The Student Room Group

Maximum volume question?!

So 50cm3 of CO2 react with 25cm3 of O2 but oxygen cant react with all the CO2, so the volume produced must be 25cm3?! :s-smilie:

So why is the answer C 50cm3
1 mole of any gas occupies 24 dm3 at s.t.p. Molar ratio of CO and CO2 is the same. Therefore the volume of CO used and CO2 produced is the same.
Original post by Adorable98
So 50cm3 of CO2 react with 25cm3 of O2 but oxygen cant react with all the CO2, so the volume produced must be 25cm3?! :s-smilie:

So why is the answer C 50cm3

Look at what you have written and RTQ
All gases regardless of the size of the molecule take up the same space at the same conditions. In the reaction, 2 moles worth of anything takes up 50cm^3
Original post by richpanda
All gases regardless of the size of the molecule take up the same space at the same conditions. In the reaction, 2 moles worth of anything takes up 50cm^3

That is not correct. I know what you are trying to say but I would not give you marks in an exam for writing that. You must be very careful with your wording.

For gases 2 moles worth of any gas takes up 48,000 cm3 under the standard conditions used.

One of the many issues that a lot of science students have is not writing technically correct answers. Using words like ions, molecules, intermolecular etc interchangeably in describing chemical bonding is a perennial example.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeachChemistry
That is not correct. I know what you are trying to say but I would not give you marks in an exam for writing that. you must be very careful with your wording.

For gases 2 moles worth of any gas takes up 48,000 cm3 under the standard conditions used.

Okay well 2 moles worth relative in the molar ratio.
Original post by richpanda
Okay well 2 moles worth relative in the molar ratio.

How about:

The mole ratio of CO to CO2 in the balanced equation is 1:1. Equal volumes of gases at stp contain the same number of moles. Therefore, 50 cm3 of CO produces 50 cm3 of CO2.

Quick Reply

Latest