The Student Room Group

Why do these nationals see syrians etc as not white?

Alot of these migrants look white to me etc. Pale skin. Why do people see them as not white.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
White does not necessarily mean pale skin. It usually means European ancestry.
i think because they think you are only white if you are from european descent idk
Dont fink its about colour, more to do with using all mah tax muneh an tekkin all ar fookin jobs. 50 years payin taxes me an ah can't gerra fookin operation...an ave yer seen our roads?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Longshot700
Alot of these migrants look white to me etc. Pale skin. Why do people see them as not white.

White is associated with a certain culture too.
Reply 5

A lot of these Syrians are Muslim and it takes a lot for a Muslim to be considered 'one of us', rightfully so when you look at the comparative liberty and prosperity here vs the Arab World.
Syrians are brown not white. None of them look European and non of them look white
Original post by cubic^3

Usually Northern European as well, Mediterranean, Slavic, etc. people aren't usually called white

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Because they're Arabic, not Caucasian.

Arabs are Caucasoids, just like Europeans - we are all Indo-Germanic peoples

Original post by cubic^3

A lot of people in the Middle East do have European ancestry

As other people mentioned its largely that they come from a completely different culture to Europeans, and tbh physically they are different:

darker skin
all dark brown hair
all brown eyed
diiferent facial structure/features to Europeans

see pics below comparing Syrian kids to European kids:

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Because they're Arabic, not Caucasian.

Original post by Mathemagicien
Arabs are Caucasoids, just like Europeans - we are all Indo-Germanic peoples

Errr nope and nope

Syrians are more Arameans and Assyrians... aka closer to europeans and jews than Arabs. They're mostly descented from phenoicans and Arameans.

Caucasoid is a very unspecific term that has no real meaning. Also while Iranians are an Indo-European people, Arabs, Phenocians and Arameans etc are not. They're more Semitic. Most groups who refer to themselves as arabs is via the language group... not race or ethnicity.
(edited 8 years ago)
they are definitely not whites, if you want to see white muslims then look at the bosniaks or edin dzeko footballer who is pure white skinned unlike the syrians.
Original post by Rakas21
A lot of these Syrians are Muslim and it takes a lot for a Muslim to be considered 'one of us', rightfully so when you look at the comparative liberty and prosperity here vs the Arab World.

And then you complain about integration. Of course people aren't going to integrate when you're basically saying "You're not one of us and its unlikely we'll ever see you like us"
Original post by The_Internet
And then you complain about integration. Of course people aren't going to integrate when you're basically saying "You're not one of us and its unlikely we'll ever see you like us"

To be fair the problems are on both sides. Having lived in Bradford i honestly believe that a lot of them don't really have any motivation to integrate.
Original post by Rakas21
To be fair the problems are on both sides. Having lived in Bradford i honestly believe that a lot of them don't really have any motivation to integrate.

And a lot comes down to how society used to treat people back in the day which hasn't quite reached Bradford. I've had many Asian people ask me "Are they racist over there" because 1970's Britain wasn't exactly rosey for brown people

Comments like yours do not help
Right, let me clear this up. Technically they ARE white (I know in America you're considered white if you're from Europe, certain parts of the Middle East and North Africa.) I also know there are Syrians with blue/green eyes and blonde hair.
I think the problem people have is that their culture is very different, not race. A lot of British people don't like white migrants from the EU, so race is not the problem, it's the culture difference (though race does add to it.)
What does whether or not they're white got to do with anything? It's not their colour which is the problem.
Original post by 90s Roadman
Dont fink its about colour, more to do with using all mah tax muneh an tekkin all ar fookin jobs. 50 years payin taxes me an ah can't gerra fookin operation...an ave yer seen our roads?

could you write it again, in English?
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO SAY THIS. A lot of them are tanned but still look pretty much white to me. A lot of middle-easterners can easily pass as European if they were raised here.

white is not simply a reference to colour - some syrians are pale skinned because they have prob some greek or roman ancestry going back 2000 years when it was colonised, just like turks. there are darker syrians too that have less but more ancestry from north africa/ arabic.

white genrally referes to a european ancestry ( though stricktly speaking many white people are not naturally 'white' but a pink hue, or a very pale brown if from southern europe)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending