The Student Room Group

What do you think about fur?

Is it ok to wear fur?Would you say that fur and leather should be treated the same or leather is ok because the animal is killed for its meat while animals like foxes are killed specifically for fur.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It should be banned
Reply 2
Original post by lustawny
In other words, rob people of their civil liberties?

Better than cruely robbing animals of their own skin
Reply 3
Original post by RobML

Animals are killed for food anyway (with good reason), so what would be the point in not using their fur too? It's called practicality.
Reply 4
Animals are killed for food anyway (with good reason), so what would be the point in not using their fur too? It's called practicality.

The majority of animals used for fur are killed for nothing but their fur. Plus the fur industry isn't as regulated as the meat industry; there are a lot more cruel practices and methods involved
Reply 5
Original post by RobML
The majority of animals used for fur are killed for nothing but their fur. Plus the fur industry isn't as regulated as the meat industry; there are a lot more cruel practices and methods involved

Well, that's not what I'm about. I'm against the fur trade, but I don't see any reason as to why animal fur shouldn't be made readily available to those that want to wear it, on a purely ethical level. If animals have to be killed (which any sane person can see is the case), then I believe that they should be made to feel no pain whatsoever. I stand right behind freedom of choice and practicality; animals are already killed for their food value, so the most logical thing to do would be to make use of their fur as well, wouldn't you agree? People should be allowed to wear fur if they wish to, without being judged by others who choose not to. It all comes down to personal choice.

Also, I'm a big supporter of animal welfare and conservation, which means I'm totally against killing animals that are endangered FULL STOP.
Original post by RobML

They don't need it when they are dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think animals that are killed for food already, sure.

But to kill an animal simply for it's fur is morally wrong. In my mind anyway.

What's the point in killing it if you can just wear fake fur that looks no different?
bear™ says yes to fur

Original post by SemperLiber
I think animals that are killed for food already, sure.

But to kill an animal simply for it's fur is morally wrong. In my mind anyway.

What's the point in killing it if you can just wear fake fur that looks no different?

Because faux fur is inferior insulation. It also freezes whereas real fur does not. The last thing I want when it is -25C is an inferior product.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Because faux fur is inferior insulation. It also freezes whereas real fur does not. The last thing I want when it is -25C is an inferior product.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you're having to deal with -25C weather, sure if there's no alternative to wrapping yourself in furs like a neanderthal, then use furs that are responsibly sourced. I'm talking about fur as more of a fashion statement, which usually consists of exotic or uncommon animals.
Original post by RobML

Original post by DiddyDec
They don't need it when they are dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Diddy does raise a good point. I'm vegan so I obviously don't support fur wearing but if you are eating meat you can't be all holier than thou because you are being hypocritical. Why don't you extend the kindness a step further and go vegan?
When you're having to deal with -25C weather, sure if there's no alternative to wrapping yourself in furs like a neanderthal, then use furs that are responsibly sourced. I'm talking about fur as more of a fashion statement, which usually consists of exotic or uncommon animals.

You don't fully wrap yourself in them, they are used to supplement your outwear normally near the face and head where you lose the most heat.

Original post by Danny McCoyne
Diddy does raise a good point. I'm vegan so I obviously don't support fur wearing but if you are eating meat you can't be all holier than thou because you are being hypocritical. Why don't you extend the kindness a step further and go vegan?

Never thought we would agree on anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even then, you could still argue that you're more important than the exotic, uncommon animal whose fur you're wearing on your back, because you're more endangered than they are, as there's only one of you.

You can still love animals even if you consciously make the decision to wear real, genuine animal fur as fashionable clothing, but it's just a question of whether or not you love yourself more.
Even then, you could still argue that you're more important than the exotic, uncommon animal whose fur you're wearing on your back, because you're more endangered than they are, as there's only one of you.

You can still love animals even if you consciously make the decision to wear real, genuine animal fur as fashionable clothing, but it's just a question of whether or not you love yourself more.

This is true. Just look at how Humans love domesticated animals to the point of worship in some cultures yet are happy to scoff other animals in huge quanitties every year. Hypocrites every one of them.
Reply 15
The problem with fur breeding, is that the animals that are left after they have taken the fur, are thrown away - in other words, not used for food at least - the animals are purely killed for the purpose of the fur. In todays world we have other options, fur is only used for purposes as status, looks, ect., not because we need the fur to stay warm. And not to mention the horrible living conditions. The animals live in small cages, animals that are normally ment to live in nature and be able to run around, they are often abused and are in a lot of pain.

PS. if you don't support, fur, you shouldn't support eating meat either - the animals in the meat industry don't have any better living conditions than in the fur industry.
This is true. Just look at how Humans love domesticated animals to the point of worship in some cultures yet are happy to scoff other animals in huge quanitties every year. Hypocrites every one of them.

Also, I like to think of wearing an animal's fur as fashionable clothing as a celebratory tribute to that animal's life, instead of a symbol of human dominance over animals. I would've thought it a much better idea to show off the beauty of an animal and its fur by letting everyone see it on prominent display, rather than just let an animal die naturally without using its fur for this purpose so that nobody can see it, right?

People seem to view the conscious wearing of animal fur in such a negative light, and I really don't understand this.
Original post by Luneo
The problem with fur breeding, is that the animals that are left after they have taken the fur, are thrown away - in other words, not used for food at least - the animals are purely killed for the purpose of the fur. In todays world we have other options, fur is only used for purposes as status, looks, ect., not because we need the fur to stay warm. And not to mention the horrible living conditions. The animals live in small cages, animals that are normally ment to live in nature and be able to run around, they are often abused and are in a lot of pain.

PS. if you don't support, fur, you shouldn't support eating meat either - the animals in the meat industry don't have any better living conditions than in the fur industry.

I use fur to stay warm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, I like to think of wearing an animal's fur as fashionable clothing as a celebratory tribute to that animal's life, instead of a symbol of human dominance over animals. I would've thought it a much better idea to show off the beauty of an animal and its fur by letting everyone see it on prominent display, rather than just let an animal die naturally without using its fur for this purpose so that nobody can see it, right?

People seem to view the conscious wearing of animal fur in such a negative light, and I really don't understand this.

Nope you're filth. I wasn't condoning your groteqsque desire to robe yourself in the skin of another animal as a means of self-expression. You're scum.
Nope you're filth. I wasn't condoning your groteqsque desire to robe yourself in the skin of another animal as a means of self-expression. You're scum.

Well, that's your opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. I, unlike some people, support free speech and freedom of choice/expression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending