The Student Room Group

Do i have any chance of getting into vet med?

Today is the final day of year 12, my predicted grades is B in biology, C in maths and D in chemistry, i have already arranged plans to get my predicted grades to AAA.

I'm currently more worried about the work experience side of things, i completed the two week vet MOOC but that's all the vet experience that i have, i only decided on becoming a vet very recently and i also am currently struggling mentally and have been for the past 3 years.

I have already signed up for a animal charity shop that also has a rescue center in the back, i also just now emailed 7 local vet clinics to ask to take me on this summer.

Do i have any chance to getting into vet med? I feel that this career path is right for me and i am willing to put an good amount of work in but will i be able to secure the work experience in time?
Reply 1
Before you really commit I suggest you spend some time in vet practises and really talk to vets.
It’s well known veterinary has one of the highest suicide rates of any profession many vets struggle with compassion fatigue and burnout. Looking at your own mental health is that going to be right for you? You have to protect your own peace and so it’s important you atleast have some idea what you are going in for.
If your predicted grades are at AAA when you apply and you can get some WEX then your chances are as good as anyone’s but really do look into the profession and speak to as many people as you can!
Great advice above.

Please take on board what ALEreapp has said, emotionally this is an extremely draining profession with an extreme suicide and drop-out rate, and that's if you even graduate - the course itself is extremely demanding and has a high drop-out rate. You have classes scheduled 9-5 Monday-Friday, and you will be expected to study outside of these hours. During your summers and holidays, you will be expected to do many weeks unpaid placements in various farms, clinics and other settings, working with strangers and sometimes staying in their homes. Could your mental health tolerate this?

If you're still interested in veterinary:
Definitely get some work experience in a clinic this summer, you will need it to apply in autumn. I personally recommend having two weeks clinical work experience, and two weeks animal handling experience as a minimum to apply but university requirements vary.
Additionally, if you haven't done any work experience yet, you don't really know that being a vet is for you. It's very different to what people think it actually entails, so do this before you commit to the idea.

If there's any other questions you have, please let us know. :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending