The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do with my life

Okay might be a long post:
I have wanted to be a vet for the longest time. Everyone around me knows it, I have completed lots of work experience and enjoyed it etc. All was on track - I got good grades in my GCSEs (although I did work bloody hard for them).
I'm in Year 12 now doing biology, chemistry and geography (as wasn't a fan of maths and really enjoyed gcse geog).
I can't get my grades up in sciences. At all. I am predicted a C in both of them. Its so frustrating because I genuinely care so much and I am trying so much but it all goes over my head.
I am predicted an A/A* in geography. This would point to doing a geography degree instead which honestly I wouldn't be opposed to, I would like to do physical geography, maybe environmental science of some sort / geology sounds interesting - I haven't looked in to it. From now - end of uni life this would be the easier and better option, however I just think maybe I'm limiting myself and if I really work on it I can get into vet med and get through vet school (but getting through vet school is a whole other hurdle).
Being a vet is almost a part of my identity and I just don't know what to do. What sort of job can you even get from geography?
I just don't know what to do lol
Focus on getting high A levels if possible and leave university applications for a year if not sure.
I have a geography degree, but it probably doesn't help you become a vet! I personally found BA(Hons) degree geography (Nottingham) very different from A'level - it was more maths focused and I struggled a bit with that as I only have GCSE 'C' in maths (which was the entry requirement).

Career wise, I'm now a Civil Servant working in a policy job, Geography was an interesting generalist degree, and gave me skills in excel, some maths, economics, environmental issues etc. When I graduated I had no idea what I wanted to do, and I have slightly fallen into the CS, but having said that, I love my job

But I'm not a vet... I think it depends a bit on how much you want to be a vet - I think the suggestion made to focus on your A'levels and perhaps wait a year to apply is good.
(edited 1 year ago)
This is a really sorry situation. You have been so focused on Vet School that it must be a kick in the teeth to realise you may not get the grades to get in. You are being realistic in considering other options - Environment science in Bristol is ABB. A great uni and a great course.

Hang in there, it must feel awful right now but this too shall pass.
Reply 4
Having a look at Veterinary courses, a lot of the grade boundaries are AAB, which should be achievable if you really do try and get through it. A level Chem and Bio were hell for me, to the point where I switched courses (deffo regret not persevering to be honest), so i definitely think you should keep trying! I know it seems hopeless now, but you still have an entire year before your A level exams, which gives you time to fully study the material and catch up. You could still apply this year to go to uni next year, and if getting into a Vet course doesn't work out I think that's when you should look into a geography degree through clearing or taking a gap year :smile:
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm just going to focus on getting as high as I can in ucas exams and then go from there :smile:
Also don't forget that there are more ways of working with/caring for animals than just Vet science. You could think about which part of being a vet you like the most and consider other careers closely related.
Original post by georgenringo
I have wanted to be a vet for the longest time. Everyone around me knows it, I have completed lots of work experience and enjoyed it etc. All was on track - I got good grades in my GCSEs (although I did work bloody hard for them).
I'm in Year 12 now doing biology, chemistry and geography (as wasn't a fan of maths and really enjoyed gcse geog).
I can't get my grades up in sciences. At all. I am predicted a C in both of them. Its so frustrating because I genuinely care so much and I am trying so much but it all goes over my head.
I am predicted an A/A* in geography. This would point to doing a geography degree instead which honestly I wouldn't be opposed to, I would like to do physical geography, maybe environmental science of some sort / geology sounds interesting - I haven't looked in to it. From now - end of uni life this would be the easier and better option, however I just think maybe I'm limiting myself and if I really work on it I can get into vet med and get through vet school (but getting through vet school is a whole other hurdle).
Being a vet is almost a part of my identity and I just don't know what to do. What sort of job can you even get from geography?

Have you considered becoming a vet radiographer instead? You can get into this by studying Diagnostic Radiography at degree level for which an average of BBB or 120 UCAS points is required.
Reply 8
Hi,

I studied physical geography and no it's not exactly vet but conservation is a major part of geography and there is a lot of crossover with biological sciences. I also want to mention that applying to vet school is not your only option for getting into vet. I know people who did degrees in e.g. zoology, biology etc. then go on to get a vet degree (like graduate accelerated vet med degree). There are many routes you can take and sometimes it may not be the most obvious/straightforward one.
Original post by georgenringo

Honestly buddy check out revisesmart_ on Instagram and come to this time next year and you do not get the grades I will give you a full refund. Targeted at AQA Biololgy and Chemistry, I have no doubt with these resources you will ger an A at least.
Daughter hasnt the grades to be a Vet but she certainly has the grades needed for Zoology so she still gets to work with animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending