The Student Room Group

I'm making A2 biology revision videos

Not sure if this is the right place to post it but I think it could be useful to some people here.

I've started making revision videos for A2 biology (AQA), starting with Populations and Ecosystems. I'm hoping to cover all of units 4 and 5.

I'd appreciate some feedback on how to improve for future videos, and I'm happy to answer any questions if there's anything you don't understand.

Investigating Populations Part 1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JordanL_
Not sure if this is the right place to post it but I think it could be useful to some people here.

I've started making revision videos for A2 biology (AQA), starting with Populations and Ecosystems. I'm hoping to cover all of units 4 and 5.

I'd appreciate some feedback on how to improve for future videos, and I'm happy to answer any questions if there's anything you don't understand.

Yay, this is a fab idea. :smile:

- Well, I'd personally prefer if you spoke a bit faster (if possible) as otherwise I feel the need to skip through the video. This would also make the clips shorter which is preferable.
- Could you possibly change the background you're writing on to white? It'd be much better to watch. Idk, I just feel like the colour black isn't a great choice for revision videos bc it makes my eyes tired whereas white would be bright and more engaging.

Otherwise good luck + I hope it all goes well. :h:
Original post by Anon_98
Yay, this is a fab idea. :smile:

- Well, I'd personally prefer if you spoke a bit faster (if possible) as otherwise I feel the need to skip through the video. This would also make the clips shorter which is preferable.
- Could you possibly change the background you're writing on to white? It'd be much better to watch. Idk, I just feel like the colour black isn't a great choice for revision videos bc it makes my eyes tired whereas white would be bright and more engaging.

Otherwise good luck + I hope it all goes well. :h:

Thanks!

It definitely needs to be much faster. I'm tired today and I'm not used to speaking and writing at the same time which is why it's so slow. I'll work on that for the next video and probably remake this one.

I'll also think about changing the colours. I went with black because that's what Khan Academy uses and I think it looks nice, but you're right that it could be easier to watch on a white background.
Reply 3
You sound like a teacher :tongue:

I agree with Anon a white background would be great! I'm not in A2 yet but by then maybe all the videos would be complete :wink:

Best of luck x
It's been a while, but I've just finished a video on Investigating Populations. It's part 1, covering sampling, abundance, quadrats and transects.
Reply 5

Is it possible if you could make a video going over exam questions for Unit 4? :tongue:
Reply 6
Don't have time to watch rn but I will definitely be checking your videos out. Thank you for doing this!
Original post by kkboyk
Is it possible if you could make a video going over exam questions for Unit 4? :tongue:

Could do, are there any particular questions you want me to go over?
Reply 8
Could do, are there any particular questions you want me to go over?

Please could you do a video on tackling data questions in general :tongue:
Reply 9
Eyy this is a really good idea. Very helpful and tailored to A2. I really like the depth you take on the topics and your videos are ones I can really understand; a lot of videos lack other points or are too scientific or too thought-provoking. Definitely something I will keep a tab on.

People here have asked for a white background. Personally I think it's fine to use the black background (were you inspired by Khan Academy perchance?)

Criticisms (I hope I don't seem offensive):
I wouldn't say you talk slow per se, it's just that the way you present your videos can make it seem like you're droning. You know how like Sal in Khan Academy has that quite prominent and engaging voice? He stutters a bit and the videos are made on the spot but that's compensated for the direction of the video and the content. You talk the relevant points and it's clear what you're saying most of the time, but there are moments I zone out or just skip ahead. I've watched both videos at either 1.5x or 2x speed.

I would say work on your handwriting! But that's just me... I mean, for something like definitions, which is less diagrammatic than if you were to teach the cross bridge cycle for instance, people are gonna rely on your words more than your voice because they just want something to read that is enforced with you explaining it or going into more depth. Your other video is much much better because the info has been typed which I think is visually clearer and understandable.

The length of the video might be detrimental. Again, some people might like long videos and people do learn better from longer videos. But I think to cater to many students, you might wanna break up the topics into smaller videos. Or instead, put like a list of the main points you're going to cover in the description or in the video and then put times of where they occur so that they can skip to the relevant bit they want to understand. Eh, not such a great suggestion but perhaps it gets my point across.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending