The Student Room Group

I hate pharmacy, shall I quit my pre-reg? Trainee pharmacist.

I have graduated MPharm with a 2:1 and am now 4 months into my year as a trainee pharmacist (pre-registration year). I absolutely hate it

All throughout university I hated the course, but I only realised just how much I hated it in second year and by then I thought I would just get the degree over and done with. I wasn't even planning on doing my pre-reg but my friends and family convinced me and to be honest, I just didn't know what else to do. The pay is decent and the only thing motivating me right now is the ability to work as a locum pharmacist after and choose when I want to work. But I really really do not enjoy this at all. Every day and all day I just think about quitting. It's HARD work and it's so stressful, especially because I don't like what I'm doing. I cry myself to sleep most nights and my mental health hasn't been the best, but I'm trying not to let it consume me and just trying to get on with day-to-day life

Lately, I have really been considering quitting because I just don't think I can do this anymore. I'm fed up with forcing myself to put effort into a career I don't like. I just need a bit of advice from people who have been in similar situations. Are there any other career paths that I can go into with my MPharm degree? I don't really know what I enjoy, to be honest, that's the main thing making leaving such a difficult choice; I don't know what I would do instead. I have experience tutoring and was a TA in my gap year and I enjoyed it. I wasn't passionate about it but it was absolutely more tolerable than what I'm doing now, so I guess teaching may be an option

If I do quit, I'll be taking a couple of months out to travel because I am so mentally drained that I just can't even think of going straight into something else. But I do need to start planning my next steps and I don't even know where to start. Any advice would be much appreciated
Am just curious did u enjoy studying pharmacy? Anything in particular you don't enjoy about it? I'm taking a gap year currently post sixth form... and yh I'd personally take time out to figure out what you like.
Reply 2
Original post by unknownrx
I have graduated MPharm with a 2:1 and am now 4 months into my year as a trainee pharmacist (pre-registration year). I absolutely hate it

All throughout university I hated the course, but I only realised just how much I hated it in second year and by then I thought I would just get the degree over and done with. I wasn't even planning on doing my pre-reg but my friends and family convinced me and to be honest, I just didn't know what else to do. The pay is decent and the only thing motivating me right now is the ability to work as a locum pharmacist after and choose when I want to work. But I really really do not enjoy this at all. Every day and all day I just think about quitting. It's HARD work and it's so stressful, especially because I don't like what I'm doing. I cry myself to sleep most nights and my mental health hasn't been the best, but I'm trying not to let it consume me and just trying to get on with day-to-day life

Lately, I have really been considering quitting because I just don't think I can do this anymore. I'm fed up with forcing myself to put effort into a career I don't like. I just need a bit of advice from people who have been in similar situations. Are there any other career paths that I can go into with my MPharm degree? I don't really know what I enjoy, to be honest, that's the main thing making leaving such a difficult choice; I don't know what I would do instead. I have experience tutoring and was a TA in my gap year and I enjoyed it. I wasn't passionate about it but it was absolutely more tolerable than what I'm doing now, so I guess teaching may be an option

If I do quit, I'll be taking a couple of months out to travel because I am so mentally drained that I just can't even think of going straight into something else. But I do need to start planning my next steps and I don't even know where to start. Any advice would be much appreciated

Still a science degree, you can become a lab technician or further studies and get a phd and go into research or teaching the course. Also jobs at pharmacy wholesalers.
Reply 3
Maybe a pharmaceutical sales rep if that is your thing. Have you looked at Prospects for ideas?
Reply 4

Honestly, if you hate it this much, quit. What's the alternative? Having a career you hate for the rest of your life? Have a look into options or speak to a careers advisor and try something else. Life is too short and we spend too many hours each week in work to be doing something that makes us miserable.
Reply 5
I was in the same position as you. I finished my pre reg went into locuming and quickly decided it wasn’t for me as well. Now I work in medical affairs in a pharma company and it’s much more tolerable and exciting compared to what I was doing previously.
Original post by kemiko21
I was in the same position as you. I finished my pre reg went into locuming and quickly decided it wasn’t for me as well. Now I work in medical affairs in a pharma company and it’s much more tolerable and exciting compared to what I was doing previously.

im applying for pharmacy this year, but i want to end up working for a pharma company. whether that be doing a phd and doing research, or doing sales or medical affairs. dont want to seem rude but what's the pay like in that region of pharmacy compared to community or pharmacist?
Reply 7

How did you go about applying for the job? Ive decided to just carry on with the year as I’m almost 6 months in and will just locum after. I was researching industry jobs but have no idea how to go about applying as a lot of the job advertisements I’ve seen require experience.
Reply 8
It sounds like you are having a tough time. If I could offer you any advice it would be to liaise with your educational supervisor, RPS have a professional advice line, and also Pharmacist Support is excellent! Please reach out to someone! 🙂
Reply 9
Original post by benjaminwhu
im applying for pharmacy this year, but i want to end up working for a pharma company. whether that be doing a phd and doing research, or doing sales or medical affairs. dont want to seem rude but what's the pay like in that region of pharmacy compared to community or pharmacist?

At first there is a pay cut compared to hospital and community and you might be on about 30-35k but depending on what you go into, you can easily make 70k plus and with lots of experience you’ll be on 6 figures.
Reply 10
How did you go about applying for the job? Ive decided to just carry on with the year as I’m almost 6 months in and will just locum after. I was researching industry jobs but have no idea how to go about applying as a lot of the job advertisements I’ve seen require experience.

The best thing is to look for entry level roles and grad schemes. Medical information is also a good entry for pharmacists. Indeed and LinkedIn are good places to look!
At first there is a pay cut compared to hospital and community and you might be on about 30-35k but depending on what you go into, you can easily make 70k plus and with lots of experience you’ll be on 6 figures.

Is it worth staying on and doing a phd, maybe part time while working? Would you be able to make more that way?
Reply 12
I’m in a similar position to the OP but I did my pre reg after time off during uni and was told by GPhC I can’t sit the exam. To be completely honest I always wanted to do corporate but had no idea how to get into pharma and other industries. The first step after pre reg was figuring out what career to do. I applied to different industries but was rejected seems pharmacy degree isn’t so transferable. I carried on working in pharmacy while trying to get away but parents convinced me to appeal to GPhC. They finally agreed to let me sit 18 months after finishing my pre reg but I really can’t be bothered. I don’t see the point of getting licenced if I refuse to work in it plus you have to do shifts and cpd and pay to keep staying on the register. Still applying for other jobs but so confused about what to do. I know someone will say get registered and at least you’ll earn 25 an hr compared to 16, but I plan to find a small job in the mean time as I never want to step in a pharmacy ever again
Reply 13

could you explain what that role involves, and do you need experience?
Reply 14
Original post by benjaminwhu

Don't do a pharmacy degree if your plan is to work for a pharma company just do a science degree it's more favourable. If you do pure pharmacy high chance you'll end up stuck in a box for the rest of your life

Hey don’t worry so many people choose to switch careers. If you’re not happy maybe look into jobs which you could get into, there’s so many people with degrees in engineering or teaching who work with me. I’m also looking into changing careers from a corporate background to healthcare field as I think I would enjoy that more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending