The Student Room Group

Linear Algebra

Hi, just to ask for a bit of help here, not too sure what to do...

Vector space in R3, {(x,y,z) | x,y,z are in R}, with set S = {(x,y,z) in R3 | x + y - z = 0} being a vector space over R.

Consider v = (-1,0,-1) and w = (-1,1,0)

Prove that every vector s in S can be written as a linear combination of v and w and hence that v and w form a basis for S.

I have no real clue how to go about this, anything i've tried doesn't work so any help would be really appreciated! Thanks
Original post by Blue7195

Vector space in R3, {(x,y,z) | x,y,z are in R}, with set S = {(x,y,z) in R3 | x + y - z = 0} being a vector space over R.

Prove that every vector s in S can be written as a linear combination of v and w and hence that v and w form a basis for S.

I have no real clue how to go about this, anything i've tried doesn't work so any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

One way to do this is:

a) show that SR3S \ne \mathbb{R}^3 and so make a statement about an upper bound for dim S
b) show that v,wSv,w \in S and that they are linearly independent and so make a statement about a lower bound for dim S

More concretely, being in S entails that the vector has the form (x, y, x+y) since z=x+y. Can you find a combination of v and w such that for any given x and y, you get the vector (x, y, x+y)? If so, every vector in S can be written as a linear combination of v and w.

Then you need to prove linear independence of v and w to prove they form a basis rather than just a spanning set.
Reply 3

another way to go about it is note that for s S, s=(x,y,x+y) = x(1,0,1) +y(0,1,1)

So s Sp({(1,0,1), (0,1,1)})

Can you apply the exchange lemma here?

Edit: Firegardens method is pretty much the same
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Gome44
another way to go about it is note that for s S, s=(x,y,x+y) = x(1,0,1) +y(0,1,1)

So s Sp({(1,0,1), (0,1,1)})

Can you apply the exchange lemma here?

Edit: Firegardens method is pretty much the same

Original post by FireGarden
More concretely, being in S entails that the vector has the form (x, y, x+y) since z=x+y. Can you find a combination of v and w such that for any given x and y, you get the vector (x, y, x+y)? If so, every vector in S can be written as a linear combination of v and w.

Then you need to prove linear independence of v and w to prove they form a basis rather than just a spanning set.

Thank you all very much but i've been sitting here for ages trying to find a combination and can't work one out, is there a combination? This subject gives me headaches haha
Reply 5
Thank you all very much but i've been sitting here for ages trying to find a combination and can't work one out, is there a combination? This subject gives me headaches haha

v= -1(1,0,1)
I'm sure you can work out what w should be (after doing the first exchange)
Reply 6

Actually thinking about it, what do you mean by combination?

If you find LA hard (I did as well), I would recommend getting a couple of textbooks out of the library, I'll give you a list of ones I found useful in a bit.

Edit:
C. W. Curtis, Linear Algebra An Introductory Approach (Springer, London, 4th edition, reprinted 1994).
R. B. J. T. Allenby, Linear Algebra (Arnold, London, 1995).D. A. Towers,
A Guide to Linear Algebra (Macmillan, Basingstoke, 1988).

There is a more advanced book by Kaye and Wilson which is useful when you are comfortable with the material
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Gome44
v= -1(1,0,1)
I'm sure you can work out what w should be (after doing the first exchange)

I feel like a massive idiot right now haha, i've been trying to work this out like

c1v + c2v = (x,y,x+y)

but any combination i get won't work out, i thought it was v=-1(1,0,1) but I couldn't work out a term for c2

(I've never heard of the exchange lemma either)
Reply 8
Original post by Gome44
Actually thinking about it, what do you mean by combination?

If you find LA hard (I did as well), I would recommend getting a couple of textbooks out of the library, I'll give you a list of ones I found useful in a bit.

It's just this particular section, the class I'm doing is on Linear Algebra by Serge Lang, exam this week lol, i'm just completely lost here
Reply 9
I feel like a massive idiot right now haha, i've been trying to work this out like

c1v + c2v = (x,y,x+y)

but any combination i get won't work out, i thought it was v=-1(1,0,1) but I couldn't work out a term for c2

(I've never heard of the exchange lemma either)

https://www0.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/coursematerial/2015/2631/55/LAnotes-14.pdf

Page 25. But I wouldn't worry about learning it if you don't know it, I don't know what you do in your LA class so don't know what theorems you should be applying to this question

Good luck for your exam! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Gome44
https://www0.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/coursematerial/2015/2631/55/LAnotes-14.pdf

Page 25. But I wouldn't worry about learning it if you don't know it, I don't know what you do in your LA class so don't know what theorems you should be applying to this question

Good luck for your exam! :smile:

Thankyou very much I'll try work it out from this! Was only worth a few marks so thought it was something really simply I was missing
Original post by Gome44

I would recommend Gilbert Strang. His books are fantastic and he is a great lecturer: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/video-lectures/

Quick Reply

Latest