The Student Room Group

Social Mobility Foundation 2016

Hi! Just wondering if anyone on here has applied to the Social Mobility Foundation programme? I'm going to apply for the Law residential, but no-one else in my year has applied for any of the courses at all and I'm really nervous now being the only one:s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

I am currently applying to it. I am going to apply for the medicine one. The questions are quite tricky to answer, I'm not sure if I wrote enough,
I applied for the aspiring professionals programme and chose medicine, the application is sooooo long though, I hope I get in
Original post by nihil_nimis
I applied for the aspiring professionals programme and chose medicine, the application is sooooo long though, I hope I get in

The questions are so long. Did you write up to the word limit?
Original post by DaVinciGirl
The questions are so long. Did you write up to the word limit?

for some of them I did , but most of them were way under the word limit
Original post by nihil_nimis
for some of them I did , but most of them were way under the word limit

Me too. The hardest for me is the last question. I'm still writing it!
Reply 7
Currently writing my application to the Banking and Finance one. Urgh, last three questions are very long..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Only just saw these - ahahahaha apologies😊 I know exactly what you mean about the questions, the last ones were so difficult to answer, especially since you had so many possibilities. I was up until about 1am before the deadline to try to decide who to write about for the dinner question!😖

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ebony_rose
Only just saw these - ahahahaha apologies😊 I know exactly what you mean about the questions, the last ones were so difficult to answer, especially since you had so many possibilities. I was up until about 1am before the deadline to try to decide who to write about for the dinner question!😖

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me too. I sent the application at 2am before the deadline. I hope that we both get in! :smile:
Reply 10
Aghhhh thank you!! Same goes😊 What did you write about for the essay questions??

For the biggest problem in society one I wrote about the growing socio-economic gap between the rich and poor, for the product of society one I mostly agreed because although you can change your identity to a certain extent your environment is still paramount to your evolution as a person (idk I feel like I rambled on that one because I wasn't sure what to put) and then for the dinner one I put Michael Mansfield, the famous human rights lawyer☺️

I really don't know if I answered them right, and I'm especially worried since I found the mark scheme for the applications online about five hours before the deadline, but was too tired to check it against my answers - fingers crossed though I guess!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aghhhh thank you!! Same goes😊 What did you write about for the essay questions??

For the biggest problem in society one I wrote about the growing socio-economic gap between the rich and poor, for the product of society one I mostly agreed because although you can change your identity to a certain extent your environment is still paramount to your evolution as a person (idk I feel like I rambled on that one because I wasn't sure what to put) and then for the dinner one I put Michael Mansfield, the famous human rights lawyer☺️

I really don't know if I answered them right, and I'm especially worried since I found the mark scheme for the applications online about five hours before the deadline, but was too tired to check it against my answers - fingers crossed though I guess!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the biggest problem I wrote about war and how it destroys lives, economy etc. For the product one I disagreed because there are plenty of people who grew up in a bad environment but ended up successful ie Oprah. For the dinner one I talked about my grandfather who was a doctor and how I would ask him about how operations were carried out before. The dinner one was really hard but I just stuck to my gut instinct.

I didn't know there was a mark scheme
Hey Guys!

I'm part of the 2014 cohort - I'm on the APP for...politics I think? (they sent out a questionnaire a while ago asking what we were interested in, so I may have been reassigned) and I went on the internship for Whitehall in London.

If any of you have any questions feel free to ask! Good Luck :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by tara8000
Hey Guys!

I'm part of the 2014 cohort - I'm on the APP for...politics I think? (they sent out a questionnaire a while ago asking what we were interested in, so I may have been reassigned) and I went on the internship for Whitehall in London.

If any of you have any questions feel free to ask! Good Luck :smile:

Ahhhh cool! I have quite a few questions if you don't mind ahahaha

Was it awkward since everyone was strangers?? I'm kind of nervous about that because I get anxious really easily around new people and places😣

Also was the internship worth it?? What I mean is like did they just get you to make the coffees or were you actually allowed to do things?😂

And basically I guess just was it fun, did you enjoy it?? I'm sure it was great but it would be good to hear about it through the eyes of another person if you know what I mean😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhhh cool! I have quite a few questions if you don't mind ahahaha

Was it awkward since everyone was strangers?? I'm kind of nervous about that because I get anxious really easily around new people and places😣

Also was the internship worth it?? What I mean is like did they just get you to make the coffees or were you actually allowed to do things?😂

And basically I guess just was it fun, did you enjoy it?? I'm sure it was great but it would be good to hear about it through the eyes of another person if you know what I mean😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha i don't mind!

ok so, im not a very social person...its not i get nervous... i just really hate talking, especially to strangers.
so i rocked up to this first workshop skills event on the APP programme...and omg they structured (that event) it SO WELL....icebreakers were on point so it was actually pretty easy to talk to everyone...and its nice because they're all in similar boats - people from a low socio-economic background who want to aim high.... I'm still friends with people from these workshop days!

yes. the internship is SO good. I mean... I wasn't doing much because it was a quiet time of year for my section of the department... but they know that you're coming and they prepare jobs and interviews and cases for you so it's still really enlightening! also, when you go on the internship they put you in a group of about 10 to travel and go round with and these 10 people are now like my best friends (though tbf, our group bonded the best). I still talk to my mentors in the department and on the programme and it's just so good :smile: and also, there's the added bonus of lots of free events in the evening, so even if you get there and don't like the actual work, youll have a fun evening!

it was so fun and i loved it and everytime i go to London i have a mini cry about how I miss it (it was my first time in London) and yeah.

unfortunately i packed a load of rubbish clothes because i was in a bit of a flip because a family event had occurred the day before i was to leave... but it was ok...people didn't judge clothing - so that's always nice to know :smile:
I have applied for the Law Residential Programme as well as the Aspiring Professionals Programme. I really hope I get into the Residential especially because it will be so useful! I hope we all get in :biggrin:
Has anyone got replies yet? I applied for med but I have no reply yet but my friend who is doing finance has got a reply? It is making me nervous..
Original post by saumya134
Has anyone got replies yet? I applied for med but I have no reply yet but my friend who is doing finance has got a reply? It is making me nervous..

My friend got a reply and she applied to the medicine. But she only got a reply for the APP. The email send that some people hasn't got their reply yet as its being delayed because of any incorrect information or if the reference hasn't been sent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Aww Yay dw I got a reply. I got into the medicine one eek :excited:
I applied to the banking and finance one at JP Morgan, praying I get in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest