The Student Room Group

Does Oxford care about GCSEs if you wanna do law there?

Hi. Im în y11 right now and I’m wondering if you can get into Oxford to study law if you get 7s and 8s at GCSE but A*AA at a level which I think is what I’ll likely get.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi. Im în y11 right now and I’m wondering if you can get into Oxford to study law if you get 7s and 8s at GCSE but A*AA at a level which I think is what I’ll likely get.
yeah of course! gcses only play a part in your application, they do look at them but a-levels and super curriculars will be more important :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks. So would you say that with:
7s and 8s at GCSE
A* A A for a level
Around 30 for LNAT
And a strong personal statement

With these things, do you think one might have a solid chance to get into Oxford?
7s and 8s at GCSE
A* A A for a level
Around 30 for LNAT

With these things, do you think one might have a solid chance to get into Oxford?
No, Oxford law is very competitive - aim for 8s and 9s.
Original post by Muttley79
7s and 8s at GCSE
A* A A for a level
Around 30 for LNAT

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate the feedback
Original post by XxPhantom

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate the feedbackI got an offer from Cambridge for history and french with a mix of 7, 8 and 9s definitely possible !
Reply 6
Original post by average_human
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate the feedback
I got an offer from Cambridge for history and french with a mix of 7, 8 and 9s definitely possible !oh right... so would you say that 7s and 8s would be worth a shot at oxford or not really?
my other unis id like to go to are: UCL, KCL, LSE, Nottingham and Exeter but I was considering perhaps putting down oxford just to see... do you suggest i do so or stick with these 5?
I got an offer from Cambridge for history and french with a mix of 7, 8 and 9s definitely possible !
oh right... so would you say that 7s and 8s would be worth a shot at oxford or not really?
my other unis id like to go to are: UCL, KCL, LSE, Nottingham and Exeter but I was considering perhaps putting down oxford just to see... do you suggest i do so or stick with these 5?Omg I would say if you want to go to Oxford you should always try, you never know!! We won't talk about results day (spoiler alert i don't go to Cambridge now) but I'm so glad I applied

Even if you don't get an offer, it's such a valuable experience in terms of interview skills, essay writing, making new friends etc.

Also in year 12 keep an eye out for a scheme called OxNet, I did that and it was amazing :smile:
Original post by average_human
oh right... so would you say that 7s and 8s would be worth a shot at oxford or not really?
my other unis id like to go to are: UCL, KCL, LSE, Nottingham and Exeter but I was considering perhaps putting down oxford just to see... do you suggest i do so or stick with these 5?
Omg I would say if you want to go to Oxford you should always try, you never know!! We won't talk about results day (spoiler alert i don't go to Cambridge now) but I'm so glad I applied

Even if you don't get an offer, it's such a valuable experience in terms of interview skills, essay writing, making new friends etc.

Also in year 12 keep an eye out for a scheme called OxNet, I did that and it was amazing :smile:

Thanks for telling me about oxnet and for the advice 🙂
Ideally there’s a whole lotta things you should be good at… but with law, as long as your lnat score is really high you should be getting an interview

After interview they your personal statement and other factors start to matter more than pre interview so gotta make sure everything’s on track

(This one person I know had the perfect grades and a high lnat score but got rejected post interview cuz of ps)

And a ps being good implies that you should have super curricular going on

Point being gcse grades matter when selecting from a group of applicants who are all very similar but being part of that group requires other factors asw

I guess just Play your cards
Original post by Anonymous #2
Ideally there’s a whole lotta things you should be good at… but with law, as long as your lnat score is really high you should be getting an interview

After interview they your personal statement and other factors start to matter more than pre interview so gotta make sure everything’s on track

(This one person I know had the perfect grades and a high lnat score but got rejected post interview cuz of ps)

And a ps being good implies that you should have super curricular going on

Point being gcse grades matter when selecting from a group of applicants who are all very similar but being part of that group requires other factors asw

I guess just Play your cards

Thank you so much for your feedback. The other unis I want to apply to are: UCL, LSE, KCL, Nottingham and Exeter…
The 3 London ones I’m defo going to apply for, UCL being the dream and Exeter and Nottingham are the other 2 which I can put down as you can apply to 5 unis…
Would you say to apply to Oxford or just keep these ones I have in mind. I don’t really care wow much about going to Oxford or not, just that I thought it would be cool if I manage to get and I’d be proud of myself more so than getting into Exeter or Nottingham. But I like these 2 unis as well so idrk what to do… do you have any advice?

Thank you so much for your feedback. The other unis I want to apply to are: UCL, LSE, KCL, Nottingham and Exeter…
The 3 London ones I’m defo going to apply for, UCL being the dream and Exeter and Nottingham are the other 2 which I can put down as you can apply to 5 unis…
Would you say to apply to Oxford or just keep these ones I have in mind. I don’t really care wow much about going to Oxford or not, just that I thought it would be cool if I manage to get and I’d be proud of myself more so than getting into Exeter or Nottingham. But I like these 2 unis as well so idrk what to do… do you have any advice?

I’d recommend talk to a few people at Oxford (thru LinkedIn) watch some videos on the uni and the course they offer and then make your final decision. If you really think you wanna go there then apply, don’t just apply cuz it’s “a flex”
Also I’ve heard that Cambridge law is better so do take a look at that asw.

As for your uni choices, I’m not entirely sure but a friend of mine applied and what he did was that he applied to 3 London unis, 1 good uni which does not require lnat score (Warwick) and one backup which also does not require lnat score (Southampton) so incase stuff goes south that should help.

If you take Oxford then I’d recommend on reducing the London unis to 2 unless you’re confident with your application and lnat esp, in that case you can remove either of ur non lnat unis
Original post by morphmask

I’d recommend talk to a few people at Oxford (thru LinkedIn) watch some videos on the uni and the course they offer and then make your final decision. If you really think you wanna go there then apply, don’t just apply cuz it’s “a flex”

As for your uni choices, I’m not entirely sure but a friend of mine applied and what he did was that he applied to 3 London unis, 1 good uni which does not require lnat score (Warwick) and one backup which also does not require lnat score (Southampton) so incase stuff goes south that should help.

If you take Oxford then I’d recommend on reducing the London unis to 2 unless you’re confident with your application and lnat esp, in that case you can remove either of ur non lnat unis

The other 2 options are
1. Apply to Scotland avg unis thru common app and don’t have any backup unis in your ucas
2. Be salty and apply all good ones thru ucas and if you don’t get in, take a gap year and reapply

Oh right thank you so much for the advice

The other 2 options are
1. Apply to Scotland avg unis thru common app and don’t have any backup unis in your ucas
2. Be salty and apply all good ones thru ucas and if you don’t get in, take a gap year and reapply

Could I ask how the process of applying via ucas works?

Could I ask how the process of applying via ucas works?

here’s the deal yeah, until now it was quite simple: connect it to your school via buzzword and the school will fill in your predicted and LoR. All you have to do is write a personal statement (ensure multiple people review it who are alr in the same course at a good uni- all other feedback is bs)then fill in your personal details like name birth date etc and you’re set

If I’m not mistaken, from this year onwards they’re gonna replace personal statement with a form that has multiple questions. That’s something relatively new to ucas. But don’t worry too much cuz the expected approach for UK unis is still slightly more academic than the US or elsewhere

here’s the deal yeah, until now it was quite simple: connect it to your school via buzzword and the school will fill in your predicted and LoR. All you have to do is write a personal statement (ensure multiple people review it who are alr in the same course at a good uni- all other feedback is bs)then fill in your personal details like name birth date etc and you’re set

If I’m not mistaken, from this year onwards they’re gonna replace personal statement with a form that has multiple questions. That’s something relatively new to ucas. But don’t worry too much cuz the expected approach for UK unis is still slightly more academic than the US or elsewhere

Okay right. Thank youuu

Okay right. Thank youuu

Anytime!
Original post by Anonymous
I got an offer from Cambridge for history and french with a mix of 7, 8 and 9s definitely possible !
I'm a little confsued:

It says that you are the OP, the same OP who said they are in Year 11 contemplating applying to Oxford for Law. And yet you have an offer a month later for Cambridge for History and French?

Either the thread has gremlins in the system or something's not right...
Ok there's something wrong with the thread as it's quoting other replies when it shouldn't be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending