The Student Room Group

Becoming a Vet

I have had a life time dream of being a vet. I am now 16 and in year 11 and have been faced with the difficult decision of having to decide which A-Levels will give me the best opportunity of getting into a good veterinary college.

I would like to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths but I have been told by various people that I need all the sciences and maths.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by skegg.chik
I have had a life time dream of being a vet. I am now 16 and in year 11 and have been faced with the difficult decision of having to decide which A-Levels will give me the best opportunity of getting into a good veterinary college.

I would like to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths but I have been told by various people that I need all the sciences and maths.

I am taking further maths at A-level right now and most colleges do it so that if you do take further maths, you do a full a-level in maths in your first year (year 12) and a full a-level in further maths in your second year (year 13).
Hi there! Welcome to TSR :hi:.

I'm currently a vet student, so was in your position a few years ago. The A-Level requirements for all UK vet schools can be found here.

As you can see, provided you get a good pass in all the sciences at GCSE, it's only Cambridge that ask for a third science beyond chemistry and biology. The combination you're considering right now will be perfect and make you eligible to apply anywhere, provided you get the grades. That said, don't make the mistake of thinking that taking physics/maths as your third and fourth subjects will confer any advantage. The grade is more important than the subject, and I know people that did subjects such as psychology, geography, English literature, history and RS alongside bio and chem. I recommend taking subjects that you'll enjoy studying the most :smile:

Remember alongside your grades you'll want to be doing some varied work experience (vet practices, farms, kennels, stables etc) in the run up to applying. Plenty of information on the vet forum :smile:

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hi there! Welcome to TSR :hi:.

I'm currently a vet student, so was in your position a few years ago. The A-Level requirements for all UK vet schools can be found here.

As you can see, provided you get a good pass in all the sciences at GCSE, it's only Cambridge that ask for a third science beyond chemistry and biology. The combination you're considering right now will be perfect and make you eligible to apply anywhere, provided you get the grades. That said, don't make the mistake of thinking that taking physics/maths as your third and fourth subjects will confer any advantage. The grade is more important than the subject, and I know people that did subjects such as psychology, geography, English literature, history and RS alongside bio and chem. I recommend taking subjects that you'll enjoy studying the most :smile:

Remember alongside your grades you'll want to be doing some varied work experience (vet practices, farms, kennels, stables etc) in the run up to applying. Plenty of information on the vet forum :smile:

Best of luck!

I read on the Cambridge website that they do consider people with two sciences but only around 5% of applicants with 2 sciences got interviews, and none of them got accepted… Is that true?
Reply 4
Most universities only look for Bio and Chem; Maths or another science alongside these subjects may help. I'd say take Maths as Cambridge look for a third science (although check what I said in the above post, as this might not be fully true), but the subject is quite hard and stressful. I'm in Year 12 right now and I took Bio, Chem, Psychology, and Product Design, thinking I wanted to study Biology, then ended up choosing Vet Med instead. Now I face a problem about whether Cambridge will even consider me, so I'd recommend you take Maths, but just be prepared for what the course will be like!
Original post by iShaz_
I read on the Cambridge website that they do consider people with two sciences but only around 5% of applicants with 2 sciences got interviews, and none of them got accepted… Is that true?

I don't have a clue. Perhaps check out their website or in the Cambridge subforum? There are representatives and admissions tutors on there that might be able to help.

Where did you read that statistic?
Reply 6
I don't have a clue. Perhaps check out their website or in the Cambridge subforum? There are representatives and admissions tutors on there that might be able to help.

Where did you read that statistic?

The bit I got it from is in the Entry Requirements section:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/veterinary-medicine

Thanks for the link for the sub forum, will check that out :smile:
Original post by iShaz_
The bit I got it from is in the Entry Requirements section:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/veterinary-medicine

Thanks for the link for the sub forum, will check that out :smile:

Oh, well if it's from the website then I think it's safe to assume that statement is correct :tongue: It's from the university directly.

I can say for definite you do not need Physics.
Reply 9
Oh, well if it's from the website then I think it's safe to assume that statement is correct :tongue: It's from the university directly.

Haha sadly, yes! I'm going to have a very slim chance of getting in, but there's no harm in trying… :cookie:
Original post by iShaz_
Haha sadly, yes! I'm going to have a very slim chance of getting in, but there's no harm in trying… :cookie:

You never know unless you try, best of luck to you! :smile:
Reply 11
You never know unless you try, best of luck to you! :smile:

Thanks!!! :redface:

I'm in year 12 at the moment and am doing biology, chemistry, maths and German. As long as you do biology and chemistry, for most unis, it doesn't matter what your other subjects are. I know someone in my year who's doing bio, chem, geography and world development and wants to be a vet! Maths is useful though, as the new bio and chem A Levels have got more maths in them than they used to.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending