The Student Room Group

How do I improve my communication skills

Up until about 3-4 years ago I was able to make all my friends laugh, and was easily able to access and join into any conversation. However, I have now become very introverted and tend to shy away from conversation. I have been struggling with anxiety and depression (quite badly) at times in the last 3 or 4 years, which I feel has altered the way I interact with people, but I now feel I am going the right direction and getting myself into a better mental state. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to improve my communication and confidence. I miss being able to make people laugh :frown:
Aw I totally understand where you're coming from with the humour thing I was known for being funny before anxiety and depression became really bad now I'm too scared to even meet people never mind make them laugh. But I've been having CBT and if you explore these things in therapy you can slowly make steps to getting back to your old self. Also do things that remind you of yourself and your humour, watch your favourite comedies or funny YouTube videos etc. you'll get there :hugs:
Reply 2
Practice, practice and practice.

Practice conversing with your family and friends.Just talk about their day, plans for the week, how was their week, what they got up to, how's everything.Did they watch the sports game, watched any movies, how they found it, etc.

Talk to people at the bus stop, the shop staff, anyone, ask about their day, their plans anything.

Once you start talking, you will find about the other person so you can talk about their work, hobbies, etc.

Joining clubs that are fun and interesting with you will help.

Their are good books out there, two I would recommend are: How to talk to anyone and How to win friends and influence people.

Quick Reply

Latest