send you direct links! They have an essay prompt for literally every subject and it's quite similar to what skills an EPQ would give you, just with even more independence!

Also watch lectures on YouTube and Spotify podcasts. It sounds weird but trust me, there is a Spotify podcast for everything and if you mentioned one it would show that you really enjoy this subject, and exploring it is pretty much a hobby for you - that enthusiasm is key!! And depending on what subject you want to apply for you can mention an article you read regarding current affairs, to show that you keep up with the field and have a genuine interest.

If you have any questions pls dm me! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending