The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
that is helpful. Thanks.

Anyone have any idea what the practical is?

Teachers have known for months...
Reply 3
I have no idea! I wish someone would give us a clue though.
Reply 4
teachers have known for months? you serious?
Fointy
Teachers have known for months...

They don't really know what the pracitical is. They get given a list of equipment, chemicals etc to make sure they have before the exam- they don't actually see the paper.

However if a teacher was told to make sure they had pipettes, burette, 0.1 mol NaOH, and 0.1mol HCl they could probably make a pretty good guess that the experiment was going to be a titration. Incidently it probably won't be because that was last years. (CORRECTION- LAST YEAR WAS ENTHALPHY CHANGE, PLAN WAS TITRATION- MY APOLOGIES.)

Remember the actuall experiment is easy- you are guided through it step by step. It is the anaylsis/evaluation/plan part of the practical that take applied knowledge- and the teachers have no idea what is in that part of the exam.
Reply 6
So a titration's not likely then?

Do you think it will be a simple qualitative analysis experiment? i.e. Halides, sulphates, hydroxides.

Maybe even an enthalpy of neutralisation practical.. hmmm
It could be any experiment that you have done in AS- or infact some that you havn't. As I say they guide you through it so it really doesn't matter wheter or not you have practiced it. Exercise 1 needs very little work at all.

If I were revising for the practical exam I would spend the majority of my time on exercise 3- the planning. This is the most tricky bit. Exercise 2 also needs more revision than Ex1.
this site is quite usefull for revision on modules 2 and 3:
http://www.btinternet.com/~chemistry.diagrams/index.htm
My apologies- my first post was incorrect.

The planning exercise last year was a titration. The actual practical was a measure of enthalphy change. So you will not be asked to plan a titration this year, although you could be asked to anaylse one or do one.

The examiners report for the whole of last years chemistry exams can be found here:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5421-6421-WRE-JUN06.PDF

These are particulary usefull as they say exactly where candidates fell down on each part of the exam- as well as stating changes that will be made for the next exam.
Reply 10
Yeah so they teachers only know what the practical is.

It's only going to be a titration, enthalpy change reaction or a test-tube experiment.

We've practiced all 3 in the recent months but I believe we've done more practice titrations than the others leading me to believe we probably have that.

If the teachers know then it's not going to be something you haven't practiced. What have all you people practiced the most?
Reply 11
I think it will be a titration seems thats all we've done. Well I hope so anyway.
all the titration equipment in our room dissapeared magically yesterday, so maybe it's gone to get washed for our prac because that never happens.

Do we need to know about the quick fit or all that load of inorganic analysis, we've got a whole bunch of test tube analysis stuff, are we supposed to really learn it well and everything? Is there anything you can acutally learn for it. Also are the planning and analysing and all that probably just going to be the calorimetry, titration or test tube stuff aswell?
Reply 13
My class are thinking it's either titrations or thermochem too.

Damn I was hoping for a titration for the planning part as looking at one of the past papers am not entirely sure I've ever done the experiment they ask to be planned :eek: Oh well guess I'll just read through it carefully and hope for the best
My teacher has been heavily hinting that it is a titration for the implementation.
I've sort of been posting this around, but it so useful, I think it is worth it. Look at: http://www.zshare.net/download/aqa-practical-tests-doc-s1n.html
It's probably too late, but tough

How much of the chemical test stuff are you learning??
Reply 16
Ha, yes. It is useful. I remember how useful it was when I compiled it.
booraad
Ha, yes. It is useful. I remember how useful it was when I compiled it.

you did it??? lush :biggrin: thanks x
Reply 18
i spoke to the head of department today,and she said it could be anything including organic chemistry like oxidation of alcohols or haloalkane reactions!thats for planning or implementing!
any1 else been told similar?
Reply 19
I bloody well hope not I deliberately ignored this.

Oh crap.

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/AQA AS Chemistry/Unit 3 practicals/AS Class Practicals/YEAR 12 PRACTICAL 12.doc

Latest