The Student Room Group

Why is domestic abuse on the rise in the UK?

Police in England and Wales are on the verge of being "overwhelmed" by "staggering" increases in reports of domestic abuse, inspectors say.

Recorded cases rose 31% between 2013 and 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35093837

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates
Police in England and Wales are on the verge of being "overwhelmed" by "staggering" increases in reports of domestic abuse, inspectors say.

I think there's more people coming forward about abuse. Attitudes within the last 5 years alone have changed so much. I'd be surprised if the number of abusive relationships themselves are actually rising.
Reply 2
Original post by Zargabaath
I think there's more people coming forward about abuse. Attitudes within the last 5 years alone have changed so much. I'd be surprised if the number of abusive relationships themselves are actually rising.

Hm not sure that could lead to a spike of 31% within 2 years alone.
I think it's down to two reasons.. 1. People are more confident about coming forward these days as you see it on TV and other media more often.

2. This story in the media will make more people come forward, if people imagine so many others are in the same situation and are getting help they are more likely to do it too
Reply 4
Original post by Lambert87
I think it's down to two reasons.. 1. People are more confident about coming forward these days as you see it on TV and other media more often.

2. This story in the media will make more people come forward, if people imagine so many others are in the same situation and are getting help they are more likely to do it too

So you think domestic violence has always been this bad?
More people coming forward, more media coverage, more accurate surveying would be my guesses as contributing factors.
Looking forward to reading the essays below which shift the blame away from violent men and on to feminism, multiculturalism or "leftists".

I think it could lead to a spike, but you're right, probably not of 31%.
Has there been any drastic changes at what constitutes as abuse recently? Perhaps that's changed the number of people who are now committing the crime of abuse.
I can't really think of any other significant social changes that have taken place in the last two years that could be related to this :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Looking forward to reading the essays below which shift the blame away from violent men and on to feminism, multiculturalism or "leftists".

Are you suggesting that domestic abuse is exclusive to women? Looking forward to the essay you will be posting in reply to this question.
Reply 9
Original post by Zargabaath
I think it could lead to a spike, but you're right, probably not of 31%.
Has there been any drastic changes at what constitutes as abuse recently? Perhaps that's changed the number of people who are now committing the crime of abuse.
I can't really think of any other significant social changes that have taken place in the last two years that could be related to this :dontknow:

That's what i'm thinking. Jeez.

All i could probably think of is the rise of anxiety/stress people working longer hours maybe two jobs at the same time? Real pay is still down largely.
Because society has gone to **** in general and it's not acceptable to slap a stranger in the face so people are doing it to eachother behind closed doors. It's probably finances, it's probably their partner spending time with hook ups on Grindr when he'd always claimed to be straight, it's probably their child who's frustrated with their lack of prospects, their mental health problem, their envy that social media rubs in their face, their fear the media rams down their throat, the frustration of getting trolled by an invisible Internet head, life.

Hahaha PRSOM

Those damned lefties at it again
Original post by Aceadria
Are you suggesting that domestic abuse is exclusive to women? Looking forward to the essay you will be posting in reply to this question.

No men get beaten up by women or by other men in relationships.

Terrorism isn't exclusively carried out by Muslims, does this mean every time someone starts a thread about a Muslim terror attack they have to write an essay on non-Muslim terrorism....
Original post by Little Popcorns
Because society has gone to **** in general and it's not acceptable to slap a stranger in the face so people are doing it to eachother behind closed doors. It's probably finances, it's probably their partner spending time with hook ups on Grindr when he'd always claimed to be straight, it's probably their child who's frustrated with their lack of prospects, their mental health problem, their envy that social media rubs in their face, their fear the media rams down their throat, the frustration of getting trolled by an invisible Internet head, life.

Anxiety maybe. But i agree with you in general. A lot more pressure on people. Hence why at the same time we have a record increase in new car purchases on finance :tongue:
Gonna state something others haven't: more of the lower chavs.
No men get beaten up by women or by other men in relationships.

Terrorism isn't exclusively carried out by Muslims, does this mean every time someone starts a thread about a Muslim terror attack they have to write an essay on non-Muslim terrorism....

The thread is very clearly about domestic abuse as a whole and not only towards women and yet you alluded to the fact that men are the only ones to blame for domestic abuse. This should not be an issue of gender alone but of domestic abuse as a whole.
Reply 16
Original post by Little Popcorns

This. Society has gone to **** in general.

Because women are losing their sandwich making skills obviously

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Because women are losing their sandwich making skills obviously

Posted from TSR Mobile

Subway have been expanding rapidly in the UK..................

Damn feminism

I think it's a lot more likely than people becoming 31% more violent in two years? What do you think happened? Rick Sanchez modified all of our DNA?

Or the Muslims did it I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending