The Student Room Group

Need death certificate as proof

This is more of a rant than anything else.

I've recently had a family member pass away. He's part of my extended family and I was very close with him, but I didn't really have anything to do with his parents or siblings. He was like a big brother to me.

Anyway, I have an exam coming up and I'm obviously not in a good mental state right now, I haven't been able to focus since I found out. I've just been sitting staring blankly at my notes. I contacted my lecturer and she was really kind about it and apologised for having to ask, but in order for me to get out of the exam, they need a copy of the death certificate within 72 hours of the exam, otherwise it goes down as a no-show.

How can they do this? For one, death certificates aren't always processed that quickly and two, it's hardly the ideal time for me to contact my aunt and say "before you bury your son, can you just email me a copy of his death certificate so I can send it to my lecturer please?"

I'm so frustrated. I'm going to have to just do the exam because there is no way I'm going to get the death certificate on time, but I'm probably going to fail anyway because I just can't think straight.

Inb4; well they need proof so that you can't just say someone died and miss your exam. I know they need proof, but it's just a crappy situation to be in when you're already grieving.
Original post by GoingToBurst

I've recently had a family member pass away. He's part of my extended family and I was very close with him, but I didn't really have anything to do with his parents or siblings. He was like a big brother to me.

Anyway, I have an exam coming up and I'm obviously not in a good mental state right now, I haven't been able to focus since I found out. I've just been sitting staring blankly at my notes. I contacted my lecturer and she was really kind about it and apologised for having to ask, but in order for me to get out of the exam, they need a copy of the death certificate within 72 hours of the exam, otherwise it goes down as a no-show.

How can they do this? For one, death certificates aren't always processed that quickly and two, it's hardly the ideal time for me to contact my aunt and say "before you bury your son, can you just email me a copy of his death certificate so I can send it to my lecturer please?"

I'm so frustrated. I'm going to have to just do the exam because there is no way I'm going to get the death certificate on time, but I'm probably going to fail anyway because I just can't think straight.

Inb4; well they need proof so that you can't just say someone died and miss your exam. I know they need proof, but it's just a crappy situation to be in when you're already grieving.

Can you speak to the extenuating circumstances people themselves and ask if you can have longer to get a death certificate, explaining that it wont be possible to get it in the time their asking it for.
How long until the exam?

Like others have said, explain your situation to student services and explain why you can't get it NOW. They should understand.

To be honest (and you have acknowledged this) the university aren't acting unreasonably though. And that's not to take away from it being a ****ty situation but just to say that I don't really see how they can act that differently.
Original post by claireestelle
Can you speak to the extenuating circumstances people themselves and ask if you can have longer to get a death certificate, explaining that it wont be possible to get it in the time their asking it for.

I've tried getting in touch but I'm not having much luck with getting a response :frown:.
Original post by Duncan2012
How long until the exam?

48 hours. Or just less actually, it's 3pm on Wednesday.
I've tried getting in touch but I'm not having much luck with getting a response :frown:.

48 hours. Or just less actually, it's 3pm on Wednesday.

Have you emailed or called? Can you not go and see them in person?
Original post by limetang
Like others have said, explain your situation to student services and explain why you can't get it NOW. They should understand.

To be honest (and you have acknowledged this) the university aren't acting unreasonably though. And that's not to take away from it being a ****ty situation but just to say that I don't really see how they can act that differently.

Yeah I totally get it, it's just a bit crappy that their deadline is 3 days. Hopefully I'll get a response soon and can get an extension on when I need to get the certificate in by.

I also don't really see how a death certificate is proof though, considering anyone can access any death certificate and the death certificate doesn't prove he's a relative of mine, but I suppose it's their only option. It's not like they can also request a full family tree signed by every member of the family.
Original post by Roving Fish
Have you emailed or called? Can you not go and see them in person?

Emailed and called (left a voicemail). They're open by appointment only during exams
Reply 8
Yeah I totally get it, it's just a bit crappy that their deadline is 3 days. Hopefully I'll get a response soon and can get an extension on when I need to get the certificate in by.

I'd phone or visit as it's so urgent - waiting for a reply to an email in this situation, isn't a great idea. You need to be a bit more proactive. I realise that you don't feel like it, but you need to keep moving forward.
Hmm. 72 hours from the exam = 3pm on Saturday. I have no idea if that's feasible but suspect it may not be. Under these circumstances I doubt any university would want to be seen as unreasonable. Your student union/welfare people might be able to help, if not with specific exam advice then certainly your general situation. Things will improve, good luck with everything :-)
Original post by Klix88
I'd phone or visit as it's so urgent - waiting for a reply to an email in this situation, isn't a great idea. You need to be a bit more proactive. I realise that you don't feel like it, but you need to keep moving forward.

I have phoned as well. There's only so proactive I can be without being a pain in the ass. If I don't get a response by 4pm I'll try to phone again.
You need to be a pain in the ass, it's the only way. It's that or risk failing your exam and it making the rest of your year harder :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn, I was expecting that they needed yours.

Gosh, that would be fairly amusing.
Original post by AdorableDrip
You need to be a pain in the ass, it's the only way. It's that or risk failing your exam and it making the rest of your year harder :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

They emailed back yesterday afternoon and have extended the deadline until mid-January, when the exam board meets to confirm final grades.

Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Damn, I was expecting that they needed yours.

Gosh, that would be fairly amusing.

Hahaha they probably would need my death certificate if it was me that died though!
Go to gro.gov.uk, you can order a death certificate and if you pay a bit extra, you can get priority service and it should be with you fairly quickly.
Reply 15
They emailed back yesterday afternoon and have extended the deadline until mid-January, when the exam board meets to confirm final grades.

To me, this would imply that they still expect you to sit the exam, but will treat your bereavement as Extenuating Circumstances and adjust your mark upwards, to take account of the impact. In your original post, you were seeking permission to not sit the exam at all.

Have you clarified exactly what is expected of you? And do you have that in writing?
Original post by Klix88
To me, this would imply that they still expect you to sit the exam, but will treat your bereavement as Extenuating Circumstances and adjust your mark upwards, to take account of the impact. In your original post, you were seeking permission to not sit the exam at all.

Have you clarified exactly what is expected of you? And do you have that in writing?

I have it all in writing, and have confirmation from student support and my lecturer.
They are giving me the option to sit the exam if I wish, or to postpone it until the resit diet. In both cases, they have allowed me until mid January to provide a death certificate. If I sit the exam, the death certificate will be used as extenuating circumstances. If I choose not to sit the exam then it will be used as proof that I have valid reason to miss the exam and sit it as a first attempt in summer. I have to confirm whether I'll be sitting the exam or not tomorrow.
Reply 17
I have it all in writing, and have confirmation from student support and my lecturer.
They are giving me the option to sit the exam if I wish, or to postpone it until the resit diet. In both cases, they have allowed me until mid January to provide a death certificate. If I sit the exam, the death certificate will be used as extenuating circumstances. If I choose not to sit the exam then it will be used as proof that I have valid reason to miss the exam and sit it as a first attempt in summer. I have to confirm whether I'll be sitting the exam or not tomorrow.

That's great news. They couldn't be more flexible and it's good to see. Best of luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending