The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Whats it like at Hull University?

Scroll to see replies

The University really isn't bad (infact its fairly decent) and as stated some its located in the nice part of Hull. Most of the accomodation is also in the nicer suburbs of Hull. Hull itself really is one of the most depressing places I've ever been to. A true turd of a city rivaled by the likes of Blackpool and Bradford where im from.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Neurosci
. A true turd of a city rivaled by the likes of Blackpool and Bradford where im from.

I refuse to believe anywhere can be compared with Bradford! I rented an apartment there for a week with some mates and felt like I was about to be mugged every time I walked to the train station...
The University really isn't bad (infact its fairly decent) and as stated some its located in the nice part of Hull. Most of the accomodation is also in the nicer suburbs of Hull. Hull itself really is one of the most depressing places I've ever been to. A true turd of a city rivaled by the likes of Blackpool and Bradford where im from.

There are much worse places than Hull.
Original post by Haydo
I refuse to believe anywhere can be compared with Bradford! I rented an apartment there for a week with some mates and felt like I was about to be mugged every time I walked to the train station...

Hahaha im miles from the city centre and its actually pretty nice where I am but yeah the city centre and surrounding suburbs are truly a site to behold. The standard of living is prob on par with a 1930's Mumbai.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
There are much worse places than Hull.

In England? Not in my opinion, it would be on my list of worst 10 for sure. Ofcourse some citys have small areas worse but Hull is a sea of turd.
In England? Not in my opinion, it would be on my list of worst 10 for sure. Ofcourse some citys have small areas worse but Hull is a sea of turd.

Yep, in England. You need to visit some more places :wink:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Yep, in England. You need to visit some more places :wink:

Where would you say is worse?
Reply 27
Hahaha im miles from the city centre and its actually pretty nice where I am but yeah the city centre and surrounding suburbs are truly a site to behold. The standard of living is prob on par with a 1930's Mumbai.

One guy stopped me demanding I gave him some batteries for his flashlight... Who carries around batteries at 9pm, or at any time haha...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Hahaha im miles from the city centre

What area are you from btw? I'm currently at work in Morley, not too far away :biggrin:
Original post by Haydo
What area are you from btw? I'm currently at work in Morley, not too far away :biggrin:

A place called Saltaire, you might know it its fairly famous for being a world heritige site?
I'm off to look around Hull on Friday to see what it's like. It's not my first choice out of my offers but I still want to go and have a look around and see what it's like. I'm in Leeds and will be living at home while I'm at uni so how the area is doesn't really bother me, I doubt I'd spend much time there anyway. However, I have some really nice memories of Hull as a kid going out on my uncles boat in the marina!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Haydo

Literally just got a taxi home from Morley Morrisons!
Reply 32
Yeah I was there a few weeks ago on an adult protection course at the NHS trust building. If someone were to visit Bradford, Saltaire is where I'd recommend haha.
Reply 33
Original post by MMcG2015
I'm off to look around Hull on Friday to see what it's like. It's not my first choice out of my offers but I still want to go and have a look around and see what it's like. I'm in Leeds and will be living at home while I'm at uni so how the area is doesn't really bother me, I doubt I'd spend much time there anyway.

I don't like the sound of commuting to Hull from Leeds everyday :\

Original post by MMcG2015
Literally just got a taxi home from Morley Morrisons!

It's a small world :biggrin:
Original post by Haydo

I know, it's like an hour on the train. I'm a bit older (25) so I do an Access course in Horsforth, a girl in my group lives in Hull and travels to Horsforth every day. So it can be done, just a pain... that's if I go there anyway.
Reply 35
[QUOTE="MMcG2015;62444103"]
Original post by Haydo

I know, it's like an hour on the train. I'm a bit older (25) so I do an Access course in Horsforth, a girl in my group lives in Hull and travels to Horsforth every day. So it can be done, just a pain... that's if I go there anyway.

You can always move in next year if if it's too much effort. What's your first choice?
Reply 36
Where would you say is worse?

Grimsby is one, Birmingham, Bradford...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Grimsby is one, Birmingham, Bradford...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha agreed on Grimsby, Birmingham is drab and dull but not a true turd like hull, agreed on Bradford.
Reply 38
Haha agreed on Grimsby, Birmingham is drab and dull but not a true turd like hull, agreed on Bradford.

Hull really isn't that bad...

Croydon is a dump
Hey :smile:

I’m a business and marketing student in Glasgow, and waswondering if I could just ask a quick question for my dissertation:

When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors aremost important in your decision?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest