The Student Room Group

Camp America 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperAl
If I've passed the interview is it likely I'll get placed?

There's a fantastic chance of placement! We also recommend adding a video if you haven't already - this will help your application to stand out from the rest! :smile: - Sophie
Original post by SCG96
I have applied for camp america and had my interview, and passed, and am waiting to be placed. I have been offered to RSG which means to apply for my visa before I get placed which means being able to leave within 3 days notice! Im not sure what to do? I really really would love to go but I'm anxious about getting placed? Anyone know of late placements?

Hello! Congratulations on passing your interview! It's completely up to you - RSG is an excellent chance to increase your placement chances, and whilst you may leave within 3 days notice, some people will get a lot longer, and you could be hired in the next couple of months like normal anyway :smile: We wouldn't have given you the offer unless we thought we had a good chance of placing you. If you want to talk to someone more about the RSG programme, just give us a call on 0207 581 7373. There's lots of staff in the office who have been on it! :smile: - Sophie
Original post by Niznoz
Yes, I've paid for and it's been sent to me; I was told I didn't need to send it over to you. There's another issue with it but I've sent a message back and forth :smile: Thanks

No problem - let us know if we can help you with anything else!
Reply 83
My passport is still valid but will need a new passport for going to america if i get placed. If i apply for the RSG programme and apply for my visa do I need my new passport before applying?
Original post by SCG96
My passport is still valid but will need a new passport for going to america if i get placed. If i apply for the RSG programme and apply for my visa do I need my new passport before applying?

Hey! If you email [email protected], they'll be able to explain this in a lot of detail for you :smile: - Sophie
Reply 85
My application is still yet to go live, would you recommend applying for the RSG at this late stage? :s
Original post by Niznoz
My application is still yet to go live, would you recommend applying for the RSG at this late stage? :s

Hello! The RSG programme is something you're offered once you're at RTP stage, so isn't something you apply for yourself. Have you had an interview yet? - Sophie
Reply 87
How long did people have to wait to be contacted by their interviewer and have their interview? I've been waiting about a week and a half now but still haven't heard anything 😁
Original post by Jen4735
How long did people have to wait to be contacted by their interviewer and have their interview? I've been waiting about a week and a half now but still haven't heard anything 😁

Hey Jen! Have you sent them an email yet? I'd recommend messaging them, and if they have their phone number on their application, feel free to give them a text or call :smile: If you still don't hear via phone, you can always select another interviewer :smile: Email [email protected] if you'd like us to look into this more for you so we can take your name and look into it! I hope this helps :smile: - Sophie
Reply 89
Original post by Camp America
Hello! The RSG programme is something you're offered once you're at RTP stage, so isn't something you apply for yourself. Have you had an interview yet? - Sophie

Yes, have had an interview and have done everything on my application, it's 'processing' 😰😊thanks!
Hi :smile: My application has been at RTP stage for just over 2 months now. I had an offer for an interview at a camp about 1 week after it went live but I couldn't do their dates and I've now been offered an interview for a camp 2 months later which I would be able to do. However, I'm not sure (if I get an offer of employment) whether to accept it or not as it's not really the type of camp I wanted to go to. This camp is more of a college-style academy whereas I really want to go to a more traditional camp that's in the woods. I just wondered if anyone had any advise on what I should do since I don't want to accept it and not enjoy it fully when I'm out there knowing that if I'd declined it I might have been offered a camp that was more what I wanted, but at the same time I don't want to decline it and get no offer from another camp so end up not going? Thanks for any help :smile:

Edit: Also, what's the policy on contacting camps directly since I've been looking at some camps that went to the recruitment fairs (that I wasn't able to attend) and really like the look of some of them?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Photographer406
Hi :smile: My application has been at RTP stage for just over 2 months now. I had an offer for an interview at a camp about 1 week after it went live but I couldn't do their dates and I've now been offered an interview for a camp 2 months later which I would be able to do. However, I'm not sure (if I get an offer of employment) whether to accept it or not as it's not really the type of camp I wanted to go to. This camp is more of a college-style academy whereas I really want to go to a more traditional camp that's in the woods. I just wondered if anyone had any advise on what I should do since I don't want to accept it and not enjoy it fully when I'm out there knowing that if I'd declined it I might have been offered a camp that was more what I wanted, but at the same time I don't want to decline it and get no offer from another camp so end up not going? Thanks for any help :smile:

Edit: Also, what's the policy on contacting camps directly since I've been looking at some camps that went to the recruitment fairs (that I wasn't able to attend) and really like the look of some of them?

Hello there! If you aren't happy with the camp, we wouldn't want you to accept a placement you weren't comfortable with. We always recommend participants to skype a camp, particularly if they are a little unsure about it, as this will be the best way to find out all the information you need to know about the camp. If you do get offered a placement and do not wish to accept it, then you'll need to give [email protected] and we can do this for you. What's your name please, and I can take more of a look into this for you :smile:

In terms of contacting camps directly, we don't advise this as some camps don't like it, however at the same time we cannot stop you from contacting camps if you wish :smile: I hope this helps! - Sophie
Original post by Niznoz
Yes, have had an interview and have done everything on my application, it's 'processing' 😰😊thanks!

No problem! Hopefully your application will go live very soon :smile: - Sophie
Original post by SeaweedBrain
Thank you! I will try :smile:

Hey, did you get in in the end?
Hello there! If you aren't happy with the camp, we wouldn't want you to accept a placement you weren't comfortable with. We always recommend participants to skype a camp, particularly if they are a little unsure about it, as this will be the best way to find out all the information you need to know about the camp. If you do get offered a placement and do not wish to accept it, then you'll need to give [email protected] and we can do this for you. What's your name please, and I can take more of a look into this for you :smile:

In terms of contacting camps directly, we don't advise this as some camps don't like it, however at the same time we cannot stop you from contacting camps if you wish :smile: I hope this helps! - Sophie

Thanks for the advice Sophie :smile: My name's Freya Burgess. I've got a skype interview set up with them tomorrow and they seem like a great camp as I've looked at their website but they're not based in the woods or in cabins or anything so it's just me being fussy I think really.
Original post by Photographer406
Thanks for the advice Sophie :smile: My name's Freya Burgess. I've got a skype interview set up with them tomorrow and they seem like a great camp as I've looked at their website but they're not based in the woods or in cabins or anything so it's just me being fussy I think really.

Hey Freya! Fantastic - thanks! That's a really awesome camp, but I'd say definitely skype to find out more information and make sure you're really happy with it :smile: You can take a few days to think about it too! If you would like further advice, don't hesitate to chat on here or give us a call on 0207 581 7373 and we'd be happy to help you out with this any time :smile: Good luck with the Skype interview! - Sophie
Hey Freya! Fantastic - thanks! That's a really awesome camp, but I'd say definitely skype to find out more information and make sure you're really happy with it :smile: You can take a few days to think about it too! If you would like further advice, don't hesitate to chat on here or give us a call on 0207 581 7373 and we'd be happy to help you out with this any time :smile: Good luck with the Skype interview! - Sophie

Thank you :smile:
Reply 97
Hi there, I've been in ready to place for nearly two months now and I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to get placed!! I'm sure its all about being patient but I really want to go and I am so excited to find out where I will be spending my summer!!
I would appreciate it if you could answer a few questions that I have...
What percentage of people didn't get placed last year? Is it the stronger candidates that are selected for RSG? Is athletics a common skill that is taught at summer camps? (I have really emphasised this skill on my application). Also, I have my availability date set as 12th June, is this holding me back? I will be finding out when my exams are shortly so I will be able to push this forward if they finish earlier!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Just want to make sure I've got the best possibility of being placed! Thankyou!!
Original post by roberts1
Hi there, I've been in ready to place for nearly two months now and I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to get placed!! I'm sure its all about being patient but I really want to go and I am so excited to find out where I will be spending my summer!!
I would appreciate it if you could answer a few questions that I have...
What percentage of people didn't get placed last year? Is it the stronger candidates that are selected for RSG? Is athletics a common skill that is taught at summer camps? (I have really emphasised this skill on my application). Also, I have my availability date set as 12th June, is this holding me back? I will be finding out when my exams are shortly so I will be able to push this forward if they finish earlier!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Just want to make sure I've got the best possibility of being placed! Thankyou!!

Hello there! Don't worry at all - there's still lots of time to be placed! Here are some tips to increase your application chances:
- Upload a video! This is a great way to show off your personality to camp directors and to stand out!
- Availability date! If you can push your availability date forward a little, this will increase the amount of camps able to place you!
- Camp types! Selecting willing to as many camp types as possible will allow more camps to place you!

We have a really great placement rate, and send over 8000 people to camp every year! The US office decides who goes on to the RSG programme and more people get selected every day. Athletics is a skill that is taught at camps yes! Your availability date won't set you back, but if you could fly out earlier then obviously that's great as more camps will be able to place you!

I hope this helps :smile: - Sophie
I have my interview next week and on the DBS form one of the documents I chose was my P60 but I'm not sure whether I can get it in time. Will this be any issue? Is there any way I change which documents I will be taking?

Quick Reply

Latest