The Student Room Group

Any advice/tips for media studies?

I'm currently yr9 and going into yr10, and picked media studies for one of my options? is it okay? anything to be aware of?
Reply 1
Original post by starryeyedloser
I'm currently yr9 and going into yr10, and picked media studies for one of my options? is it okay? anything to be aware of?

Media Studies is a great subject if you are a creative individual and someone who loves writing essays. You study the history of media from radio, newspapers, magazines and TV while also looking at modern products such as music videos and video games and how the internet has influenced media.

Your final grade is from two written exams and a coursework element where you will create a cross-media product such as a magazine, short film or music video.

Things to be aware of:

Depending on your exam board it may be hard to find revision resources online since there are multiple set products which change every year or two.

If you aren't the best at essay subjects such as English Language or English Literature, you may also struggle with Media Studies since you would also need to analyze quotes, scenes or representation from media alongside theories which you will learn.

Overall it is a fun subject and is not too hard to get a good grade. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
(Original post by Aceful)Media Studies is a great subject if you are a creative individual and someone who loves writing essays. You study the history of media from radio, newspapers, magazines and TV while also looking at modern products such as music videos and video games and how the internet has influenced media.

Your final grade is from two written exams and a coursework element where you will create a cross-media product such as a magazine, short film or music video.

Things to be aware of:

Depending on your exam board it may be hard to find revision resources online since there are multiple set products which change every year or two.

If you aren't the best at essay subjects such as English Language or English Literature, you may also struggle with Media Studies since you would also need to analyze quotes, scenes or representation from media alongside theories which you will learn.

Original post by Aceful
Media Studies is a great subject if you are a creative individual and someone who loves writing essays. You study the history of media from radio, newspapers, magazines and TV while also looking at modern products such as music videos and video games and how the internet has influenced media.

Things to be aware of:

thank you so much!! i consider myself great at english, so this will be a breeze! I'm fascinated with media, so that's why I chose it :smile: thank you for the advice!!
Reply 3
(Original post by Aceful)Media Studies is a great subject if you are a creative individual and someone who loves writing essays. You study the history of media from radio, newspapers, magazines and TV while also looking at modern products such as music videos and video games and how the internet has influenced media.

Things to be aware of:

thank you so much!! i consider myself great at english, so this will be a breeze! I'm fascinated with media, so that's why I chose it :smile: thank you for the advice!!

No problem, good luck!

Do you know what exam board your school is doing? If so you should take a look at a specification and some past papers to get a feel for the content you will be studying if you want a headstart for year 10.
Original post by Aceful
No problem, good luck!

Do you know what exam board your school is doing? If so you should take a look at a specification and some past papers to get a feel for the content you will be studying if you want a headstart for year 10.

I actually have no clue, however I will try to search for media past papers and make use of the time I have until yr10 and to get ahead :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Aceful

Things to be aware of:

Hello there,
hope you’re well,
I took media studies for the first time in AS level AQA level do you have any notes for it or any resources which could be beneficial also do u have to give exams for media in A2 or in AS ?
Reply 6

Things to be aware of:

(Original post by Aceful)

Things to be aware of:

Hello there,
hope you’re well,
I took media studies for the first time in AS level AQA level do you have any notes for it or any resources which could be beneficial also do u have to give exams for media in A2 or in AS ?
Reply 7
Original post by Maoez
(Original post by Aceful)

Things to be aware of:

Hello there,
hope you’re well,

Hey there,

I did not do AS Level so I do not know much about it. I just did the 2 year A-Level course and my exam board was Eduqas. (I attended a sixth form college in England)

For revision I recommend looking at Mrs Fisher on YouTube, just search 'mrs fisher media studies' in the search bar and you will come across her channel. She has a lot of revision resources for multiple exam boards.

In regards to the question about exams, it is best to ask your teacher as I am not sure how it is structured.

Hope this helps,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending