The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on veganism?

I just recently started trying vegan foods and I think I might become vegan, but I haven't tried vegan cheese yet and I really like 'real' cheese. Not sure why I felt like I needed to say that.....lol...But yeah, I just wanted to know what people thought about being vegan :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I think you'll find vegan cheese disappointing if you like 'real' cheese, but a plant-bsed diet is both good for the planet (climate change etc) and doesn't cause suffering to animals. There are plenty of good soy-based meat substitutes, and lots of great recipes that don't involve meat, fish, dairy or eggs. Just make sure you get enough protein and check out vitamins that you need to be careful of - I think B12 is one...PETA have some good resources for their one month vegan challenge. And Booja-booja ice-cream is hard to beat, and completely vegan.
Reply 2
I have no problem with it either way, if you want to go vegan, then go for it! You have nothing to lose!

Although maybe consult your doctor first? Just in case :h:
I have absolutely no problem with veganism whatsoever, and I have been researching it more for the past few months because I would really like to transition from vegetarian to vegan :smile:
I admire vegans. I'm vegetarian myself but haven't taken it all the way yet.
Vegan cheese is a vile abomination.

I respect vegans because they've made the sort of adjustments to their lives that I'm too lazy to do.
Also, inb4 "I love bacon"
Reply 7
I think veganism is super cool and takes a certain strength (?) I dont know if thats the word, maybe dedication, that I dont have because I love cheese waaaay too much and its can be quite hard to find vegan options wherever you go. Im happy sticking to my vegetarianism but if you want to try it then go for it! Whats the worse that could happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by natashajade_
I have absolutely no problem with veganism whatsoever, and I have been researching it more for the past few months because I would really like to transition from vegetarian to vegan :smile:

Me too!
Original post by Melli13
I think veganism is super cool and takes a certain strength (?) I dont know if thats the word, maybe dedication, that I dont have because I love cheese waaaay too much and its can be quite hard to find vegan options wherever you go. Im happy sticking to my vegetarianism but if you want to try it then go for it! Whats the worse that could happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is, being vegetarian is honestly a lot easier than being vegan especially if you still live at home and have lots of non-vegan friends who like to eat out :colonhash:
Although I disagree with some stances that vegans take (for example, I don't think that eggs or honey are at all wrong to eat), I am overall very supportive of the movement and agree with most of its ethics. I'm a vegetarian right now and am transitioning to remove animal milk from my diet as I disagree with the way that the dairy industry gets milk. I also don't buy eggs, I only eat them if they're the ones that my own chickens have laid as I know that they have a great life and our cockerals are treated fairly. At home I eat more vegan products such as vegan margerine, which further reduces my animal products intake.

I'm not sure I could ever be a real vegan though. Eggs are good for you and, unlike cows producing milk, chickens produce eggs all on their own, so outside of the egg industry that kills male chicks and is generally awful, I don't think it's wrong to eat eggs.
DGaF about it, just don't think I'm interested in discussing your dietary habits unless I'm cooking for you.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I admire vegans. I'm vegetarian myself but haven't taken it all the way yet.

I don't admire vegans who're vegans because they dislike the taste of meat or other meat products. There's nothing admirable about them. they just don't like meat.

I really admire vegans who like the taste of meat and would want to eat meat but they don't because they recognise it's unethical.

Original post by suirrel
Although I disagree with some stances that vegans take (for example, I don't think that eggs or honey are at all wrong to eat), I am overall very supportive of the movement and agree with most of its ethics. I'm a vegetarian right now and am transitioning to remove animal milk from my diet as I disagree with the way that the dairy industry gets milk. I also don't buy eggs, I only eat them if they're the ones that my own chickens have laid as I know that they have a great life and our cockerals are treated fairly. At home I eat more vegan products such as vegan margerine, which further reduces my animal products intake.I'm not sure I could ever be a real vegan though. Eggs are good for you and, unlike cows producing milk, chickens produce eggs all on their own, so outside of the egg industry that kills male chicks and is generally awful, I don't think it's wrong to eat eggs.

I think that some vegans would probably agree with you. Also, not everyone can keep hens. And btw "eggs are good for you"? dairy is really good for you too. So is chicken.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anderusen
I don't admire vegans who're vegans because they dislike the taste of meat or other meat products. There's nothing admirable about them. they just don't like meat.

I really admire vegans who like the taste of meat and would want to eat meat but they don't because they recognise it's unethical.

Huh. I haven't met any of the first kind of vegan. I didn't know they existed.
Original post by suirrel
Although I disagree with some stances that vegans take (for example, I don't think that eggs or honey are at all wrong to eat), I am overall very supportive of the movement and agree with most of its ethics. I'm a vegetarian right now and am transitioning to remove animal milk from my diet as I disagree with the way that the dairy industry gets milk. I also don't buy eggs, I only eat them if they're the ones that my own chickens have laid as I know that they have a great life and our cockerals are treated fairly. At home I eat more vegan products such as vegan margerine, which further reduces my animal products intake.

I'm not sure I could ever be a real vegan though. Eggs are good for you and, unlike cows producing milk, chickens produce eggs all on their own, so outside of the egg industry that kills male chicks and is generally awful, I don't think it's wrong to eat eggs.

Yeah, I don't really understand the logic for eschewing honey. I mean, I'm vegetarian, but I think I'd go so far as to eat insects in a pinch.
Reply 15
Hi guys, I've been almost-vegan for about 18 months now. I saw "almost vegan" because I eat eggs from my aunt's pet chickens, who roam about her field and will never be killed. I used to eat chocolate if it had nuts in so the rest of my family could not eat it, but I've stopped now because it made me feel ill and give it to my pals instead.

I was veggie from being about 6, so coming to university and learning about the end-of-the-line slaughter for dairy cows and chickens were what made me go vegan, as well as practices I learned about, such as the condition of veal calves or the mincing of unwanted male chicks. I know these are not country-wide practices, but they were enough to put me off wanting the products.

OP, I never liked cheese too much, like you, so never had any real desire to find an alternative. I would recommend VioLife, it is like cubes of cheesestrings!
:smile:
As long as people are happy, I'm not bothered at all! :h:
Vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian whatever I don't care :smile: I eat meat but only chicken tbh or other white meat like turkey
Vegans are cool, as long as they're not militant when it comes to converting people.
As long as they don't tell me what I should or shouldn't be eating, I'm cool with them.

Quick Reply

Latest