The Student Room Group

I was wondering what is Physics like at Uni?

so i was wondering what is physics like at uni?

things like the timetables? the spare time and the lectures and labs what are they like?

also whats the work like? is it difficult or manageable?

and anything else that is helpful
thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
These things are going to depend a lot on what university you go to. The timetable at Oxford is going to be quite different to Hull for example.
Reply 2
Original post by qno2
These things are going to depend a lot on what university you go to. The timetable at Oxford is going to be quite different to Hull for example.

i should re-phrase...what was physics like for you at uni? hah that sounds better lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
so i was wondering what is physics like at uni?

things like the timetables? the spare time and the lectures and labs what are they like?

also whats the work like? is it difficult or manageable?

and anything else that is helpful
thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had about 20-25 contact hours per week in my second year at Edinburgh (equivalent to 1st year at an English Uni).

The difficulty of the work honestly depends on your aptitude! By and large though I'd say the majority of people found it challenging but doable. There'll always be a few geniuses who find it too easy and will ask for harder problem sets haha (luckily none of the lecturers paid them any attention).

A crucial factor is how interested you are in the subject. My passion for physics dropped off massively after the 1st year when I realised I should have studied something different like engineering or some other combination of sciences. This makes things a lot more difficult. So be absolutely sure you want to study the subject :tongue:
Original post by JuliusDS92
I had about 20-25 contact hours per week in my second year at Edinburgh (equivalent to 1st year at an English Uni).

The difficulty of the work honestly depends on your aptitude! By and large though I'd say the majority of people found it challenging but doable. There'll always be a few geniuses who find it too easy and will ask for harder problem sets haha (luckily none of the lecturers paid them any attention).

A crucial factor is how interested you are in the subject. My passion for physics dropped off massively after the 1st year when I realised I should have studied something different like engineering or some other combination of sciences. This makes things a lot more difficult. So be absolutely sure you want to study the subject :tongue:

How did people who entered directly into second year generally get on? My offer is for second year but my teacher said that even the brightest of students find it tough - is that true?
Original post by iscribbletoomuch
How did people who entered directly into second year generally get on? My offer is for second year but my teacher said that even the brightest of students find it tough - is that true?

A lot of people did very well - if a student is good enough to get directly into second year then they're typically going to be quite high caliber. I think one or two failed and one or more dropped down to first year out of a cohort of about 30.

It's only the first semester which is different; during the second semester DE students take all the same classes as those who have already been at the university for a year.

I suspect it's only marginally tougher than 1st year physics at a good English University like Manchester, Bristol, UCL etc. I wouldn't worry about it. And, importantly, if you feel overwhelmed then you can drop down to 1st year after a few weeks, which will be unlikely to strain you much at all :tongue:
Original post by JuliusDS92
A lot of people did very well - if a student is good enough to get directly into second year then they're typically going to be quite high caliber. I think one or two failed and one or more dropped down to first year out of a cohort of about 30.

It's only the first semester which is different; during the second semester DE students take all the same classes as those who have already been at the university for a year.

I suspect it's only marginally tougher than 1st year physics at a good English University like Manchester, Bristol, UCL etc. I wouldn't worry about it. And, importantly, if you feel overwhelmed then you can drop down to 1st year after a few weeks, which will be unlikely to strain you much at all :tongue:

That's good to know! My teacher was making it sound impossible aha

I wasn't aware that you could drop back to first year if necessary, which is certainly something that I was concerned about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending