The Student Room Group

Do I have a shot at Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Konanabanana
lol its how life works, the more people that apply to Cambridge and oxford the better for them.

That's a pretty inadequate source. Please don't spread unsubstantiated rumours. :h:
Original post by jneill
How is it better to have more and more people applying? How much time and expense do you think Oxbridge already puts into the admissions procees (answer, a lot). It's not in their interests to attract more people that are likely to be unsuccessful applicants. They only want to attract those who have a reasonable chance.

And that's why they are making increasing efforts to be transparent about their processes and also the expectations they have from their applicants.

I can't speak for Oxford quite so much (although @BrasenoseAdm is extremely visible, helpful and honest in their discussions with applicants from what I've seen). But certainly @Christ's Admissions and @Peterhouse Admissions are excellent in the advice they give to students interested in Cambridge.

Hi, sorry, I'm hoping to apply for Chemistry (which would be Natural Sciences at Cambridge).

Predicted grades are A* in biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics and the B is for FM.
Original post by frivolousfretter
Hi, sorry, I'm hoping to apply for Chemistry (which would be Natural Sciences at Cambridge).

Predicted grades are A* in biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics and the B is for FM.

Pretty sure four A*s in the first four subjects would be impressive enough on their own; you should seriously consider whether it's worth keeping further mathematics unless you're reasonably confident that you can exceed the prediction and that it won't drag your other grades down (four A*s > three A*s, one A, and one B).

Definitely go for Cambridge over Oxford. Chemistry is one of the few subjects at Oxford that doesn't have an admissions test so you couldn't make up for the GCSEs with that as you would be able to in other subjects.
Reply 23
Original post by Hydeman
Pretty sure four A*s in the first four subjects would be impressive enough on their own; you should seriously consider whether it's worth keeping further mathematics unless you're reasonably confident that you can exceed the prediction and that it won't drag your other grades down (four A*s > three A*s, one A, and one B).

Definitely go for Cambridge over Oxford. Chemistry is one of the few subjects at Oxford that doesn't have an admissions test so you couldn't make up for the GCSEs with that as you would be able to in other subjects.

^this. And if Cambridge does offer they might even specify an A in FM, which they can't do if its already been dropped....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frivolousfretter

If you're that bright, you shouldn't have any problem working out who on this thread is giving you the best advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending