The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Uni of Exeter

Hi all, I’m interested in studying history and politics, and are predicted ABB, however I love the look of Exeter but the reputation scares me. I’m working class, will I have issues there? If so, what are some good alternatives around where I am. I’m eligible for a contextual offer btw.
If you're eligible for a contextual offer you'd probably be able to consider UCL.

Might be worth also looking at York, Nottingham, Birmingham, etc.

Exeter is reasonably good for both subjects and people I knew in both subjects (I knew someone who did both - one at undergrad and one at masters and said it was quite a good experience overall).

That said it is notoriously white and upper middle class - it certainly was when I was there and from what I've heard and recent statistics that doesn't seem to have changed much.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
If you're eligible for a contextual offer you'd probably be able to consider UCL.

Might be worth also looking at York, Nottingham, Birmingham, etc.

Exeter is reasonably good for both subjects and people I knew in both subjects (I knew someone who did both - one at undergrad and one at masters and said it was quite a good experience overall).

That said it is notoriously white and upper middle class - it certainly was when I was there and from what I've heard and recent statistics that doesn't seem to have changed much.

thank you for all your help! I’d love UCL but it’s too expensive I think, I don’t get any income support really, why Exeter freaks me out a bit, especially with the demographics. I’m from Cardiff so I liked it was close enough. I was sad that Bristol didn’t have a joint honours course.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all, I’m interested in studying history and politics, and are predicted ABB, however I love the look of Exeter but the reputation scares me. I’m working class, will I have issues there? If so, what are some good alternatives around where I am. I’m eligible for a contextual offer btw.

Hi there,

It's great to hear you are interested in the University of Exeter! I'm a third year History student, so feel free to get in touch with any questions about the course!

I'd also like to reassure you that you have no reason to be concerned about your background, or how this might affect your university experience! Personally, I have found all the students here to be really welcoming and friendly, regardless of their financial background or personal situations. Of course, as with any university, there are people from different walks of life, and some will inevitably choose to stick together, but I hope this doesn't impact your decision too much. Both in academic settings and in clubs and societies, I have met some really wonderful people - all from very different backgrounds, and I can honestly say this has no impact on our relationship at all! As long as you get stuck in and put yourself out there, you shouldn't have any problem making friends and enjoying your time here!

Please do feel free to get back in touch with any other questions or concerns, and I'll be happy to get back to you!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous
thank you for all your help! I’d love UCL but it’s too expensive I think, I don’t get any income support really, why Exeter freaks me out a bit, especially with the demographics. I’m from Cardiff so I liked it was close enough. I was sad that Bristol didn’t have a joint honours course.

Note UCL (and most unis) have bursaries to support students from lower income backgrounds. You also get more maintenance loan allocation if you are from a lower income background (and additional on top of that if you are studying in London).

The amounts vary between unis but for example at UCL if entitled to the maximum I believe its currently £3000 a year additional bursary (plus the max maintenance loan for studying in London which js ~£12k per year).
Reply 5
Note UCL (and most unis) have bursaries to support students from lower income backgrounds. You also get more maintenance loan allocation if you are from a lower income background (and additional on top of that if you are studying in London).

The amounts vary between unis but for example at UCL if entitled to the maximum I believe its currently £3000 a year additional bursary (plus the max maintenance loan for studying in London which js ~£12k per year).

Ooo that’s useful! I’d love Bristol too but my Personal Statement is all history and politics and they don’t have a course on it.

Hi all,

I just wanted to add to this from a University of Exeter perspective, that you can also find a list of different scholarships and bursaries schemes available on our website here . You might also find it easier to use our funding search here, which allows you to fill in details such as the course and campus you're interested and search for different schemes you may be eligible for, including means-tested bursaries.

I'd also like to reiterate Kitty's previous message about how welcoming University of Exeter students can be. I've studied at the Penryn Campus for my undergraduate, Masters and PhD, and haven't felt like my background has led me to be treated differently or excluded compared to anyone else. One of the really great things about university is the diversity of experiences that people bring, and I'm sure between activities on your course, sports clubs, societies, accommodation and other events on and around campus you're sure to find a friendship group where you feel comfortable, accepted and able to have your best university experience.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I'd be happy to help.

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Hi all,
If anyone has an offer for Exeter politics/IR a few of us have made an instagram groupchat, so just let me know if you’d like to join 😄👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending