The Student Room Group

Don’t know what to do

I’m going to Manchester uni next year (currently on gap year) to do comp sci but I’m considering changing to physics as I think I’ll find it more interesting. i don’t know if I should maybe apply for other unis for physics then (I got A*A*A at a-level). There’s a month and a half until the deadline so what would you do?
depends if you're absolutely adamant on going to Manchester! It also depends if Manchester has accepted your transfer since comp sci and physics are different departments which means they may have to look at your application again so definitely check on that. But if you're still considering it, I'd give it a shot and try some other unis - you might regret if you don't but you'll probably have to redo your ps and everything
Reply 2
You might also want to consider what you plan to do with these two degrees career wise in the future
Original post by Pj75695
I’m going to Manchester uni next year (currently on gap year) to do comp sci but I’m considering changing to physics as I think I’ll find it more interesting. i don’t know if I should maybe apply for other unis for physics then (I got A*A*A at a-level). There’s a month and a half until the deadline so what would you do?

Hiya,

First of all, congrats on receiving amazing A-Level grades!

It's great you're interested in both things but I understand it really doesn't help when you're trying to make decisions like these. I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni, so can give a brief rundown of what my degree looks like and give some suggestions that may help you make a decision.

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend looking at both of the course outlines online, just seeing if what you are going to be studying takes your interest and being able to compare the two for each year in the course.

It may seem a bit early for you to think about, but your future career is also a big thing to consider. Do you find yourself more interested in comp sci-based careers or physics-based careers?

Just as an aside, some physics courses also involve quite a bit of coding. Personally, at Lancaster, we have a 10 week Python module in 2nd year and currently in my 3rd year group project, we are going to be doing quite a bit of coding again, which is all transferrable to a future comp sci career. However, if you would prefer a career in comp sci, it is easier to find a job if you have already done a degree surrounding the subject, but not impossible to switch interests after completing your degree: employers take on people from wide subject backgrounds most of the time, as long as the degree are somewhat related to the job! (STEM subjects are great for this, especially if you cover related content within your degree.)

Talk to others you may know who do either degree and try to gauge how they feel about it. Everyone is different and find different aspects of their degree engaging but getting a general consensus may be something worth trying if you're wondering if course content is going to keep you interested throughout your degree.

I hope all this helps and if you have any more queries, feel free to ask!
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending